ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT U20s

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Playing well so far. Up 1-0 on Qatar which should get them through to knockout stage. Qatari GK just made an absolutely brilliant save on a PK which was struck and placed well and then stopped a 1 v 1 a few moments later.

I'm thinking we need to be paying more attention to this group of kids. There are some really special players

Alex Gomez took that PK which got saved. Kid has a rocket for a left foot but just couldn't keep 3 or 4 great chances down. Sebastian Soto scored twice vs Nigeria & would have had a hat trick but for a teammate offsides. I really like Tab Ramos' style of play-long passes out of the back to start the attack.(Beer?halter's plodding style with our backline passing it around in our half is quite a contrast). Tim Weah got the game winner(for those looking for him w/ the Sr's-he started all 3 group stage games with the U-20s in their WC). Unfortunately, young Gomez won't play in the 1st knock-out round due to yellow cards.

Tab Ramos' style is the style most American coaches teach from U8 on up and tries to utilize the biggest, fastest kid up top to hold the ball and then help create chances. It works at the younger ages because there is a greater disparity in talent levels all over the place. Beerhalter's style is a more international style of possessing and building from the back. This style is more effective at the international level but also requires superior skill through the MF as well as patience, connection, vision and creativity. It also puts more stress on the back line to be as technically sound as they are tactically and positionally so as to not allow themselves to get pressed. Klinsmann tried this but utilizing the weird diamond shape in the middle which created huge gaps between the MFs and outside defenders. Mexico is the perfect example of the style that gives us so much trouble because we don't have a center back like a Virgil who possesses those qualities. Our central defenders a typically big bruisers who struggle more than they should against the high press. US goals against Mexico are usually good, quick counter attacks or as a result of a dumbass play out of the Mexican backfield (see Bradley's goal from 50 yards last WC cycle).

I like what Ramos has done with our younger squads. They play with speed and a ton of creativity but they do look to get the ball upfield quickly. It's harder to do that at the senior level against elite teams. We'll see how the Gold Cup goes this summer. I am really looking forward to seeing what the full squad looks like and how Pulisic makes this his team. In order for this team to move forward, this needs to be Pulisic's team and Bradley needs to understand that.

Just upset France 3-2. Scored first, gave up an equalizer, France took the lead, US fought back and score around the 70' to knot it up, scored the go ahead at around 80' and held on. The French have some freaking amazing youth squad players BTW. They'll be reloaded for the next few WC cycles.

This US team has an incredible resilience to it. Weah, Servania both played well. US also played w/o 2 starters due to yellow card accumulation in the group stage. On to Ecuador in the quarterfinals

Sebastian Soto is again within a whisker of a hat-trick as the frog goalie snatches it from him at the last split second in front of the net. Don't know who else is scoring in bunches in this WC, but Soto is making a strong bid for the Golden Boot with 4 & counting. Watch for Alex Gomez to get off the schneid in their next match.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Just upset France 3-2. Scored first, gave up an equalizer, France took the lead, US fought back and score around the 70' to knot it up, scored the go ahead at around 80' and held on. The French have some freaking amazing youth squad players BTW. They'll be reloaded for the next few WC cycles.

This US team has an incredible resilience to it. Weah, Servania both played well. US also played w/o 2 starters due to yellow card accumulation in the group stage. On to Ecuador in the quarterfinals
Great win. Loved every second. Both teams are very talented. It’s impossible to forecast future success from U20 wins or even U20 talent display. Most senior teams see 4 maybe 5 players from their U20 at the senior level whether it’s USA’s disorganized approach or Germany’s or Spain’s painstaking investment. Brazil doesn’t even compete at this level, or at least they didn’t last time I cared.

A great example of this is Sal Zizzo who was being hailed as better than Donovan during his U18 and U20 days. If he played with Pulisic and you didn’t know about Pulisic’s club success, you’d argue who was better. Sal got his fair share of looks from Europe’s top clubs then settled into a journeyman MLS role. That’s why I’m in wait and see mode on Sargent and Weah. McKinnie has the goods if he takes care of them.

Put another way, Ryan Leaf was an elite QB at age 20. So was RGIII. Injuries. Differences in coaching styles between U20 and senior, chicks, money, drugs, parents, so many things between these guys as a core spine in U20 team and the senior team.

And it’s been that way for the USA for about two decades now. The exception was the 1999 Olympic qualifying team which was our golden generation. That team was absurd with probably 10 guys who went on to major international success.

Happy with the win. Really really happy that Tab has silenced his critics at least temporarily.

Exit: if they win it all, does Juergen show up and claim credit for reorganizing USA youth programs?

Glad the U20s are looking good because what the USMNT put on the field tonight was horrific. Seems to be a pattern that our younger teams outperform the national team. Any explanation as to why? Playing too many MLS guys?

Glad the U20s are looking good because what the USMNT put on the field tonight was horrific. Seems to be a pattern that our younger teams outperform the national team. Any explanation as to why? Playing too many MLS guys?
I was at the game. Josh Sargent played, one of the recent big hopes. Unremarkable. But that’s to be expected in a warm up friendly. Have a kick about, don’t get hurt, do enough in 1v1s to prove you belong on the Gold Cup roster, be a good guy in the locker room. Those are the goals. Nobody was trying to win the game. Heck the team arrived in town 3 hours before the game. Heckuva screamer from the Jamaica player tho.

We aren’t playing too many MLS guys, but the guys playing MLS simply don’t have the raw talent of Donovan, Tricky Beas, or the other golden generation guys that played MLS.

Great win. Loved every second. Both teams are very talented. It’s impossible to forecast future success from U20 wins or even U20 talent display. Most senior teams see 4 maybe 5 players from their U20 at the senior level whether it’s USA’s disorganized approach or Germany’s or Spain’s painstaking investment. Brazil doesn’t even compete at this level, or at least they didn’t last time I cared.

A great example of this is Sal Zizzo who was being hailed as better than Donovan during his U18 and U20 days. If he played with Pulisic and you didn’t know about Pulisic’s club success, you’d argue who was better. Sal got his fair share of looks from Europe’s top clubs then settled into a journeyman MLS role. That’s why I’m in wait and see mode on Sargent and Weah. McKinnie has the goods if he takes care of them.

Put another way, Ryan Leaf was an elite QB at age 20. So was RGIII. Injuries. Differences in coaching styles between U20 and senior, chicks, money, drugs, parents, so many things between these guys as a core spine in U20 team and the senior team.

And it’s been that way for the USA for about two decades now. The exception was the 1999 Olympic qualifying team which was our golden generation. That team was absurd with probably 10 guys who went on to major international success.

Happy with the win. Really really happy that Tab has silenced his critics at least temporarily.

Exit: if they win it all, does Juergen show up and claim credit for reorganizing USA youth programs?
All fair points. Brandon Servania, who has been playing a major role on this team, played in Tulsa last year for the Roughnecks on loan ( from FC Dallas I think). The 99s may have been the US' golden generation but we are now getting into the generation of kids who started playing when youth soccer absolutely exploded in the US because of the 99s, because of Landon Donovan, Damarcus Beasley, Clint Dempsey. It's only going to get better. I like the way this USMNT plays. There is some really good skill from the MFs and Fs. We are still suspect in the center back area. France's U20s had a TON of speed on the edges and through the middle attackers and our defenders simply couldn't keep up with them, especially Diaby. He was killing Gloster. Ran by him w/ the ball like he was standing still. BUT this US team is extremely creative up front. Quick counters are what led to the US scores.
It wasn't too many MLS guys. It was too many guys who've never played in a CAP before. I think once you get Pulisic, Weah, Sargent, McKinnie on the field together, you will see some lights out stuff for the US. I am concerned about Trapp. His pace of play and decision making just doesn't seem to be at the level it needs to be at this level of competition. Say what you want about Bradley, but he could play at this level, he's a passing machine, and he has excellent vision.

This is a sick kitty & I'm not sure the medicine of Pulisic, Adams & McKennie can cure it. Sure, they'll make it out of the Group(playing the likes of Guyana, T&T & Panama-all at home). Will they make the Final? win it all? Oh man, my guess is not.

Omar & Ream at the back spells TROUBLE! I like Zimmerman, Miazga can develop & T. Adams-out of position but I like his speed. Beer?halter keeps sticking with the 3 "l"s-Lima, Lovitz & Long at the back-why??

I like Roldan, Pulisic & Mckinnie but Trapp? Bradley & Holmes(who the hell is he?) When's the last time that Arriola or Altidore scored for the RW&B when it really counted? Carrot Top gets dumped for the likes of Zardes(Beer?halters boy till the bitter end),J. Lewis & Boyd. If we don't make the final, E. Stewart & his hand-picked guy-G. Beer?halter ought to be strung up by their gone-ads

Reactions: HuffyCane
It’s starting to feel like the discussion isn’t worth the effort if the best players aren’t going to play. At this point, I’d settle for 1998 style “not all the best players but the players who play best together”. We ain’t seeing either. It’s frustrating.

The exclusion of Sargent is my only complaint. If there was any indication that he wouldn't make this roster, then he should have been with the U-20s gaining valuable experience. Let's win this thing and squash the sad sack USMNT pessimism that's run rampant these past 3 years.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The exclusion of Sargent is my only complaint. If there was any indication that he wouldn't make this roster, then he should have been with the U-20s gaining valuable experience. Let's win this thing and squash the sad sack USMNT pessimism that's run rampant these past 3 years.
At this point I'd take Sargent over Morris who isn't even playing that much for Seattle these days. The injuries have sidetracked him and he just doesn't seem fit enough to play the minutes or the pace he will be needed to play at. Where's Bobby Wood? He and Pulisic have some great chemistry together. And Zardes has a ton of talent and a ton of potential...he gets to some balls that no player should be expected to get to or win...and he can score some absolutely absurd goals. He's one of the few guys (Arriola is the other) that can put a ton of pressure on the back because of their speed. You can play a high press with those 2.

Reactions: TU4ever2
At this point I'd take Sargent over Morris who isn't even playing that much for Seattle these days. The injuries have sidetracked him and he just doesn't seem fit enough to play the minutes or the pace he will be needed to play at. Where's Bobby Wood? He and Pulisic have some great chemistry together. And Zardes has a ton of talent and a ton of potential...he gets to some balls that no player should be expected to get to or win...and he can score some absolutely absurd goals. He's one of the few guys (Arriola is the other) that can put a ton of pressure on the back because of their speed. You can play a high press with those 2.
We may see those guys later. They can make six roster changes before the knockout. Wood might be absent because his club won’t release him. They don’t have to for the Gold Cup if my memory is right.

The point about Sargent is spot on. I’m not a fan yet but you are right, he should be playing either senior ball or U20 but he should be playing.

Well, the U-20's got their butts whipped. Hell, that Ecuador team could have beat our Sr's(see Jamaica 2 days ago). I'm betting Ecuador will reach the final & might win it all. Crap, now I'll have to watch the Women's WC-perhaps, maybe. (Just wonder how their attitude will be since certain of them seem more concerned about $ than playing for their country).

Last edited:
Women everywhere get unequal (I won’t say unfair) treatment in sports. Today they said that FIFA had increased the winners payout on the Women’s WC to 4 million. The men get 48 million. With the games I’ve been able to watch so far (France/South Korea, Spain/South Africa, Norway/Nigeria and England/Scotland) the women have played a more entertaining, attacking style of soccer compared to the men. However if you look at the long shots of the stands they are mostly empty. Should the women get as much as the men? Should TU get as much as Alabama? Maybe, I don’t know.

Speaking of the men I watched the USMNT vs Venezuela today and that was pathetic. If the coach can’t put together a better team than that fire him now. That squad was an embarrassment. If that’s our gold cup team we’ll be lucky to win a game and Mexico might score a dozen.

Women everywhere get unequal (I won’t say unfair) treatment in sports. Today they said that FIFA had increased the winners payout on the Women’s WC to 4 million. The men get 48 million. With the games I’ve been able to watch so far (France/South Korea, Spain/South Africa, Norway/Nigeria and England/Scotland) the women have played a more entertaining, attacking style of soccer compared to the men. However if you look at the long shots of the stands they are mostly empty. Should the women get as much as the men? Should TU get as much as Alabama? Maybe, I don’t know.

Speaking of the men I watched the USMNT vs Venezuela today and that was pathetic. If the coach can’t put together a better team than that fire him now. That squad was an embarrassment. If that’s our gold cup team we’ll be lucky to win a game and Mexico might score a dozen.
The Gold Cup could get really really ugly. I like our coach and his commitment to the way he wants to play, but there’s some disconnect with the players I can’t put my finger on. In some cases it is simply talent and, sad to say, conditioning deficits. Jordan Morris is not an international player. Period. Full stop. The only thing useful about him being in the pool is that it fuels proof of the rumors, which may be true, that he was promised a certain number of caps for staying home and playing for Seattle.

People seem to be insistent that we have an American coach but other national teams seem to have no problem with a coach from another country. I would like to see us get a coach that knows talent and how to put a team and game plan together no matter his nationality.

Reactions: quincy101
People seem to be insistent that we have an American coach but other national teams seem to have no problem with a coach from another country. I would like to see us get a coach that knows talent and how to put a team and game plan together no matter his nationality.
Arguably the best American coach, Bora, was not American and barely spoke English. That isn’t lost on people. But the two most recent foreign coaches, Jurgen and Pia, were both disruptive and fell short of expectations. That also isn’t lost on people.

Last edited:
Arguably the best American coach, Bora, was not American and barely spoke English. That isn’t lost on people. But the two most recent foreign coaches, Jurgen and Pia, were both disruptive and fell short of expectations. That also isn’t lost on people.
We were idiots for firing Bora. Take the hit and hire a separate administrator. We should have kept him for the next couple of world cups and built the program.

Last edited:
It’s clearly going to take time to implement Berhalter’s system. Unfortunately, you get a fraction of the time in an international setting compared to a club setting.

It’s clearly going to take time to implement Berhalter’s system. Unfortunately, you get a fraction of the time in an international setting compared to a club setting.
What’s troubling is that the parts of what he wants to do that the young guys are struggling with are pretty basic tactics to average players abroad but we still can’t seem to get out of the mind set that we only play the bucket and hope for a counter attack opportunity.

Also, I know he trusts Trapp and Zardes because those are his guys, and every coach deserves “his guys” but neither is a quality international and neither would make the pool much less the team in 2010. Trapp maybe. MAYBE as a role player.

It’s starting to feel like the discussion isn’t worth the effort if the best players aren’t going to play.
Totally agree. Yes, Beer?halter hasn't had much time with this group. He also is alleged as " a great tactician". This doesn't mean squat if you don't have the best or most experienced players that can implement his tactics.

First of all, put the grab on Weah, Soto & Mendez from the U-20's. Those guys proved they can score from the quals & the WC & at a very high level (IMO) of competition & add back Carrot Top. And they have a year plus to develop. Next, we have Zardes,Trapp & Steffen(who proved he may NOT be the #1 goalie we all thought) who are Beer?halter's boyz so we are stuck with them.

Keep Miazga, Antonee Robinson & Carter-Vickers(a prototype body who just might become the next John Brooks with experience), & add Alfredo Morales along with Jonathan Spector to shore up the back-line. Speaking of Brooks, just pray he stays healthy for WC quals-he's pretty much indespensible. Of course, so are Pulisic, Adams & Wes McKennie(the best player on the pitch for the US v Ecuador, IMO, who gets subbed OUT in the 65th min by Beer?halter).

Please, Coach, dump any 10 of the following for WC quals: Long, Lima & Lovitz, plus Omar & Ream. Give Ethan Horvath &/or Young Klinsman a shot at goalie. Also on the dump list: Arriola, Altidore,Bradley, Miller,Boyd, Holmes, Morris. I'm just very afraid that most of the current roster, regardless of Gold Cup results, will be the group called up for WC quals.

Jurgen had some obstacles, like not being able to take all the players he wanted to take and having to take a certain number of MLS players to boost the league and Gulati and Garber's pockets.

Pia had a whole other issue in that the USWNT was not afforded the same resources as the USMNT despite way more success historically. And she was right and the rest of the world, notably the European and South American countries are allocating more and more resources to their women's sides while the US is stagnant. We will be caught before too long on that side.

Totally agree. Yes, Beer?halter hasn't had much time with this group. He also is alleged as " a great tactician". This doesn't mean squat if you don't have the best or most experienced players that can implement his tactics.

First of all, put the grab on Weah, Soto & Mendez from the U-20's. Those guys proved they can score from the quals & the WC & at a very high level (IMO) of competition & add back Carrot Top. And they have a year plus to develop. Next, we have Zardes,Trapp & Steffen(who proved he may NOT be the #1 goalie we all thought) who are Beer?halter's boyz so we are stuck with them.

Keep Miazga, Antonee Robinson & Carter-Vickers(a prototype body who just might become the next John Brooks with experience), & add Alfredo Morales along with Jonathan Spector to shore up the back-line. Speaking of Brooks, just pray he stays healthy for WC quals-he's pretty much indespensible. Of course, so are Pulisic, Adams & Wes McKennie(the best player on the pitch for the US v Ecuador, IMO, who gets subbed OUT in the 65th min by Beer?halter).

Please, Coach, dump any 10 of the following for WC quals: Long, Lima & Lovitz, plus Omar & Ream. Give Ethan Horvath &/or Young Klinsman a shot at goalie. Also on the dump list: Arriola, Altidore,Bradley, Miller,Boyd, Holmes, Morris. I'm just very afraid that most of the current roster, regardless of Gold Cup results, will be the group called up for WC quals.
Trapp needs to go effectively last December. McKennie was impressive the other day, but I also thought Boyd was extremely effective. Our attack and build up were not the problem against Venezuela ONCE we got the ball out of the back. The problem was getting the ball out of the back. And I'm not quite ready to dump Arriola...his speed has proven to be a thorn and he seems pretty adept at finding space in the attacking 3rd.

Two biggest detriments this team has and they are both defensive shortcomings. The backliners there now do not make good decisions. The pass back to Steffen was a poor decision as it was made late and then put pressure on Steffen to make a decision quicker than he'd like to make one in that situation. I showed my son that because his team constantly puts him in that situation of being too close to make the pass back to the keeper with pressure. Steffen really should have just gave it back to Miazga (or long can't remember) on the side, or just kicked teh crap out of it to the sideline and gave VEN a throw in. The other part is we do not understand when the high press needs to go in order to be effective. We tried it in a place where we could have done it effectively, but there was a player out of position, poor communication of who was covering which space,etc. and the next thing you know VEN is upfield attacking.

Pia had a whole other issue in that the USWNT was not afforded the same resources as the USMNT despite way more success historically. And she was right and the rest of the world, notably the European and South American countries are allocating more and more resources to their women's sides while the US is stagnant. We will be caught before too long on that side.
They’ve already caught up on the field. They had caught up when Pia was here and that’s why she struggled as a mediocre in game tactician and motivator. She ignored the Solo problem. She was just a mediocre coach.

The US men have nothing to do wirh the competition on the field. Our team is still the best paid with the best infrastructure in women’s soccer (though the Swedes may challenge that soon). They have/had all the advantages over the competition. Despite that, and laughably easy qualifying, we couldn’t win when Pia was coach. That’s on Pia.

You know this. No flame or troll or harsh tone intended. Why excuse her lack of performance with a political statement that has nothing to do with how well the USA was prepared versus the actual opponents on the field? You sound like McClellan telling Lincoln that he lost the battle even though he outnumbered the opponent 3 to 1 but would have won if Lincoln approved more reserves and outnumbered Lee 4 to 1.

Last edited:
13-0 is pretty impressive until you realize that Thailand has no professional players. Entertains tho.

They’ve already caught up on the field. They had caught up when Pia was here and that’s why she struggled as a mediocre in game tactician and motivator. She ignored the Solo problem. She was just a mediocre coach.

The US men have nothing to do wirh the competition on the field. Our team is still the best paid with the best infrastructure in women’s soccer (though the Swedes may challenge that soon). They have/had all the advantages over the competition. Despite that, and laughably easy qualifying, we couldn’t win when Pia was coach. That’s on Pia.

You know this. No flame or troll or harsh tone intended. Why excuse her lack of performance with a political statement that has nothing to do with how well the USA was prepared versus the actual opponents on the field? You sound like McClellan telling Lincoln that he lost the battle even though he outnumbered the opponent 3 to 1 but would have won if Lincoln approved more reserves and outnumbered Lee 4 to 1.

Yet that is exactly what the Union did with Grant as commander and effectively won.

Both the men and women's US teams have issues not made by the team itself. The men wear around an anchor of MLS/promotion of the sport that sometimes values the story or perception of players/team over results. The women are not given the support they deserve and carry both politics and celebrity around. The difference is one figures out how to win anyway and the other continues to trip over their own feet.

That's a different perspective on Pia than I had. The team that lost to Japan had a number of internal team issues as well and was also seemingly stuck to some aging stars when its plenty apparent there are always some young new US stars ready to take over. This year Carli Lloyd is unhappy about coming off the bench. Is she still good...of course. Is she better than the current starter...probably not and she's probably not able to go 70 minutes at full pace anymore.

And you may be right that Pia lacked some of the coaching savvy to adjust a game plan when things weren't working. The US has always just been better than the other team 1-11 in most cases. It is still better than almost every other team at about 9 spots and maybe Germany, Sweden, and Brazil they only have advantages at 7 positions as those countries develop bona fide women's super stars. The USWNT coaches have never had to do much coaching or adjusting because of the talent advantage they enjoyed. Ellis seems more suited to this aspect and has geared play towards the mismatches they enjoy. Right now no country has anyone who can deal with the likes of Rapinoe or Tobin Heath (who may be the best player on the team but isn't the personality of a Lloyd, Rapinoe, or Alex Morgan) and if you have outside MFs who can control games and win in the attacking 1/3, teams will struggle. Rapinoe may be the best server of the ball in the game.

The Thailand game was a hot mess. FIFA needs to direct more $$$ from their billions to the women's game worldwide. Jamaica's coaching staff isn't paid. WTH??? This is the reason for the disparity. Kudos to Thailand and Jamaica and South Africa for qualifying despite the lack of resources and commitment from the FAs.

Why do Americans always talk about "system" and give coaches years. I don't buy it. I think berhalter is going to be a disaster, but I am always hopefull.

Why do Americans always talk about "system" and give coaches years. I don't buy it. I think berhalter is going to be a disaster, but I am always hopefull.

Here is the thing about this for me. . . We know who the best players are currently (and let's be honest the tenure of most National coaches is about a cycle). The pro leagues sort this out for us. How about we get a coach whose system fits our best players? If the best eleven are mostly attackers let's play aggressive petal to the metal attacking style. Instead we'll try install a system based on holding the ball and using five defenders.

Here is the thing about this for me. . . We know who the best players are currently (and let's be honest the tenure of most National coaches is about a cycle). The pro leagues sort this out for us. How about we get a coach whose system fits our best players? If the best eleven are mostly attackers let's play aggressive petal to the metal attacking style. Instead we'll try install a system based on holding the ball and using five defenders.
Yeah, this is the way most American youth coaches teach the game and it works at youth levels because there is usually a good deal of variance in size and speed from player to player. It doesn't work against players who have all filled out and developed and trained where the differences are much smaller. US Soccer usually puts the bigger, more lumbering kids in the back, they don't develop great technical skill and usually just boot a ball over the top. Watch Kompany and Virgil Van Dijk. They are big and physical, but they also have pretty excellent technical skill. They move the ball quickly. Miazga and Ream are good one on one defenders but when it comes to technical skill and moving the ball, they're a step slow. And this is why Trapp doesn't work for the role Beerhalter has him in right now.

Yeah, this is the way most American youth coaches teach the game and it works at youth levels because there is usually a good deal of variance in size and speed from player to player. It doesn't work against players who have all filled out and developed and trained where the differences are much smaller. US Soccer usually puts the bigger, more lumbering kids in the back, they don't develop great technical skill and usually just boot a ball over the top. Watch Kompany and Virgil Van Dijk. They are big and physical, but they also have pretty excellent technical skill. They move the ball quickly. Miazga and Ream are good one on one defenders but when it comes to technical skill and moving the ball, they're a step slow. And this is why Trapp doesn't work for the role Beerhalter has him in right now.

I was using it for contrast. Obviously the reverse is as likely. I just meant we know from who the pros are paying and playing what the US talent pool basically is. Since a coach only lasts roughly one world cup cycle and coaches are unlikely to change styles let's match a coach to our available player talent. Atlanta United showed a good example of what happens when you do that. So if the best players are defensive let's get a coach who parks the bus, rather than bringing in a coach who wants a wide open fast paced game.

So it seems we have some strong midfielders and solid prospects for attacking in this generation and are slim on the defensive side. Would it not benefit us to have a coach who does well with that sort of talent rather than forcing a contrasting system on to them?

In American football if you don't have a defense and are explosive offensively you exploit your positives and just try to bury the other team accepting you will probably get scored on. In basketball if you have all shooters and lack size your offense is dropping three balls not banging it into the post.

It seems we often have conflicts between the coach's style for our national team and the players capable of excelling in that style, so we are waiting for them to develope and muddling through till then. By the time the talent starts to trickle in we have moved on to the next coach and style. Is this not a backwards way of doing things? Leaving the team in a constant state of almost there? I might be good at building brick houses, but I need bricks, if you give me wood the house might not be as good, so if you have wood get a carpenter not a brick layer.

I'm generally curious. My soccer knowledge/understanding is pretty basic but it just seems that has been the case with the US team since Arena left the first time.

Well, the biggest problem has been there are three players who need to play who all play best as a pivot 6. Michael Bradley, who still has enough in the tank to claim the job as his own as long as they can sell tickets with his face on the poster, Will Trapp, the coaches pet, and Tyler Adams. They moved Adams into hybrid role roughly as a right back and basically asked him to play two positions so there would be room on the field for Bradley/Trapp. With Tyler hurt and Lima and Cannon the obvious replacements you figure we will be more pragmatic and go back to the bucket with Lima moving forward on the right. A 4-3-3 is possible with Pulisic as a true 10 is possible but I doubt it. I don’t see this team getting creative at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT