ADVERTISEMENT

UEFA Champions League

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So Liverpool is through to the semis and will play Barca. Ajax dispatched of Ronaldo and will play Tottenham. The Tottenham/Manchester City 2nd leg was one of the more insane top level club games I have ever paid attention to. Both teams scored twice in the first 15 minutes. City took a 3-2 advantage with a few minutes remaining before half. But, b/c the aggregate was now tied 3-3 and Tottenham had scored the only away goals, City needed 1 more. City got a 4th early in the 2nd half. Spurs scored a controversial goal in the 73' that was reviewed by VAR and allowed to remain despite it coming off of Llorente's arm/hand but there was no movement of the arm up or away from the body. City scores again in stoppage time to take a 5-3 lead and a 5-4 ad in aggregate and Etihad was rocking BUT (and this is big) the goal was overruled by VAR for an offside play to Aguero. So, City wins the 2nd leg 4-3, they tied on aggregate 4-4, but Spurs advance to the semis on away goals.

That said, what does everyone who follows soccer think about VAR?

I've got no prob w/ the VAR-but it brings a screeching halt to the action even though "alleged or real" injuries do the same. Speaking of the Champions League, Chelsea is in it for sure next year which means young Mr. Pulisic will get to play. BTW, he scored & played the full 90 for Dortmund last Saturday in a tie which prolly cost them a shot at the league title. Sorry about Mo Salah, Bla. The Liverpudlians lose him for their shot at an EPL title & Egypt prolly loses him for a big Africa tourney coming up.

I've got no prob w/ the VAR-but it brings a screeching halt to the action even though "alleged or real" injuries do the same. Speaking of the Champions League, Chelsea is in it for sure next year which means young Mr. Pulisic will get to play. BTW, he scored & played the full 90 for Dortmund last Saturday in a tie which prolly cost them a shot at the league title. Sorry about Mo Salah, Bla. The Liverpudlians lose him for their shot at an EPL title & Egypt prolly loses him for a big Africa tourney coming up.
I saw the knock Salah took but I didn't realize it was that serious. I knew he would probably miss the UCL fixture this week out of caution.

As for VAR, I like it as a back-up to ensure the game is called correctly, but referees and ARs are relying on it too much to make up for missed calls or to make calls for them (i.e. offside). I get letting close plays for offside go, especially when the ball is coming over the top from deep. It is impossible for the human eyes to be able to see in 2 different locations at the same time. You can't be looking 40 yards backfield AND also seeing where the attacker is at the time the ball is played. It is a very tough call to make especially when guys are being slick and making parallel runs with the defender and timing his run up field into space to coincide when the ball is played. What I don't like is when a referee makes a call on the field for a PK and then a VAR overrules it, or vice versa. Where that will be controversial is on corner kicks and a defender grabs a handful of jersey and VAR rules a PK is in order despite the ball not being in the area of play for that attacker. And I hate all the players that immediately call for a replay. I know MLS produces an auto yellow for those players. I don't know if FIFA used that in the WC last year, but I think it is a good counter to every player wanting a replay of everything.

I do like the goal line tech (watch) that EPL is using this year. Again, nearly an impossible call for an AR who is 30 yards away on the very close ones (like we're talking millimeters).

Well, CP's Dortmund career is over & a new era W/ Chelsea will soon begin. It's crazy, but the start of last season saw CP be a hero for Dortmund(2 goals & an assist) in the 1st 3 games & at the end of the season-2 goals & an assist in the last 3 games(a very tight race for league champs which B Munich won, of course).

In the vast middle of the season, CP missed a ton of games due to various injuries & getting beat out by maybe the best 19 yr-old on the planet: Jadon Sancho. Oh well, we all know his skill level, improving all the time, will serve him well in the EPL. And his Champ. League experience will too. Can't wait for Beer?halter's call up for the Gold Cup. Expect plenty of b!tching & moaning from me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT