ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

In other news former FC Tulsa coach and TSC Administrator Michael Nsien has been named U16 USMNT head coach. Decent chance we could see our first Tulsa kid make a US national team next year.
Yeah...I don't know how that happened. I've heard some nightmarish stories about him, one from a former assistant FC Tulsa coach. Basically, Coach Nsien didn't always play the best players while at Tulsa. My understanding is he also wasn't the best tactical manager nor did he quite understand how to counter tactics employed against his teams. This info came from a UK based coach who has been technical director at FC Tulsa (when they were the Roughnecks still) and is still working with some of the clubs around town as a technical director.

He did have great things to say about Coach Ricketts though. Believes he wasn't given a proper chance with FC Tulsa to become the main guy. BTW, this coach came in and helped Coach Ricketts when my son played for him and the stuff he had the boys work on from a technical standpoint was so advanced in comparison to what I've seen youth coaches at TSC teach, it was sort of mind blowing. Lawpoke, this guy made John Michael's coaching look basic.

Anyway...take this info with a grain of salt.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Yeah...I don't know how that happened. I've heard some nightmarish stories about him, one from a former assistant FC Tulsa coach. Basically, Coach Nsien didn't always play the best players while at Tulsa. My understanding is he also wasn't the best tactical manager nor did he quite understand how to counter tactics employed against his teams. This info came from a UK based coach who has been technical director at FC Tulsa (when they were the Roughnecks still) and is still working with some of the clubs around town as a technical director.

He did have great things to say about Coach Ricketts though. Believes he wasn't given a proper chance with FC Tulsa to become the main guy. BTW, this coach came in and helped Coach Ricketts when my son played for him and the stuff he had the boys work on from a technical standpoint was so advanced in comparison to what I've seen youth coaches at TSC teach, it was sort of mind blowing. Lawpoke, this guy made John Michael's coaching look basic.

Anyway...take this info with a grain of salt.
I take everything from soccer coaches with a grain of salt. Having Nsien associated with the national team is a good thing for Tulsa soccer and will hopefully open some doors to area players which haven’t been there prior. Did Ricketts stay with FC Tulsa or did he move on when the new coach was named ?

I take everything from soccer coaches with a grain of salt. Having Nsien associated with the national team is a good thing for Tulsa soccer and will hopefully open some doors to area players which haven’t been there prior. Did Ricketts stay with FC Tulsa or did he move on when the new coach was named ?
He stayed.

Reactions: lawpoke87
OK. So who y'all got in this world cup tourney thing? Gimme your picks ... My head says Brazil. My heart says England.

OK. So who y'all got in this world cup tourney thing? Gimme your picks ... My head says Brazil. My heart says England.
There is actually a WC thread I started for this type of thing. And I gave reasons why I don't think Brazil or England will go very far. Spain is too young IMO. France is probably the most talented and most seasoned team. I think they can win it all. Argentina might be there as well for those reasons. I really like Portugal. They are loaded with talent at every level. They have 6-7 defenders who are starter quality. They have 3-4 forwards who could start and they have a MF that is tremendous. The biggest question is GK but I think with Rui Patricio and Jose Sa they have enough to carry them deep.

BTW, are there any older MNT fans, or poor working stiffs who plan to suddenly come down with an affliction around noon, 12:30 on Monday-a bowl of chili that tasted funny would be perfect-who are planning a sports bar thing with big a$$ screens? Don't know which bar that would be..McNellies? Anyway, the USofA needs public support vs Wales and I'm in if others are going public (instead of their living rooms) and know of a good bar.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I’m going to be in the Raleigh/Durham airport for the game. I’m hoping they have some kind of pub there with a TV but I’ll probably have to watch on my iPad.

BTW, are there any older MNT fans, or poor working stiffs who plan to suddenly come down with an affliction around noon, 12:30 on Monday-a bowl of chili that tasted funny would be perfect-who are planning a sports bar thing with big a$$ screens? Don't know which bar that would be..McNellies? Anyway, the USofA needs public support vs Wales and I'm in if others are going public (instead of their living rooms) and know of a good bar.

I have the itis. Not sure where I will go. Elgin Park will likely be a mess. I don’t like Empire. Maybe one of the Brooks? Or Smoke?

McNellie’s has one big tv in the upstairs. No thanks.

The White Lion or George's will probably be good places to hang out and watch with good soccer atmospheres if that's your bag.

per Beer?halter: " What I do believe is that on our best day we can beat anyone. Anyone." Well, your boys better have a good day today. We need 3 points, not 1.

For me, it's always about who he runs out to start & what "system" he starts with. The starting 11 includes Long and Ferreira. So predictable. These 2 means, to me, we're going to have to score 2, maybe 3 to get a result. The rest of the starters include: Turner, A. Robinson, Zimmerman, Dest, Adams, Musah, McKinnie, Pulisic and Reyna.

Meanwhile, in the 65th minute, after the Iranian goalie gets hurt very early & gets subbed out, it's England 4 & Iran 1.

per Beer?halter: " What I do believe is that on our best day we can beat anyone. Anyone." Well, your boys better have a good day today. We need 3 points, not 1.

For me, it's always about who he runs out to start & what "system" he starts with. The starting 11 includes Long and Ferreira. So predictable. These 2 means, to me, we're going to have to score 2, maybe 3 to get a result. The rest of the starters include: Turner, A. Robinson, Zimmerman, Dest, Adams, Musah, McKinnie, Pulisic and Reyna.

Meanwhile, in the 65th minute, after the Iranian goalie gets hurt very early & gets subbed out, it's England 4 & Iran 1.
Ferreira and Long were predictable, yet so incredibly narrow minded and stupid from Berhalter. And if his thinking is he wants to save Ream and Sargent (or another 9) for England, it's even more stupid. Win the game in front of you instead of worrying about a game that's 5 days away. On top of that, if we lose to Wales by a goal b/c Long can't hang with Bale, Berhalter should be fired immediately following the game and Cindy Parlow should beg Tab Ramos to come be the coach. Most of these players know Ramos' style and what he wants because they all spent time in the US YNT program with him and his staff

The +5 goal differential for England will make it near impossible for the US or Wales to win the group short of the one of them winning all 3 group matches. England couple pretty much park the bus in the next two games and earn draws and probably win the group. I would think the US would need to win by 2-3 goals today to put a dent into it but the US will struggle to score with Ferreira up top. The goals likely will need to come from the outside players

Never...have I been so happy to be so wrong. Long & Ferreira are out. Ream & Sargent are in. Beer?halter has kept me all shook up for years now as less than a serious man. Well, that sly old dog pulled it over on me at the very last moment. These starters are our very best. If this group fails, I'm OK with it because we gave it our best shot, with our best players. And if a lineup of these boys win a couple, watch out in the knockout round. USA...USA!

They made a good showing against the Saudi's.
Argentina dominated that game except for a minute stretch early in the 2nd half. And then the referees and VAR got in Argentina's head with all the offside calls. They spent more time bitching at the refs than trying to figure out a way to score. On top of that I was seriously thinking the ref was trying to help Argentina score. The amount of extra time, awarding free kicks every time an Argentine player got touched. There was one right before the final whistle where Messi went down in a heap after a Saudi player barely touched his arm. FIFA seriously needs to get serious with yellow carding the dives and embellishments. If you go to VAR to review a possible penalty and you determine it was a dive, yellow card the attacker.

Argentina dominated that game except for a minute stretch early in the 2nd half. And then the referees and VAR got in Argentina's head with all the offside calls. They spent more time bitching at the refs than trying to figure out a way to score. On top of that I was seriously thinking the ref was trying to help Argentina score. The amount of extra time, awarding free kicks every time an Argentine player got touched. There was one right before the final whistle where Messi went down in a heap after a Saudi player barely touched his arm. FIFA seriously needs to get serious with yellow carding the dives and embellishments. If you go to VAR to review a possible penalty and you determine it was a dive, yellow card the attacker.
100% agree.

So the stuff coming out about Reyna is concerning...and yet I have no idea who to believe because it wouldn't surprise me if Berhalter made sh$t up to fit his own narrative of not playing a player he didn't personally like.
Also, Daryl Dike is back from injury for West Brom and scored on a hell of a header on Monday to win the game for them vs Sunderland. West Brom is currently 17th in the Championship and will need to win most of their games from here on out to get into the promotion playoff (spot 3-6). Currently they are 8 pts off the pace for that.

So the stuff coming out about Reyna is concerning...and yet I have no idea who to believe because it wouldn't surprise me if Berhalter made sh$t up to fit his own narrative of not playing a player he didn't personally like.
Also, Daryl Dike is back from injury for West Brom and scored on a hell of a header on Monday to win the game for them vs Sunderland. West Brom is currently 17th in the Championship and will need to win most of their games from here on out to get into the promotion playoff (spot 3-6). Currently they are 8 pts off the pace for that.
Man, Dike would’ve assblasted that 6-8 Dutch noodle on a perfect hospital ball.

Oh my, just one more reason to dump Beer?halter in a couple weeks. Wouldn't surprise me if he's rehired by those gutless wonders at the USSF. If not, my guess is it will be someone coaching in MLS or a retread from previous MNT coach duty. At least it shouldn't take 13 months to get someone hired as it did 4 yrs. ago.

As to Reyna, Beer?halter has tossed him under the bus. Rather like Pefok, Brooks, Miazga, etc. In NYC about 3 days ago, Beer?halter is (unbelievably) invited to address a crowd at a "moral leadership council" seminar. As an example of his "moral leadership", he chooses to talk about Reyna's situation and how his staff spent "hours" debating whether to send him home before the WC started. I guess Beer?halter didn't figure that someone in the crowd ( or maybe him) would leak the story to the press and put only his side of the story out. Surely any problem, real or imagined, should have been handled internally within the team.

BTW, Reyna has stated publicly & Beer?halter has not denied, that days before the WC the coach told Reyna that his role would be "very limited" in the WC. Huh?? You don't say this to one your best players going in to a WC. And one final thing: Gio is back in Germany and Dortmund plays a friendly vs an Eastern Euro team to stay sharp. Guess who starts and scores the game winner in a 2-1 win?

So, after hearing this, Gio maybe dogs it practice and during a friendly with an arab "B" team. What did Beer?halter expect? And one more thing. I've watched a lot of Dortmund and Reyna lately and it just seems to me that his style of play appears to be dogging it.......until he isn't. And he hasn't been fully fit for 90 minutes for a long time. Dortmund mgt. plus teammates have put out strong public support for Gio after this brou-ha-ha. They love him there and he starts when healthy. His friendship with a guy named E. Halland is like a big brother/little brother relationship. So, lovers of Beer?halter may still hope for a rehire. I, for one, hope he just disappears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Oh my, just one more reason to dump Beer?halter in a couple weeks. Wouldn't surprise me if he's rehired by those gutless wonders at the USSF. If not, my guess is it will be someone coaching in MLS or a retread from previous MNT coach duty. At least it shouldn't take 13 months to get someone hired as it did 4 yrs. ago.

As to Reyna, Beer?halter has tossed him under the bus. Rather like Pefok, Brooks, Miazga, etc. In NYC about 3 days ago, Beer?halter is (unbelievably) invited to address a crowd at a "moral leadership council" seminar. As an example of his "moral leadership", he chooses to talk about Reyna's situation and how his staff spent "hours" debating whether to send him home before the WC started. I guess Beer?halter didn't figure that someone in the crowd ( or maybe him) would leak the story to the press and put only his side of the story out. Surely any problem, real or imagined, should have been handled internally within the team.

BTW, Reyna has stated publicly & Beer?halter has not denied, that days before the WC the coach told Reyna that his role would be "very limited" in the WC. Huh?? You don't say this to one your best players going in to a WC. And one final thing: Gio is back in Germany and Dortmund plays a friendly vs an Easter Euro team to stay sharp. Guess who starts and scores the game winner in a 2-1 win?

So, after hearing this, Gio maybe dogs it practice and during a friendly with an arab "B" team. What did Beer?halter expect? And one more thing. I've watched a lot of Dortmund and Reyna lately and it just seems to me that his style of play appears to be dogging it.......until he isn't. And he hasn't been fully fit for 90 minutes for a long time. Dortmund mgt. plus teammates have put out strong public support for Gio after this brou-ha-ha. They love him there and he starts when healthy. His friendship with a guy named E. Halland is like a big brother/little brother relationship. So, lovers of Beer?halter may still hope for a rehire. I, for one, hope he just disappears.
Messi does plenty of "resting" during each match. Not saying he is Messi. Just observing.

We can start a new thread if we want...but Pulisic was just injured 15 minutes into Chelsea's match with Man City. CHE had a nice break and connected a few passes in the attacking zone, CP made a brilliant run into the box and Mason Mount fed him a thru ball. CP was going to 1-time it with his right and John Stones came over and met the ball at the same time CPs foot did and CP didn't win the battle. Had to be subbed off. Don't know the seriousness.

That sucks because CP had just started the last 3 EPL matches for CHE and the new manager seemed intent on running CP-Havertz-Sterling out across the front with Mount at the 10 and they were creating a ton of good chances with that lineup.

We can start a new thread if we want...but Pulisic was just injured 15 minutes into Chelsea's match with Man City. CHE had a nice break and connected a few passes in the attacking zone, CP made a brilliant run into the box and Mason Mount fed him a thru ball. CP was going to 1-time it with his right and John Stones came over and met the ball at the same time CPs foot did and CP didn't win the battle. Had to be subbed off. Don't know the seriousness.

That sucks because CP had just started the last 3 EPL matches for CHE and the new manager seemed intent on running CP-Havertz-Sterling out across the front with Mount at the 10 and they were creating a ton of good chances with that lineup.
Hopefully not serious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT