ADVERTISEMENT

Vs SMU 10/29 2:30 pm

Looking like good weather for the game:

high of 65° and partly cloudy - perfect fall weather 🍁 🍻 🏈

Reactions: Sbellini
Sucks but really matters little to me personally.
It was either 2:30 on ESPN+ or 11:00am ESPNU. Neither would have been a great option. As huffy mentioned previously, we won’t be getting any scheduling/timing favors from the league.

It was either 2:30 on ESPN+ or 11:00am ESPNU. Neither would have been a great option. As huffy mentioned previously, we won’t be getting any scheduling/timing favors from the league.
Homecoming is the game where the in-person crowd really matters, esp with a band before, and if your school pres is trying to build ties with the community thru athletics. 11:00am game time would have been a disaster, and the optics miserable. 2:30 is great. I personally think the "conference trying to screw us" meme is an urban myth but in this case at least, they did us a huge solid when they could easily have bent us over.

Kinda feel like the "woe is me" victimhood schtick doesn't look good on us, esp when Occam's Razor suggests that negatives from the conference reflect that we're a small school with a small fanbase and a crappy team that plays bad football. Would you want our team to be the one experience with AAC football for a casual fan? Fire Monty, get a good team and then let's see what happens.

Homecoming is the game where the in-person crowd really matters, esp with a band before, and if your school pres is trying to build ties with the community thru athletics. 11:00am game time would have been a disaster, and the optics miserable. 2:30 is great. I personally think the "conference trying to screw us" meme is an urban myth but in this case at least, they did us a huge solid when they could easily have bent us over.

Kinda feel like the "woe is me" victimhood schtick doesn't look good on us, esp when Occam's Razor suggests that negatives from the conference reflect that we're a small school with a small fanbase and a crappy team that plays bad football. Would you want our team to be the one experience with AAC football for a casual fan? Fire Monty, get a good team and then let's see what happens.
Night games always have a better atmosphere. However, 2:30 is absolutely better than 11:00am. 11:00am games suck in general, no matter who is playing.

Night games always have a better atmosphere. However, 2:30 is absolutely better than 11:00am. 11:00am games suck in general, no matter who is playing.
I personally like 2:30 for homecoming because you can do things after, esp if you're coming back from out of town. Can look around campus, go to dinner where you used to go when you were a student, etc.

I personally like 2:30 for homecoming because you can do things after, esp if you're coming back from out of town. Can look around campus, go to dinner where you used to go when you were a student, etc.
Well I hope you take advantage of all those things Saturday.

I think the 'conference is trying to screw us' is sort of true. In the sense that other teams will be looked out for, and if we get screwed, the conference doesn't really care. Other teams were likely the reason we got the 2:30p slot. It was in their interest probably not ours, that we got the 2:30p slot. Just so happens in this instance, we were happier with that slot. If it had been a road game/not homecoming I would have been just fine with the 11a slot and more viewers.

I think the 'conference is trying to screw us' is sort of true. In the sense that other teams will be looked out for, and if we get screwed, the conference doesn't really care. Other teams were likely the reason we got the 2:30p slot. It was in their interest probably not ours, that we got the 2:30p slot. Just so happens in this instance, we were happier with that slot. If it had been a road game/not homecoming I would have been just fine with the 11a slot and more viewers.
Is it anything we don't deserve? Our team is crappy and has a history of on field behavior problems. I can't blame them for trying to hide a bad team whose players chase the other team down the tunnel to fight. When we get our house in order and aren't embarrassing, then we can complain. Until then, we can't expect to reap what we don't sow.

Also, other than vague comments from huffy, are there actually any facts to think the conference is trying to screw us? I bet 90% of schools think they're getting the shaft from their conference.

Looks like the 11am bug finally got us for the Tulane game. 😑
Still says tbd on espn. Are you talking about TU's site? That site had us at 11a originally for the SMU game, so I wouldn't trust that site until they post it on Espn later today or tomorrow.

Any rain and we are out of there and watching at home. Bad weather is not good for folks in their 90s like my pop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT