ADVERTISEMENT

Wainwright officially announced as assistant coach

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Following up on our report from May 20, TU has now officially announced Jerry Wainwright as an assistant coach. Not sure what took so long.

TULSA, Okla. –– Jerry Wainwright, a college coaching veteran of 32 years, was named as an assistant basketball coach at The University of Tulsa, it was officially announced today by Golden Hurricane Head Coach Frank Haith.

Wainwright has spent a total of 45 years coaching on either the high school or college level. Among his 32 seasons coaching collegiately, 16 years has been as a head coach with stops at UNC Wilmington (1994-2002), Richmond (2002-05) and DePaul (2005-10).

Wainwright returns to coaching after one year away from the college game. It was 30 years ago when Wainwright and Haith first met as members of the coaching staff at Wake Forest University.

At Wake, Wainwright helped recruit and coach two players who were named to the ACC's 50th Anniversary basketball team in the likes of Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan as well coaching 1993 ACC Player of the Year Rodney Rogers.

"Coach Wainwright and I go back over 30 years when I first started in the profession as a graduate assistant coach at Wake Forest. My foundation as a coach began at Wake and Jerry was a big part of that," said Haith. "Throughout my career, Jerry has been one of the country's most respected coaches and it's not just for his terrific basketball acumen. Jerry is first and foremost a genuine person and he and his wife Debbie will be terrific additions to the City of Tulsa and our University community."

"As a coach, Jerry has had a special career. He has won more than 200 games as a head coach and has had success into March with his programs. Defensively, he was a big asset to Buzz Williams at Marquette and more recently as an assistant at Fresno State, where he helped that program make quick defensive improvement and reach the NCAA Tournament," said Haith. "Jerry brings terrific experience to Tulsa and I am excited to be able to work with him once again."

This past season, Wainwright was away from college coaching, but couldn't stay away from the game itself.

"My year of retirement wasn't really retirement. I was working with a foundation for at-risk youth called Life Hoops, where I was still around the game working with the kids and coaches," said Wainwright. "I was also able to attend practices at all different levels, watch a lot of practices and tape and talk with a number of coaches and teams, so it was a good sabbatical."

Wainwright returns to coaching with Haith, who he helped mentor as a young coach. He also coached at Fresno State under Rodney Terry and Marquette under Buzz Williams, two coaches that he helped tutor in their younger years as well.

Most recently, Wainwright was in his second stint on Terry's staff at Fresno State for four seasons (2014-18). He helped the Bulldogs post 81 wins in four years and three 20+ win seasons along with a Mountain West Championship and NCAA Tournament appearance in 2016. He served in that same position at FSU during the 2011-12 season before joining Marquette as an assistant coach from 2012-14 under Williams. In 2012-13, the Golden Eagles recorded an overall 26-9 record and made their first Elite Eight appearance since 2003.

"I missed the opportunity to coach on the floor last year. Working with kids is what I've done my whole life, but my return was only going to be in a situation where it was a perfect fit and centered around the people. With Frank, Rodney and Buzz those are all guys I met really early in their careers and they've all gone on and done great things. To be able to come full circle and help them just as they helped me at different times in my life, is something I never thought would happen," said Wainwright.

"The American Athletic Conference is one of the top-5 leagues in the country and to have the opportunity to work at this level of competition with a man that I have seen grown in coaching is an incredible opportunity. It's great to get back and do something I love with someone I truly respect."

"My goal is still the same, to be part of a Final 4 Team. This is an excellent basketball team and outstanding program. I use the analogy of a high-performance car, hopefully I can help it go two seconds faster and reach the finish line first. I'm humbled for the opportunity that Frank has entrusted in me," added Wainwright.

With 16 years of college head coaching under his belt, Wainwright's last head coaching stop was a five-year stretch on the sidelines at DePaul. During his collegiate head coaching tenure, Wainwright took his teams to seven postseason tournaments including three NCAA berths and four National Invitation Tournament (NIT) appearances.

Before his stint at DePaul, Wainwright took two of his three Richmond teams to the postseason, compiling a three-year mark of 50-42.

Prior to taking over at Richmond, Wainwright enjoyed a highly successful run as head coach at UNC-Wilmington. In eight seasons at UNCW, he compiled a 136-103 (.569) record. Wainwright piloted the Seahawks to a pair of trips to the NCAA Tournament (2000, 2002) and the NIT (1998, 2001). During his tenure, the team captured three regular season Colonial Athletic Association titles and two CAA tournament crowns.

Preceding his time in Wilmington, he spent nine years as an assistant coach at Wake Forest. Under Bob Staak (1986-89) and Dave Odom (1989-94), he helped rebuild the Demon Deacons' program. He broke into the college coaching ranks in 1984-85 serving a one-year stint at Xavier under Staak.

A 1968 graduate of Colorado College in Colorado Springs, Colo., Wainwright earned his graduate degree from the University of Denver.

A native of Berwyn, Ill., Wainwright began his coaching career in the prep ranks first at Montrose High School in Denver where he led his team to the state tournament and was named Colorado District Coach of the Year in 1975.

Wainwright returned to his native state, Illinois, as an assistant coach at East Leyden High School in suburban Chicago. While there, he helped teams compile an impressive four-year 104-4 record. Wainwright also coached at Chicago's Highland Park High School, directing his team to the state's "Sweet 16" in 1982.

Wainwright's wife's name is Debbie.

Following in the footsteps of Tom Abetemarco and Ken McDonald. Sort of a visiting professor...designated Grandfather.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT