ADVERTISEMENT

Well this sounds familiar...

TUBballJunkie

I.T.S. University President
Mar 16, 2003
From newsok.com (Trammel). Site won't let me paste the link for some reason.

Former OU halfback Spencer Tillman talked cryptically the other day about the challenges Bob Stoops faces in returning the Sooners to championship contention. Tillman told our man Jason Kersey that Stoops' biggest problems are "political" and are related to academic standards.

You can read that story from the Monday Oklahoman here.

Tillman refused to elaborate, other than to say the problems begin with "the uneasy tension between academia and athletics and the focus of the administration on dealing with the academic piece first. What's driving the success of that program -- whether they want to acknowledge it or not -- is that football program. Bob's problem is political and it's practical because they're not getting the best athletes because of it."

So I asked Stoops about it Tuesday after his press conference.

And Stoops expressed surprise at the issue. He said he had heard about Tillman's comments but said, "There's no truth to it. I can get in (to school) anyone I want, as long as they meet NCAA requirements."

Stoops said he's under no extra academic restrictions and he said he's not interested in more relaxed standards, because recruiting academic risks generally doesn't pay off.

Stoops also said he knows people will say that he couldn't express frustration or displeasure even if that's the way he felt, but Stoops said that's not true.

OU president David Boren has gradually elevated the university's academic standards and ratings, but Stoops said that hasn't affected the football program. He still recruits strictly by NCAA requirements.

Hoover posed a question to Stoops about why Stoops took a vacation in the middle of the season during the off week before the TCU game. Stoops said that he usually takes some personal time with his family when "my players aren't on campus". The TCU game was around Oct. 4th, putting the off week during the last week of September...why wouldn't Stoops' players be on campus unless he's implying that they really don't attend class which I've long suspected.

I'm OK if you have a bye week and your university is on Fall break (if your university still has a Fall break) to let your players leave, but why would you say they weren't on campus in the middle of a semester when classes were still in session?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT