ADVERTISEMENT

Well it's official now...

Gmoney4WW

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
The conference board voted us in at a 10th place finish next year in basketball. I'm betting they will be eating at least a small portion of crow. We sure as heck better finish above SMU. The way the voting has gone has the auspices of a 9th place SMU finish. I hope our bulked up frontcourt pushes us to the top half of the conference.

12. Tulane
11. E Carolina
10. Tulsa

Last edited:
You prolly thought I was gonna announce a third assistant or a final recruit. [devil]

I honestly think we will be better next year with a chance to be significantly better. Ugboh looks to be an improvement inside and if Falokun is healthy (remember he was wearing a boot for the early conference schedule) our inside game should be light years better than this season. Hopefully Rachal can give us some of the athleticism boost we’re losing with Jeffries. If Hill’s shooting can translate to D-1 I’m feeling good about ball handling and shooting.

Until we can prove we can beat teams on the road, we will always be picked toward the bottom. Next years team could be really good or really bad. Too early to tell.

Reactions: rusty-c
Early computer rankings are:
1. Houston
2. Wichita State
3. Memphis
4. Cincinnati
5. UCF
6. UConn
7. USF
8. SMU
9. Temple
10. Tulsa
11. ECU
12. Tulane

USF, ECU, Tulane and maybe Houston appear correct. I have serious doubts about the rest of those picks.

Cincy and UCF are too high. Also, Memphis should be ahead of Wichita State. Wichita added some good freshman, but I'm not convinced Marshall will be able to mold them into shape quickly enough to be the #2 team in conference.

I think they nailed it. Unless Tulsa can hit at an above average clip from the 3... this is a fair prediction of the league.

Shocking you would agree with that. It’s WAY too low. My guess is the computers don’t know how to account for the new guys. On paper we have a ton more talent now. Ucf will finish at or near the bottom.

I think they nailed it. Unless Tulsa can hit at an above average clip from the 3... this is a fair prediction of the league.
You are not a Tulsa fan, so your opinion doesn't really matter.

We haven't ever finished that low in the entire time we've been in the league. We could finish 7-9 if we don't gel or 4-6 if we do gel. Too early to make those kind of assessments. I don't buy the 10th place finish. Worst we could do is 9th. Tulane, E Carolina, SMU, and possibly UCF will pick up those those last 3 or 4 spots.

Last edited:
When's the last time we finished next-to-next-to-last? If it wasn't during Phillips' last two years, then it hasn't happened since the King era.

Cincy and UCF are too high. Also, Memphis should be ahead of Wichita State. Wichita
added some good freshman, but I'm not convinced Marshall will be able to mold them
into shape quickly enough to be the #2 team in conference.
They are saying the two best coaches in the conf. will finish one-two....Hardaway will
probably have the most talent in the conference, as he is recruiting at/near Calipari's
level.....

We will finally have the size and talent to be in the middle to upper third of the conf.,
depending on Embery-Simpson's waiver status, our ability to handle (and pass) the
ball, and Haith's ability to quickly make a cohesive unit out of a lot of new players..
Which, by the way, has not been his M.O. since he has been here.....

Hill and Joiner must cut two or three turnovers off of last year's numbers if we are to
finish in the 5 or 6 slot, or even hopefully higher.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassmaster33
They are saying the two best coaches in the conf. will finish one-two....Hardaway will
probably have the most talent in the conference, as he is recruiting at/near Calipari's
level.....

We will finally have the size and talent to be in the middle to upper third of the conf.,
depending on Embery-Simpson's waiver status, our ability to handle (and pass) the
ball, and Haith's ability to quickly make a cohesive unit out of a lot of new players..

Hill and Joiner must cut two or three turnovers off of last year's numbers if we are to
finish in the 5 or 6 slot, or even hopefully higher.....
When you say he's recruiting at Calipari's level, you mean he's getting guys who didn't take their own SAT/ACT exams nor will they ever step foot in a classroom right?

UCF is going to be garbage. So is Cincy (especially if some of their players stick in the draft). I can't tell about UConn or Temple.

UCF lost every key player. This list looks suspiciously like a ranking of where teams were in the ratings at the end of the year (recall that WSU made it the final 4 of the NIT and won road games at Clemson and ???). I think this is nothing more than a computer snapshot and not a prediction of next year.

Last edited:
UCONN's placement is laughable
Too high or too low? They have a good recruiting class but I’m not sure who they bring back. Hurley is a bit of an ass but he’s shown that he can build a team and coach.

When you say he's recruiting at Calipari's level, you mean he's getting guys who didn't
take their own SAT/ACT exams nor will they ever step foot in a classroom right?
I was talking about talent, but your question strikes awfully close to the truth...Some
of the one-and-dones may not even know where their class rooms are, much less
attend them....But I think that goes on at all the "usual suspects" where that level of
players usually go....Calipari's current employer may be one of the leaders in that area....

Last edited:
I was talking about talent, but your question strikes awfully close to the truth...Some
of the one-and-dones may not even know where their class rooms are, much less
attend them....But I think that goes on at all the "usual suspects" where that level of
players usually go....Calipari's current employer may one of the leaders in that area....
Well, NCAA rules say they only need to have a C average in 2 classes to be eligible. So, FR take 2 classes in GYM and underwater basket weaving in their 1st semester and pass with a C and then they literally don't have to go to class 2nd semester if they know they're entering the draft. Word on the street is Derrick Rose could barely spell his own name when he got to Memphis, hence why someone else took the ACT for him. It's a sad part of society that kids like that are exploited. I am hoping the NBA does away with the one and done and implements the agreement MLB and college baseball have where if you are drafted out of HS and choose not to sign that pro-contract and go to college, you are not draft eligible again until you complete your 3rd season in college. I believe in college hockey you can be drafted when you turn 18 but you have 3 years to sign a deal with that team and can continue playing college hockey until such a time when you sign the contract.

On paper Memphis is clearly number one in the conference. I don't think they will win the regular season. Houston and Wichita have the top ranked coaches and good returnees. Tulsa has good recruits but not in the neighborhood of Memphis yet.

On paper Memphis is clearly number one in the conference. I don't think they will win the regular season. Houston and Wichita have the top ranked coaches and good returnees. Tulsa has good recruits but not in the neighborhood of Memphis yet.
Wichita won't win it. Even with their newcomers they won't have enough fire power. I think their team this year will be like Shamet's first year / VV's senior season. A couple talented guys on a fringe NCAA team, but not top of the league good.

Memphis and Houston should be ahead of everyone else (if Memphis' class keeps coming together like it seems to be)

USF and UConn are probably next.... then Tulsa, SMU, and Temple.... Then everyone else.

Tulsa has how many minutes per game returning?

Some of you have huge expectations. You have to analyze the other teams' recruiting class and transfers and returning minutes.

When you do... rank 'Em. The list will be close to this.

Being in a legit good conference means you can have an ncaa chance in the middle third if you beat the right teams including nonconference. We do not have to win the title.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
I honestly think we will be better next year with a chance to be significantly better. Ugboh looks to be an improvement inside and if Falokun is healthy (remember he was wearing a boot for the early conference schedule) our inside game should be light years better than this season. Hopefully Rachal can give us some of the athleticism boost we’re losing with Jeffries. If Hill’s shooting can translate to D-1 I’m feeling good about ball handling and shooting.

How could we better next year? We've lost our leading scorer and best rebounder (Jefferies) and our best 3-point shooter and best clutch free throw shooter (Scott) and we still have the same coach (Haith). How can any of that say we will be better?

We've upgraded talent at multiple positions and only went 18-14 last year. I'm not sure that it's likely, but it's also not crazy to think we'll be better. It depends on how a bunch of new guys adjust to playing with each other. Jeffries is a huge loss, but the other guys, as much as I loved them, had enough issues that it's possible the replacements will be better.

As much as I like Sterling Taplin he just wasn’t the player he should have been this past season. I think it had a lot to do with his ankle injury against Nevada. He really didn’t take the time to properly let that injury heal and I think it affected his play the rest of the season. Jeffries is a fantastic all around player, the best we’ve had in awhile, but as others have mentioned he sometimes disappeared for long stretches. Curran Scott was a very good clutch shooter and won several games for us but his ball handling put us in a hole several times. The rest of the players that moved on played few minutes and in some cases way more than they should have.

All of the new players are still question marks at this point but looking at their track records so far it’s very promising. We’re all hoping Hill will be the shooter we’ve been trying to get for a long time. Is he? I don’t know but he has put up big numbers in high school and in some cases going directly against high level competition.

Rachal appears to be in the same athletic mode as Jeffries although without the outside shooting Jeffries displayed. He put up good numbers at LSU as a freshman and at Pearl River he averaged 15 points and almost 9 rebounds per game as a wing. Even though his outside shooting wasn’t great he still shot almost 30% from deep and he had a positive assist to turnover ratio which, I hope, indicates he’s a decent ball handler.

Ugboh appears to be a piece we’ve really been missing for years. He’s big at 6’11” and 250 lbs and averaged 12 points and almost 10 rebounds per game last year. He also made 45 blocks while averaging just over 2 fouls per game. Now his game does have some downsides as he does turn it over around twice per game and he shoots less than 60% from the line but he had some big time offers including Arizona and UCONN. With Ugboh, Falokun (who looked like a real help until he was injured), Igbanu, Horne, and Earley it looks like we’ll have a chance to be very good inside, especially rebounding, and the coach will have lots of options when it comes to creating mismatches.

Finally while some will see Taplin and Scott leaving as a big negative I like to look at it as a chance for Joiner and Jackson to shine. They are both better ball handlers than Scott was and I think Joiner is at least as good a clutch shooter as Scott and probably better overall as well as being a very good rebounder for a guard. Jackson still needs to develop an outside shot but he is a lock down defender that you can put on the opponents best guard and he can be deadly on the drive.

Looking at the upcoming roster, both new players and returnees, I see improvement in multiple areas where we had issues last year including rebounding, interior defense and ball handling. If Hill’s shooting and playmaking can transition to D-1 competition then we could even be a better shooting team next year. There are lots of unknowns at this time but I think I have good reason to feel we’ll not only be better next year but if all the moving parts can mesh we could be significantly better.

We've upgraded talent at multiple positions and only went 18-14 last year. I'm not sure that it's likely, but it's also not crazy to think we'll be better. It depends on how a bunch of new guys adjust to playing with each other. Jeffries is a huge loss, but the other guys, as much as I loved them, had enough issues that it's possible the replacements will be better.
On paper, we've added quality depth, especially in the front court. We added a legit rim protector who looks more polished than either of the bigs we added last season. We've added some really good pieces. Rachal may be able to replicate Jeffries' production. I think Horne will be a better defender with more court time and he's a true swing 4 that will or should get defenses to extend giving our bigs a chance for put backs. Last year Igbanu was our only post threat and if he was out of the game we simply became very 1 dimensional and defenses were able to push us further away from the basket.

We added 6 guys 3-4 of which are expected to make significant contributions. We also add Reggie Jones off of a RS season who has potential. We have a couple guys that are semi-steady producers in the post and from deep in Igbanu and Horne, and we return a good utility player in Korita. Hoping that Embery's waiver is approved, and that Joiner + Jackson improve.

Last edited:
When do we know when Embery”s waiver will be approved?

TU lost its mojo the last one third of the season and Scott had one excellent 23 point game then promptly fell back to his 10 point average. Tapplin never did have a great scoring game all season and TU never had a go to player that was reliable from the arc .

I never understood why we didn’t set more screens for Scott at the three point line and have him catch and shoot squared up to the basket off those screens. We would occasionally utilize him in that manner off inbounds plays but ran very few plays for him in our offensive sets. He didn’t miss many open looks.

If our AD does not get the waiver, then what can he do? Everyone touts his compliance expertise but does he really have any expertise?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT