ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

B. Aaronson involved in both Leeds goals today as Jesse Marsch's team opens the new Prem season with a win. Aaronson thought he had scored in a scramble in front of the net. The ball bounces off his knee, apparently hits a defender & in for a dubious own goal. Anyway, a great start for this kid in his new EPL career. Tyler Adams also got some praise for his play from Marsch.

Pulisic comes off the bench for 25 minutes & looks lively in a 1-0 win for Chelsea. Herr Tuchel will finally figure out one day (maybe) that CP needs to start because Chelsea needs goals.

Fulham ties Liverpool 2-2 as A. Robinson & our 35 yr. old center back(T. Ream) both start. Finally, Chris Richards, IMO, just has too much talent not to eventually thrive in the Prem. Any minutes he gets under Patrick Viera will only help him come November, although none today.

Jordan Pefok scores Union Berlin's 1st in a 3-1 win over Hertha Berlin in his Bundesliga debut.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I have to wonder if the acquisition of Sterling will increase the pressure to sell Pulisic. I think they both have very similar games and while Pulisic is younger he hasn’t shown himself to be very sturdy.

I have to wonder if the acquisition of Sterling will increase the pressure to sell Pulisic. I think they both have very similar games and while Pulisic is younger he hasn’t shown himself to be very sturdy.
There was plenty of talk about that very thing a couple of months ago when reports of CP's "unhappiness with PT" were prominent. Lately, Pulisic has stated publicly that he wants to stay at Chelsea and fight for his place on the team. CP has played forward(even wingback) on the left-Sterling's best position-as well as a false nine and on the right. This versatility is surely in his favor and I can see both him and Sterling on the field at the same time, which would be a formidable duo vs opponents. We can only hope that Tuchel sees the same thing.

CP needs starts, somewhere for Chelsea, now that his injury issues seem behind him. There was one play yesterday that had to ring Tuchel's bell: CP is going forward with the ball about 30 yards out, he is knocked down by a defender(no whistle) & loses the ball which is passed back to their goalie. CP pops back up, starts harrassing the goalie & wins the ball. He dribbles around a couple of defenders looking for a shot....and then the whistle blows for the foul. CP was not happy!

CP needs starts, somewhere for Chelsea, now that his injury issues seem behind him. There was one play yesterday that had to ring Tuchel's bell: CP is going forward with the ball about 30 yards out, he is knocked down by a defender(no whistle) & loses the ball which is passed back to their goalie. CP pops back up, starts harrassing the goalie & wins the ball. He dribbles around a couple of defenders looking for a shot....and then the whistle blows for the foul. CP was not happy!
Issue is these are his prime years. The next 5 years or so. It would be a shame if he spent them as a sub.

so apparently they have proposed to FIFA to move one game (Qatar vs Ecuador) to Sunday so that the prince can have his fireworks.
Also there will be no early game. So there won’t be a 1 pm game (5 am central)

game times for tournament are

1 pm (4 am central)
4 pm (7 am central)
7 pm (10 am central)
10 pm (1 pm central)

that is some early mornings

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cu...ar-vs-ecuador-moved-forward-to-nov-20-sources

so apparently they have proposed to FIFA to move one game (Qatar vs Ecuador) to Sunday so that the prince can have his fireworks.

1 pm (4 am central)
4 pm (7 am central)
7 pm (10 am central)
10 pm (1 pm central)

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cu...ar-vs-ecuador-moved-forward-to-nov-20-sources
It was worse when the WC was cohosted by South Korea and Japan. Game times were something like 11pm, 2am, and 5am central each day. At least in Qatar, only the 4am match is outside of most people's normal waking hours.

Reactions: loca2874
It was worse when the WC was cohosted by South Korea and Japan. Game times were something like 11pm, 2am, and 5am central each day. At least in Qatar, only the 4am match is outside of most people's normal waking hours.
That is true. With me on the east coast I will be recording game 1. I am not getting up that early for Morocco vs Croatia or Senegal vs Ecuador. I want to watch them just not that bad. Hello DVR!!

Reactions: TU_BLA and drboobay

1 pm (4 am central)
4 pm (7 am central)
7 pm (10 am central)
10 pm (1 pm central)

You did make an error.

Pick one.

That 2002 broadcast schedule nearly, as close you can get, got me close to getting fired. I was worthless for a month after 1pm. Not just a talking to by the new boss, but her boss too. And changes to employee training to highlight my performance as unacceptable without mentioning my name.

Personally, my level of madness has subsided since then. Not so passionate about seeing every match played.

Reactions: loca2874
Personally, my level of madness has subsided since then. Not so passionate about seeing every match played.
I hadn’t planned to watch hardly any of it except the USA. I woke up to make sure the VCR was running on the Portugal game, couldn’t get back to sleep, watched them win and took the fever.

As for that job, I ended up at a government agency years later supervising one of the people in management at the old job who tried to get me fired. Circle of Life.

Last edited:
I hadn’t planned to watch hardly any of it except the USA. I woke up to make sure the VCR was running on the Portugal game, couldn’t get back to sleep, watched them win and took the fever.

As for that job, I ended up at a government agency years later supervising one of the people in management at the old job who tried to get me fired. Circle of Life.
How did that circle end? Was it the Disney Lion King way, or the real world birth, survival, and finally death...

How did that circle end? Was it the Disney Lion King way, or the real world birth, survival, and finally death...
I assume she learned that life is often the greatest journey to the middle. Those on top suddenly find those below them have risen to meet them or they have fallen to a point those they disdained are now their equals. She’s still there doing the same thing 15 years later for roughly the same pay as far as I know. Retirement is probably coming up.

I assume she learned that life is often the greatest journey to the middle. Those on top suddenly find those below them have risen to meet them or they have fallen to a point those they disdained are now their equals. She’s still there doing the same thing 15 years later for roughly the same pay as far as I know. Retirement is probably coming up.
Sometimes death is very slow...

I guess it's a bit too early to guess Beer?halter's starters in Nov., but here's an update on some guys who will surely be on his list: Aaronson and Adams for Jesse Marsch's Leeds Utd have started in both Leeds' games...a win & a tie. In the tie, Leeds blew a 2-goal lead. Aaronson has had No Issues in his transition to the Premier League. Loved by his teammates, the dude is a perpetual motion machine who is not afraid to shoot it. Tyler Adams, IMO, still has some settling in to do but will get better with each start. We know he is a superb passer. He is playing in a defensive midfield role for Marsch and looks pretty solid. I assume that is where Beer?halter will have him and this experience will be invaluable.

Then there's Antonee Robinson & Tim Ream for Fulham. Both also have 2 starts & finishes in two ties so far. I've poor-mouthed Ream plenty over the years but this dude's career has been rejuvenated with the current coach. He and Jedi started most games in their domination of the English Championship to get promoted to the Prem. Heck, Ream was even named Team Captain for yesterday's game. Excellent experience for this guy, also.

CP & Chelsea vs Tottenham on USA network at 10:30 this morning. Should be a barn-burner but doubtful if CP gets the start. I think Tuchel is just down on him so maybe it is time to move on. By all the transfer rumors, CP may not have a choice where he ends up.

Last edited:
I’m not talking about you, but it’s so funny to see posters and pundits suddenly hyping Ream now that he’s back in EPL.

Reactions: quincy101
I’m not talking about you, but it’s so funny to see posters and pundits suddenly hyping Ream now that he’s back in EPL.
Tim Ream still has those brain freeze moments, and it only takes one mistake in a WC, but if we can't have John Brooks, I'm OK with him for leadership and all his experience...particularly that he gets in the next 3 months

Tim Ream still has those brain freeze moments, and it only takes one mistake in a WC, but if we can't have John Brooks, I'm OK with him for leadership and all his experience...particularly that he gets in the next 3 months
I have a hard time believing Brooks won’t be there. People I know who claim to know hard details say it’s a done deal no way. Berhalter wants to high press but Brooks cant track back to play that style.

The problem with that is that means you are playing a right footed left zone CB which means either you are a two touch player on the switch which the opponents can jump or you can shade him to the boundary where Jedi’s service has been lacking. At the highest level you will pay for that and it really worries me that MLS coaches like Berhalter don’t always admit to themselves. They don’t coach at the highest level and they are used to scheming things that players simply can’t do against elite competition. See generally, Clark, R. Ream gives you some options that none of the other players give you absent brooks.

One player that may have benefitted from a return to MLS is Yedlin. He’s playing and playing well. And he would be the only one on the team with World Cup experience even with old man Ream along for the ride. Cannon might stay home.

Reactions: quincy101
So plenty of transfer rumors are out there. Latest is McKennie to Man U as Ten Hagen looks to completely overhaul that roster. After getting absolutely demolished by Brentford on Saturday he said he wished he could have substituted every player off at the half. Honestly, Pulisic would also be a good fit there as Marcus Rashford seems to have forgotten how to play soccer. Right now, I think the only player at United I would keep is Bruno Fernandes...and maybe Jadon Sancho if you give him some players around him who could provide leadership.

Ream is Fulham's captain and will have the armband whenever he starts a game which is presumably always. I've come to the realization that Ream gets bagged on in context of the USMNT because he's not much of an offensive threat in the run of play b/c he's a defense first guy and usually the guy who is trying to cover up for someone else's mistake leaving him as the guy exposed. Jedi...this kid will be on the move to a bigger club after this season. About the 65th minute or so in their game vs Wolves, Wolves brought on Adama Traore (Spanish national). This guy is the definition of a running tank. This dude's legs rival Earl Campbell's for the largest thighs I've ever seen. His body seems like it is built for rugby. You can't knock him off the ball and he's faster than 90% of the fullbacks out there. And Robinson dealt with him fairly easily...late in the game when he was out there for 60+ minutes and Traore coming on fresh.

Bigger concern for USMNT, where is Sergino Dest? He wasn't part of Barca's squad the other day. Could he be on the move somewhere?

Also, who knows anything of the Vazquez kid at FC Cincinnati as Taylor Twellman and Lalas think he may be the 9 the US is looking for.

So plenty of transfer rumors are out there. Latest is McKennie to Man U as Ten Hagen looks to completely overhaul that roster. After getting absolutely demolished by Brentford on Saturday he said he wished he could have substituted every player off at the half. Honestly, Pulisic would also be a good fit there as Marcus Rashford seems to have forgotten how to play soccer. Right now, I think the only player at United I would keep is Bruno Fernandes...and maybe Jadon Sancho if you give him some players around him who could provide leadership.

Ream is Fulham's captain and will have the armband whenever he starts a game which is presumably always. I've come to the realization that Ream gets bagged on in context of the USMNT because he's not much of an offensive threat in the run of play b/c he's a defense first guy and usually the guy who is trying to cover up for someone else's mistake leaving him as the guy exposed. Jedi...this kid will be on the move to a bigger club after this season. About the 65th minute or so in their game vs Wolves, Wolves brought on Adama Traore (Spanish national). This guy is the definition of a running tank. This dude's legs rival Earl Campbell's for the largest thighs I've ever seen. His body seems like it is built for rugby. You can't knock him off the ball and he's faster than 90% of the fullbacks out there. And Robinson dealt with him fairly easily...late in the game when he was out there for 60+ minutes and Traore coming on fresh.

Bigger concern for USMNT, where is Sergino Dest? He wasn't part of Barca's squad the other day. Could he be on the move somewhere?

Also, who knows anything of the Vazquez kid at FC Cincinnati as Taylor Twellman and Lalas think he may be the 9 the US is looking for.
Dest rumored to Manchester United.

I hope ManU implodes. Every time they suck, it’s somehow more important than any other club sucking and it gets so tiresome.

It's about time CP gets some big-time bucks for "TIL". The $ will help supplement his reduced weekly salary at a lesser club than Chelsea. The experience will be fantastic for Dest, if he goes there, but I shudder at the dumpster fire that is Man Utd as his new home. (& that goes for Wes McKennie, also)

I hope ManU implodes. Every time they suck, it’s somehow more important than any other club sucking and it gets so tiresome.
Preach. My first City kit was a gift I opened in the lobby of Twin South the summer of 1988. They are closing down Twin South, but I've still got the kit.

What will they use it for?
To be honest it needs to be torn down and rebuilt, Vegas style. The engineering primarily with the air flow system in that building has been awful and not effective at all for more than 20 years. It's at the end of the loop for the chill/heat water and by the time the feed gets there the water in the pipes is luke warm in summer and ice cold in winter. Kids that lived on the ends of the wings of that building always complained about being too warm in the summer and too cold in the winter and there was nothing TU's maintenance could do about it short of tearing out the pipes and digging trenches to the plant and having a dedicated loop to it. I don't know if they'll build more student housing on the site to replace it or if they add some admin offices or just leave it and have a small park area for the campus community. Maybe we go full on Texas A&M and build a facility for the sole purpose of pampering the dog.

More to come later. And yes they are addressing boiler/HVAC/sewer and a lot down that corridor of campus.

More to come later. And yes they are addressing boiler/HVAC/sewer and a lot down that corridor of campus.
I know when we had summer camps in that building, it was my bane as people complained about the lack of A/C. And then the humidity would build up in the rooms and the walls would mildew. I know they've tried different things but they were stop gaps not permanent fixes to the problem.

That was back during the dark times, during the Empire. We ran summer camps to attract prospective students, showed them dated amenities and a truncated meal plan, then wondered why they went to OSU.

Everyone is rumored to United right now
Too, true, and the latest is C. Pulisic, which might have some legs. It is reported that Man U. officials have talked to Chelsea for a loan deal. The more I think about it, the more sense it might make for CP. He would surely get more PT than at Chelsea under Tuchel.

Despite being at "disfunction junction", CP could bring some energy to that hapless team, keep himself in shape for Nov, and still have a shot at making the starting line-up back at Chelsea if he does well with the Red Devils. If Chelsea does not make the Ch Lg this season, Tuchel might be MIA as coach, anyway.

And, he would be reunited with an old pal from Dortmund.....Jadon Sancho. (although Sancho was the guy who came along & bounced CP to the bench...under Tuchel, of course.

At this point, CP is a luxury player. He’s a super sub that gets hurt a lot and has off field baggage with his Dad. But he can change games against certain opponents so his price tag is massive. But so is his ego. He won’t take a loan deal and he’s too expensive and too hurt too often for major clubs to sign him long term right now. And only major clubs can afford him.

Manchester United might be the one exception to that. He will make his value back in stateside jersey sales alone and his personal income here in the USA could zoom with that club that he isn’t getting with Chelsea. Tim Howard talking about his bank account drying up overnight when he moved to Everton is hysterical if you can find it on the web.

I've heard Chelsea won't deal with ManU b/c they consider them a rival. He's more likely to end up at Newcastle United who have the money and are working to bring in more star power. I expect Newcastle to challenge for Euro football, either Champions League or Europa League within 2 years. Now, Dest is also rumored to ManU and I would expect that if the interest is mutual, that will happen sooner than later. Barca has to get some $$$ of their books. They were forced by La Liga to sell some assets and sell some shares of the business to raise capital in order to complete the league registrations for several of their summer transfer window, most notably Robert Lewandoski. Barca's books were in such disarray and in the red, those key transfers were only registered with La Liga about 2 days before they opened up last weekend.

Whether its true or not true, racist or an honest assessment, I dont know. But you've got coaches in the Spanish press openly saying they dont want him and dont understand why he is at Barca because he lacks the mental recognition in his game. Other players see things and react quicker. The physical reflexes are there but he continues to struggle with the mental aspect. Those aren't my words, that's just what's out there. I dont see him signing laterally. Its probably down and in another country.

I've heard Chelsea won't deal with ManU b/c they consider them a rival. He's more likely to end up at Newcastle United who have the money and are working to bring in more star power. I expect Newcastle to challenge for Euro football, either Champions League or Europa League within 2 years. Now, Dest is also rumored to ManU and I would expect that if the interest is mutual, that will happen sooner than later. Barca has to get some $$$ of their books. They were forced by La Liga to sell some assets and sell some shares of the business to raise capital in order to complete the league registrations for several of their summer transfer window, most notably Robert Lewandoski. Barca's books were in such disarray and in the red, those key transfers were only registered with La Liga about 2 days before they opened up last weekend.
Him being paid not to play for other clubs is definitely a corner he might be in right now. i forget the player, but years ago, the Dolphins bought a minor league baseball club for the sole purpose of drafting some college football player, so that he would not be available to be signed by any of their division rivals and wouldn't take up a high draft choice and signing bonus. It was cheaper to buy the club and pay him to play minor league baseball as a way of paying him not to play football against them. Later, he signed with the Dolphins and made the roster but didn't play much. Backup QB I think.

ADVERTISEMENT