ADVERTISEMENT

Warching UCF & Temple...

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
It is easy to see that they both have better athletes on both sides of the ball than we do...

It is easy to see that they both have better athletes on both sides of the ball than we do...

You realize we played Temple? They didn't out athlete us. Our coach made terrible decisions.

There is not one game where this team has been physically whipped. Not one, including an sec team, Temple, and 3 top 25 teams.

I do see a well coached Temple team capable of being multi dimensional, pulling off gadget plays, and creating mismatches.

A coaching staff on both sides who make smart decisions and create positive opportunities for their players. Actually scheming up advantages and calling plays to set up other plays.

Reactions: maverickfp
We have been outgained by every D1 team we’ve played this season....all 7. Sometimes by large margins. We might not have been physically whipped in those games but we have been outplayed based on both yardage gained and the scoreboard. Our 1-7 record has been earned.

UCF hasn’t lost a game in almost two years and they still can’t crack the top 10 btw.

Last edited:
We have been outgained by every D1 team we’ve played this season....all 7. Sometimes by large margins. We might not have been physically whipped in those games but we have been outplayed based on both yardage gained and the scoreboard. Our 1-7 record has been earned.

UCF hasn’t lost a game in almost two years and they still can’t crack the top 10 btw.
we outplayed Temple and turnovers killed us

Reactions: HuffyCane
Tulsa get good recruits and some need strength and conditioning other need experience but our weakness has been over the years are graduating starting QBs.

Last edited:
We have a good team because we been all the games and our QB situation been hampering us this season.

To be fair the only decent teams they play this year are Temple, Cincinnati, and USF, and they are all at the tail end of their schedule. And temple is beating them by a touchdown at half. I might have put them above Washington St, Florida, &/or Kentucky before this game, but it is debatable between the three of them.

To be fair the only decent teams they play this year are Temple, Cincinnati, and USF, and they are all at the tail end of their schedule. And temple is beating them by a touchdown at half. I might have put them above Washington St, Florida, &/or Kentucky before this game, but it is debatable between the three of them.

You can say the same thing about Alabama. You can also say that for most of Notre Dame remaining schedule.

To be fair though Pitt looks a bit better than decent for UCF. FAU was coming off a 10 win season and cusa championship and UNC had been ranked when that series was signed. Missing that game may actually help them.

Listen to the announcers talk about play calling and how the coaches are setting there team up for success. That's what good coaching does.

We don't ever do that. A play against Houston this year is the only time I have heard a commentator talk about what a good call this staff made.

To be fair the only decent teams they play this year are Temple, Cincinnati, and USF, and they are all at the tail end of their schedule. And temple is beating them by a touchdown at half. I might have put them above Washington St, Florida, &/or Kentucky before this game, but it is debatable between the three of them.[/QUOTE
we have the players but not the QB experience to be effective

UCF has some seasoned guys on offense. Milton- we could all bake a cake with him at QB. Skillens is a really good jitterbug type of back.

UCFs main fault this year is how many guys they lost on defense from last year.

Our faults this year have been inexperience at the QB position combined with ineffective play calling.

We had over 400 yards against Temple they had a little over 300 yards but we had 5 turnovers

You can say the same thing about Alabama. You can also say that for most of Notre Dame remaining schedule.

To be fair though Pitt looks a bit better than decent for UCF. FAU was coming off a 10 win season and cusa championship and UNC had been ranked when that series was signed. Missing that game may actually help them.
While Pitt wasn't a bad team and was the highlight on their schedule before the Temple game, Ole Miss & Texas A&M > Pitt

...and you must mean Notre Dame as a joke, cuz you can't be serious with that comment.

UCF's SOS is 125. North Dakota State's is 126 for reference. TU's is 70.

...and you must mean Notre Dame as a joke, cuz you can't be serious with that comment.

Notre Dame's remaining schedule

Northwestern will be 1 game above .500 if ND wins, is probably a 7 win team in a terrible big 10 west (which they could win at 7-5)

Florida St. May not be .500 when they play and miss a bowl, good chance a 4 win team

Syracuse is decent but probably an 8 win team max.

USC is probably a 6-6 team and with UCLA improving and it being a rivalry they could finish below .500 and miss a bowl in a bad PAC south, in ne even worse PAC.

ND has wins against 3-7 Ball St, 4-5 Vanderbilt who is probably finishing with one more win, 4-4 Wake who might be favored in one game left on their schedule, a 4-3 Virginia Tech who might be favored in one remaining scheduled game.

They have good wins over Michigan who could still end up short of 10 wins with Penn St and Ohio St left and Stanford who is a 8-9 win team. Neither of whom may end up winning their division.

They will share two opponents in common, Pitt who Notre Dame barely beat and UCF crushed and Navy who UCF will play shortly.

UCF still has what will likely be a ranked Cincy, USF, and Houston in the championship game. Their will be little difference in their schedule and will play the same number of games.

ND will likely face 5-6 teams on its schedule with losing records. Stanford may end ranked, Syracuse could, and Michigan should.

UCF is looking at 4-5 teams with losing records. One of Cincy/USF should finished ranked, the other may, Houston should.

Comparing "names" its not close, comparing the actual teams and records tell a different story.

Ohio St has a similar problem.

Alabama does too.

Clemson isn't looking all that pretty either.

I will bet you that ND's schedule's will be ranked 40 spots ahead of UCF's when all is said and done. Same with Bama, Ohio State and Clemson. There's not a team on UCF's schedule currently ranked in the top 45 per Sagarin.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I will bet you that ND's schedule's will be ranked 40 spots ahead of UCF's when all is said and done. Same with Bama, Ohio State and Clemson. There's not a team on UCF's schedule currently ranked in the top 45 per Sagarin.

Let's use a real computer poll. One that doesn't include the names and is based on purely this season.

Colley Matrix

#9) UCF, three top50 opponents
23) Cincy
24) Houston
27) UCF
54) Temple
Avg of top four: 32

55) Pitt

91) SMU
92) FAU
96) Memphis
97) Tulane
Avg excluding Pitt next four: 94

104) ECU
109) Navy
120) UConn
Avg excluding Navy bottom two: 112

#2) Notre Dame, four top50 teams
05) Michigan
26) Syracuse
28 ) Stanford
41) Northwestern
Avg top four: 25

55) Pitt

63) USC
64) Vandy
70) Virgina Tech
72) Florida St
Avg excluding Pitt next four: 64

73) Wake
109) Navy
114) Ball st
Avg excluding Navy bottom two: 94

Yup huge difference there

Sagarin is the best computer poll going. Take a lap on Colley. It's the same ridiculous computer poll which ranked ND ahead of Bama in 2013 after Bama beat ND 42-14 in the BCS title game. Colley has always been the outlier of polls and methodology is fatally flawed on a number of areas.

Colley currently has Bama 4th. Anyone who believes that's an accurate reflection of the college football landscape can take another lap. Might look at Vegas btw and compare their spreads to Sagarin and Colley.

Sagarin is the best computer poll going. Take a lap on Colley. It's the same ridiculous computer poll which ranked ND ahead of Bama in 2013 after Bama beat ND 42-14 in the BCS title game. Colley has always been the outlier of polls and methodology is fatally flawed on a number of areas.

Colley currently has Bama 4th. Anyone who believes that's an accurate reflection of the college football landscape can take another lap. Might look at Vegas btw and compare their spreads to Sagarin and Colley.

Because supposedly every game counts.

Colley is like rpi, it doesn't care who the team is, only what they have done. The other computer have human elements.

You realize Bama's schedule looks remarkably like UCF's right now? Two decent teams with some good teams waiting at the end? Auburn, Miss St, ole Miss, and AnM are all looking at being a game within .500 either way. Arkansas is horrible. Louisville is horrible, Tenn is horrible, Arkie St isn't looking good. They'll get someone solid in the sec game if they get there, which they didn't last year.

Northwestern will be 1 game above .500 if ND wins, is probably a 7 win team in a terrible big 10 west (which they could win at 7-5)

Florida St. May not be .500 when they play and miss a bowl, good chance a 4 win team

USC is probably a 6-6 team and with UCLA improving and it being a rivalry they could finish below .500 and miss a bowl in a bad PAC south, in ne even worse PAC.

ND has wins against 3-7 Ball St, 4-5 Vanderbilt who is probably finishing with one more win, 4-4 Wake who might be favored in one game left on their schedule, a 4-3 Virginia Tech who might be favored in one remaining scheduled game.

They have good wins over Michigan who could still end up short of 10 wins with Penn St and Ohio St left and Stanford who is a 8-9 win team. Neither of whom may end up winning their division.

They will share two opponents in common, Pitt who Notre Dame barely beat and UCF crushed and Navy who UCF will play shortly.

UCF still has what will likely be a ranked Cincy, USF, and Houston in the championship game. Their will be little difference in their schedule and will play the same number of games.

ND will likely face 5-6 teams on its schedule with losing records. Stanford may end ranked, Syracuse could, and Michigan should.

UCF is looking at 4-5 teams with losing records. One of Cincy/USF should finished ranked, the other may, Houston should.

Comparing "names" its not close, comparing the actual teams and records tell a different story.

Alabama does too.

Can you not read? I was commenting on Lawpoke's remark that UCF wasn't even PRESENTLY sniffing the top 10. Thus I don't give a crap about what Notre Dame's future schedule looks like, just like I don't give a flying f about UCF's or Alabama's future schedule.(in context) Neither of those have to do with why UCF can or can't presently sniff the top 10. Present tense schedule before Temple, UCF's highlight was Pitt. Pitt < Texas A&M and Ole Miss, in comment to your remark about Alabama being weaker. Stay on topic.

Colley doesn't take into account margin of victory either. Which, imo, is a huge omission. I can look at Bama at realize they are currently the clear cut #1 team in the country...as can Vegas. The fact that Colley places them at 4th or placed ND ahead of them in 2013 after getting thrashed by them in the natty tells me that index has some serious issues. Again....look at the various computer polls and compare them with Vegas spreads if you want to get an idea of whose most accurate.

Can you not read? I was commenting on Lawpoke's remark that UCF was even PRESENTLY sniffing the top 10 yet. Thus I don't give a crap about what Notre Dame's future schedule looks like, just like I don't give a flying f about UCF's or Alabama's future schedule.(in context) Neither of those have to do with why UCF can or can't presently sniff the top 10. Present tense schedule before Temple, UCF's highlight was Pitt. Pitt < Texas A&M and Ole Miss, in comment to your remark about Alabama being weaker. Stay with the subject.

Pitt is better lol

And to figure out who belongs in the top 10 you have to compare at least 11 teams to each other. You know so you can have 10 ranked.

Your view on sos is not based in reality. It doesn't occur in a vacuum and the entirity of it is required to make comparisons.

So I can read just fine. Your argument was trash. Beginning with the premise two teams who can't win their trash division is better than someone who can.

Colley doesn't take into account margin of victory either. Which, imo, is a huge omission. I can look at Bama at realize they are currently the clear cut #1 team in the country...as can Vegas. The fact that Colley places them at 4th or placed ND ahead of them in 2013 after getting thrashed by them in the natty tells me that index has some serious issues. Again....look at the various computer polls and compare them with Vegas spreads if you want to get an idea of whose most accurate.

Spreads aren't about which team is better but about where the most action will be. By the way UCF is incredible at covering the spread and did so again last night, go look into it.

More importantly while head to head matters we are repeatedly told every game counts. We beat Houston head to head last year. Should we have finished ranked in front of them?

Again like rpi, the colley matrix doesn't care about scores because that can vary based on conditions. It measures how strong your record is against other teams.

Of course what this really comes down to is your bias ''eye test". What did the "eye test" say about UCF last year?

Sorry, I'll stick with facts. Luckily this will most likely be solved this year as the A5s are horrible this year. Two or three of the conferences will be finishing with three loss champs or worse. An undefeated UCF will be hard to keep out with out legal action happening.

Pitt is better lol

And to figure out who belongs in the top 10 you have to compare at least 11 teams to each other. You know so you can have 10 ranked.

Your view on sos is not based in reality. It doesn't occur in a vacuum and the entirity of it is required to make comparisons.

So I can read just fine. Your argument was trash. Beginning with the premise two teams who can't win their trash division is better than someone who can.
In a conversation about ranking, future schedules don't come into play. Done with this boneheaded conversation. The rest of it isn't even worth commenting on.This is starting to resemble someone else who comments on sports related topics and can't realize he is going down a hole.

Sorry Lawpoke didn't respond on my comment, considering that was who I was directing my quoted remark to.

In a conversation about ranking, future schedules don't come into play. Done with this boneheaded conversation. The rest of it isn't even worth commenting on.This is starting to resemble someone else who comments on sports related topics and can't realize he is going down a hole.

Sorry Lawpoke didn't respond on my comment, considering that was who I was directing my quoted remark to.

Then scheduling shouldn't come into ranking.

Meanwhile Alabama's schedule still isn't better than UCF's right now and basically mirrors it.

Notre Dame has one game better than UCF right now.

As I said your argument even based on your own rules is trash.

Vegas is still the best predictor of a teams strength. While lines are set to get even money on both sides line movement is generally driven by the wise guys. They don’t have P5 bias btw. In the end, the final line is a damn good indicator of the strength of a team. That said, Sagarin generally does the best job mirroring those lines. Colley is probably the worst at measuring actual team strength due to its deficiencies which have been discussed. The 2013 final Colley rankings are the perfect example as is the current placement of Bama. It’s just a bad system and has been for years. Ignoring margin of victory is only one of its shortcomings

UCF won’t touch the playoffs this year or any other year without a top 10-15 team on their schedule. When you play don’t play in a P5 conference you must schedule such a game if you have any hope of reaching the playoff. Remember...I was the one that said the current system was set up (in part) to ensure all P5 participants. Its a racquet.

Last edited:
Vegas is still the best predictor of a teams strength. While lines are set to get even money on both sides line movement is generally driven by the wise guys. They don’t have P5 bias btw. In the end, the final line is a damn good indicator of the strength of a team. That said, Sagarin generally does the best job mirroring those lines. Colley is probably the worst at measuring actual team strength due to its deficiencies which have been discussed. The 2013 final Colley rankings are the perfect example as is the current placement of Bama. It’s just a bad system and has been for years. Ignoring margin of victory is only one of its shortcomings

UCF won’t touch the playoffs this year or any other year without a top 10-15 team on their schedule. When you play don’t play in a P5 conference you must schedule such a game if you have any hope of reaching the playoff. Remember...I was the one that said the current system was set up (in part) to ensure all P5 participants. Its a racquet.

It's a racquet, but one built on a fatal flaw, that by excluding others the dominance of the included would eliminate competition. The problem is they were so busy telling everyone that wasn't the case that some kids turned around and believed them.

Now the p5 is losing the short term bounce they got with the realignment money and cfp switch. It is very possible UCF will finish undefeated and there won't be four teams left with fewer than 2 losses. Going to be awful hard to exclude them in such a scenario. Which means one way or another the flaw is exposing the cartel.

Disagree. The P5s are stronger today than at anytime in the history of realignment. There has never been a greater descrepency in money. The difference in attendance of games is also huge. A non-P5 team has a streak of success and a P5 conference will add them further diluting those schools not invited to the party. See the likes of TCU and Utah. It is what it is and it’s not changing imo.

Alabama does too.

Nd plays a schedule filled with names of yesterday's powers

It's a racquet, but one built on a fatal flaw, that by excluding others the dominance of the included would eliminate competition. The problem is they were so busy telling everyone that wasn't the case that some kids turned around and believed them.

Now the p5 is losing the short term bounce they got with the realignment money and cfp switch. It is very possible UCF will finish undefeated and there won't be four teams left with fewer than 2 losses. Going to be awful hard to exclude them in such a scenario. Which means one way or another the flaw is exposing the cartel.
This is why we need a playoff with more than 4 teams.

Disagree. The P5s are stronger today than at anytime in the history of realignment. There has never been a greater descrepency in money. The difference in attendance of games is also huge. A non-P5 team has a streak of success and a P5 conference will add them further diluting those schools not invited to the party. See the likes of TCU and Utah. It is what it is and it’s not changing imo.

Ws and Ls say different. They got a bump. Money is important resources always are, still doesn't decide things, it's a factor but not the decider.

Ws and Ls say different. They got a bump. Money is important resources always are, still doesn't decide things, it's a factor but not the decider.

It’s all that matters long term. As I stated earlier, the non-P5 is weaker today on a whole than we’ve ever seen. More money descrepency, attendance, facilities, etc.. iand n the long run and in a macro level it all leads back to $$$.

And Pittsburgh knocks off a ranked UVA team. Notre Dame and UCF get a little bump with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT