ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT U23

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Their qualifying cycle for the Olympics begins soon. These will be players that the US will need to be able to rely on at least 3-4 in the next WC Q cycle as well. I a, only going to list the guys I think are legit for that process

GK- Jonathan Klinsmann
D- Cameron Carter-Vickers
MF- Djordje Mihailovic
F- Jeremy Ebobisse, Tim Weah, Josh Sargent

Carter-Vickers, Weah, and Sargent already have senior team Caps right? Mihailovic may as well in one of the last couple sets of friendlies. I’ve been impressed with Klinsmann’s ability as a GK. We’ll see

Reactions: quincy101
I guess Tab Ramos gets to keep Alex Mendez for the U-20 WC. This kid could easily help at center-mid for the U-23's & here's why: young player of the year by US Soccer for 2018: led U-20s to CONCACAF tourney win & WC qualifying; can hold the ball; passes are accurate; & he can SCORE...won Gold Ball in above tourney. He's only 19 but who cares-the U-23 experience would be invaluable for who,IMO, will be the future @ the 6 for the Sr. team(assuming the morons at the top realize his potential & don't penalize him for leaving LA Galaxy 11 & signing w/ Freiburg). Speaking of which, Jason Kreis speaking of Berhalter & Earnie Stewart: "I'm a big fan of both of them". Uh oh!

BTW, Berhalter is going to "experiment" with Tyler Adams at right back-look for it in the upcoming friendlies. I, for one, don't get it-but maybe Berhalter's a genius.

Last edited:
Well, Berghalter era basically begins tonite vs Ecuador. If we get a draw, I'll be happy. If it's a win, I'll be very happy, if it's a loss, I won't be surprised. Same goes for Chile next week. If it's 2 wins, I'll take back every nasty thing I've ever said about E. Stewart & his boy, Craig Berhalter.

Is that Fabian Johnson? Why? And no more Altidore. There’s a 25% probability he gets injured 10 minutes in. I like Wood there a lot better and he and Pulisic have shown good chemistry in the past. Miazga-OK. I still think it’s Ream and Villafana at the other back.

Thank goodness the WC isn't today, because the result would prolly be the same, e.g. failure. With this guy cleverly listing guys like Altidore(I worry about his 'tude),Omar G., Ream, Villafana, Acosta, Bradley, Guzan, Arriola who have been there, failed that, he doesn't show much imagination. He lists Weah as a starter for example, OK, & he has 2 years to improve before quals start. So why not other young ones who also have 2 yrs to improve such as young Mr. Mendez noted above. For Altidore fans, I'll bet he's in camp for the Gold Cup as well as 4 or 5 others listed above.

1-0 win. Pretty pedestrian game. Ecuador didn’t look like they wanted to be there. The goal was somewhat a fluke, but Zardes blistered a shot that got deflect d high and the keeper got caught flat footed off his line and couldn’t recover.

Overall, the US looked pretty good. Ecuador didn’t play a high press like the US normally sees, nor was Ecuador particularly aggressive so the US had lots of space to possess the ball. Pulisic looked like Pulisic. Arriola looked good. Trap looked poised. Weston McKinnie looked really good although he took a knock and has an ankle sprain. Back line looked OK. Ream, Brooks, and Aaron Long looked really solid. Beerhalter made the curious move of putting Tyler Adams at right back. Adams looked OK but there were too many instances of him getting lost on the field and forgetting what position he was playing exposing Aaron Long. Long did well a few times sliding out and covering for Adams.

Last edited:
Did anyone look up to speed for Intl competition? Not to me. Trapp had some good moments. Zardes shot was headed for 12 rows up in the stands & got deflected by a defender. Very lucky to score(but I'll take em anyway we can get em). Ream just can't hack it, IMO. His gaff late almost cost us a tie. Zardes whiffed on a point blank cross in front of the net(he was offsides anyway). "Arrival"(sorry Bla) missed point blank very early. CP's technique will improve because he works on it constantly. Happy with the win, but we were lucky it wasn't a tie. Stand by for a tougher test from Chile.

March friendlies reveal about as much the fourth quarter of a spring game in college football.

This is about selling tickets and getting the young guys comfortable in the camp culture and process. Nobody thinks Omar will be on the sheet in 2022 or even the Gold Cup, but he does help move the ticket needle a little and I’m told is evolving into a solid locker room guy like Heduk was four years past his last acceptable year.

The Adams thing is weird. Seems like a reach for him just to get us even more width. Or a cue to Yedlin or others not to take their space for granted.

I like McKinnie for the 23s. He’s got a great future if he stays healthy, but needs to mature.

I like McKinnie too. But that turned ankle looked nasty. He's gonna be on the shelf for a long while, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT