ADVERTISEMENT

WE NEED A COACH

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Kelly Jines just broke the inevitable news that BB has been fired. Gragg said that it was decided the program needed to go in a different direction. Now to find out who the actual candidates are...I actually hope Gragg hits this out of the park as well even if it means it is shrouded in secrecy.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I have no access to the payboard, but I did read an interesting post on the csnbbs board regarding a coach in the state of Colorado.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
McElwain @Co State? Likely the next Florida HC
I believe Jester is referring to Bob Stitt, the Colorado School of Mines coach that Dan Wolken has fawned over for the past year.

"And if you set out to discover who that next innovator might be, you'll invariably be led to a tiny engineering school nestled in the Rocky Mountain foothills where Stitt, 48, has built a consistent winner and done things offensively that programs like West Virginia, Texas A&M, Louisiana Tech and Cincinnati have borrowed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/10/29/bob-stitt-fly-sweep-colorado-school-of-mines-college-football-offense/1659819/

Under normal circumstances Justin Fuentes would be among the first coaches contacted. Safe to assume BB has poisoned this option?

We don't have to go too far to find a new coach. There are at least half a dozen posters on this board who said they could coach better than Blankenship. Let's start with them.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Under normal circumstances Justin Fuentes would be among the first coaches contacted. Safe to assume BB has poisoned this option?
He will have much better options, IMO. Maybe not this year but soon.

congrats on shedding Blankenship. I miss you guys being a solid football team and a championship contender. Good luck to you and hope you get a quality in there.

I think Phil Montgomery, Baylor OC, would be a great pick if we could get him. Can recruit the state of Texas and runs great offensive scheme.

Originally posted by jerandlaur:
We don't have to go too far to find a new coach. There are at least half a dozen posters on this board who said they could coach better than Blankenship. Let's start with them.
I had the same thought earlier.

I don't remember who they were, but I think MVCane or something like that is at the top of the list.

Who were the others?

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Law,

Why do you tie Fuente to BB, he's a proven coach whose football ties are over 20 years ago. Not saying he would or should be contacted just don't understand the logic tying him to his high school coach. I agree with Junkie he will have bigger options soon.

No - Mvccane is probably not the football mind we need. But Mvccane could recognize his limitations and would not have doubled down like our old coach did.

We need competence - no less than a successful coordinator at a good program. We need somebody with ambition, ruthlessness and energy.

We don't need to spend $1.5M for the above. Contract should be front end loaded - with regard to not allowing the coach to move (without a heavy penalty) after one or two seasons.

There has been a lot of good names thrown around already on these boards.

Mark Thompson (believe he is local sportscaster but on a channel I don't watch) said Rhett Lashlee is interested. Seeing how Auburn's offense carved up Alabama last year and this year, why not and I'm sure Gus is pushing him as well. Auburn didn't win that game because of its defense (and the DC was fired yesterday).

Originally posted by rabidhurricanefan:

Could we get the Baylor OC? Would this be a big enough job for him or is he watng for a bigger gig?
I'm not saying that we couldn't get him, but he is recognized as one of the top OCs in the business, if not the top. We would have to go after him with, at least, a Haith like salary.

Montgomery was honored as the Offensive Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop and was named a finalist for the Broyles Award given to the nation's top assistant. And that was last year. This year was another banner year.

He is not exactly a secret. On the other hand, if we were able to get him it would be a grand slam walk-off homerun.

There are lots of good coaches out there but we need to move fast because more openings are about to come online, probably Michigan included. Nebraska didn't hesitate a second to fire Pelini. SMU moved fairly quickly. All things considered, Dr. Gragg moved pretty quick and on the timeline I thought he would. This search has to identify the candidate and get him in as quick as possible. Football searches are much different than basketball. By the time basketball coaching searches come around, you are past the NLI date and coaches basically need to recruit any defections or openings. Football, NLI is still 2 months away. New coach needs to come in, hire a staff, evaluate what he has in terms of player personnel and what is needed immediately and short term and then to try and keep verbal commitments that they want to keep in the mix. Plus they need to re-recruit current players to stick with TU as well.

The thing about the list(s) I have seen so far is that there are no retreads, no TU alums necessarily, and there are a lot of young up-and-coming coordinators who are hungry and will absolutely push to make TU dynamic again. Personally, from what I was able to see from the Auburn offense, it would be exciting to have a guy like Lashlee come in and bring some mad pace back to Chapman.

Don't think for a second that Lashlee called one play in the Alabama/Auburn game. That offense is Gus - Gus - Gus. I'm not saying Lashlee is a good or bad choice. What I am saying is that he is the Deputy OC at Auburn right now - not the OC.

MVC Cane, do you think? I think Lashless calls a bunch of the offense but Gus has a lot of input

Kitty, not sure if you followed our basketball search last spring, but if you're bearing someone is a front runner there is a good chance he might not even be a candidate. Current AD has a way of keeping everything close to the cuff and very hush hush in a day and age when news leaks more than the Hoover Dam.

Originally posted by mvccane:

Don't think for a second that Lashlee called one play in the Alabama/Auburn game. That offense is Gus - Gus - Gus. I'm not saying Lashlee is a good or bad choice. What I am saying is that he is the Deputy OC at Auburn right now - not the OC.
Both Gus and Lashlee have stated that Lashlee calls most of the plays. Gus says they have been together so long that both know what is coming next. Rarely will Gus shake him off a play. Lashlee I think is from this area , at least the Springdale area.

I like the Stitt idea but it is definitely a wild card. Buffalo just hired Leopold from WI-Whitewater, a D3 (I think) powerhouse. Ohio State replaced John Cooper with a I-AA coach from Youngstown State, some guy named Tressel. They did OK with him. It can be a gamble because you never know what kind of recruiting clout a lower level guy can have.

Lower level coaches recruit just as much as the big guys. The difference for a lower level guy would be the change in skill level.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Mark Thompson (believe he is local sportscaster but on a channel I don't watch) said Rhett Lashlee is interested. Seeing how Auburn's offense carved up Alabama last year and this year, why not and I'm sure Gus is pushing him as well. Auburn didn't win that game because of its defense (and the DC was fired yesterday).
Being able to orchestrate a high powered offense is nice, but having the skills to run a program is most important. Thus I believe TU's next HC must have HC'ing experience, some of which was at a private University.

Butch Davis checks all the boxes, but does Dr. Gragg want to hire another anothrr HC who has been investigated by the NCAA?

TX

Want to recommend someone to you guys.

UAB's Head Coach Bill Clark. Great coach and if UAB shuts down the football program he will be able to bring some players that play immediately. Will need help learning the recruiting area, but an in-the-know recruiting staff will help with that.

http://footballscoop.com/news/bill-clark/

I like Lincoln Riley from ECU. He's young but has been OC for last 5 years at ECU. Has ties to TX and could definitely bring in some excitement to the program.
Herb Hand would also be an interesting choice and he wants the job.

When it shows how much they improved in one year from the previous staff it is very exciting.

Originally posted by Cane94:
I like Lincoln Riley from ECU. He's young but has been OC for last 5 years at ECU. Has ties to TX and could definitely bring in some excitement to the program.
Herb Hand would also be an interesting choice and he wants the job.
I was not terribly excited about ECU's offense last week and it seemed to sputter down the stretch. Its easy to be an OC when you have top line talent such as Carden and Hardy, but those are players that worked their way through and blossomed. Heck, Hardy is the all-time NCAA receptions leader. Questions would be can he recruit? I don't doubt his system works, but can he recruit enough talent here to make it work sooner rather than later.

Herb Hand- he wasn't even on my radar until Hoover's blog/column yesterday. What an intriguing possibility. I know everyone is clamoring for a top line coordinator or current HC or someone who has HC experience. But Herb Hand...recruited the talent that made Vanderbilt 9-4 for 2 consecutive seasons. Helped with the turnaround at Penn State after the death-penalty like sanctions and continued their development this season. When he was at TU, our O-line was as good as ever. Disciplined, tough, few penalties. He is also very likely the reason many of the OL who played in 2012 were at TU. No one would doubt that those players were a bunch of tough MFers who instilled their will on opposing DL. Take a look at his TU bio from a few years ago:

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hand_herb00.html

On top of the coaching resume he has built, everyone knows Herb Hand is a stand up guy with as much integrity and values as BB had. Didn't he run a food drive to assist Haiti/Dominican Republic while he was here?

I didn't even consider Hand until that article appeared. But, when you look at his track record, including his years here, then he jumps out at you.

The hits against him are that most people are gonna be like us BLA, they don't know much about him, or they have a diffidence for anyone tied to TG.

I think he would be a great get, but I also am curious about some of the other coordinators mentioned.

That said, I have a gut feeling that TU already had someone at the top of their list. and the hiring of the search firm is more to vet the guy and confirm there isn't some "bush watering" incident laying out there.

Agreed BAS. Someone should ask Jake Alexander or Dupy about Herb as I am sure they would know a lot. The fact that Hand did the Chopped gig playing for childhood cancer patients because of his time with Wilson Holloway and his work on the aforementioned food drives.

The wiki reference to him being the recruiting coordinator for Rich Rod at WVa during their great years is very telling to me that Hand is organized and influential in that area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT