I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
18) UCF large margin win over Uconn.

12) Michigan St. 48-3 loss to Ohio St.
16) Mississippi St. expected lost to Alabama
17) Virginia Tech lost to Georgia Tech

15) UCF

Show me the money. Too bad OSU pulled out a win against Iowa St.

i would think they’re almost a lock for the G5 BCS rep. They have zero shot at the playoff. Don’t have a win against a Sagarin top 30 and the 92th rated schedule.

18) UCF large margin win over Uconn.

12) Michigan St. 48-3 loss to Ohio St.
16) Mississippi St. expected lost to Alabama
17) Virginia Tech lost to Georgia Tech

15) UCF

Show me the money. Too bad OSU pulled out a win against Iowa St.
Well maybe not.

They prove that we need to schedule cupcakes and get wins. This will put you in the big bowl conversation. Boise did this for years and it made their program. We need to quit playing these road money games. I know the argument is "we need the money". Stupid argument. What we need is an administration to spend the money we have. If you need some light reading, look at the balance sheet of this university. Play cupcakes, get wins and momentum, get ranked, and then the money will come. UCF was horrible 2 years ago but knew how to schedule.

Reactions: TUGrad06
i would think they’re almost a lock for the G5 BCS rep. They have zero shot at the playoff. Don’t have a win against a Sagarin top 30 and the 92th rated schedule.

Sagarin has Baylor ranked in the top 100 so I'm not putting a lot of weight in their rankings.

UCF has wins against a Memphis team that is currently ranked in the top 25, a Navy team that has spent time in the top 25 and a USF team that is currently ranked in the top 25. They're likely to play Memphis again in the title game. That would be a better resume than what Wisconsin is going to end the season with.

You're right that they have zero shot at the playoff though. As disgusting as that is.

You may not look at indexes like Sagarin but the committee does. They know and take into account that UFC has the 99th ranked schedule. They are penalizing Wisconsin as well. Wisconsin schedule is #63 btw. A G5 is going to have to schedule a few top 20 OOC games get consideration from the committee. I’ve argued for some time that one of the purposes of the committee is the exclusion of G5 schools from the party.

Baylor is #99 so technically you are correct.

They prove that we need to schedule cupcakes and get wins. This will put you in the big bowl conversation. Boise did this for years and it made their program. We need to quit playing these road money games. I know the argument is "we need the money". Stupid argument. What we need is an administration to spend the money we have. If you need some light reading, look at the balance sheet of this university. Play cupcakes, get wins and momentum, get ranked, and then the money will come. UCF was horrible 2 years ago but knew how to schedule.

Are you aware of the financial situation TU is in? There’s no extra money... anywhere. So this notion of “spend money!” Is irrelevant because there’s no money to be spent. It’s not like it’s being hoarded in Dr. Clancy’s office in a vault... Dr. Upham left TU in a lurch financially and it’s gonna take several years to get it figured out. So get used to the money games... and no it’s not a stupid argument. It’s reality.

To be fair to UCF they schedule GTech and Maryland. Granted Maryland has been bad for awhile but it wasn’t their fault the game with GTech was cancelled. They will also lose their coach in the next 6 weeks or so.

You are wrong on the financial issue. It is about money being spent in the athletic realm. We also concentrate on limiting the student body instead of expanding. Like I said, look at the balance sheet. If you are a donor, you get one.

You are wrong on the financial issue. It is about money being spent in the athletic realm. We also concentrate on limiting the student body instead of expanding. Like I said, look at the balance sheet. If you are a donor, you get one.

Anyone who has any knowledge of the inner workings of TU knows that there’s a pretty big financial issue... ask any TU employee if the financial situation has affected them - the answer will be an astounding yes. I am indeed a donor, and even though that balance sheet may paint a rosy picture, the fact of the matter is that there isn’t piles of money sitting around for athletics to use. Further, I know some pretty drastic measures were discussed regarding several programs/colleges at TU. I think Dr. Clancy is doing his best to right the ship, but there’s much more to the story than that balance sheet.

I do agree with you about enrollment. However, there’s another issue in that realm too. I know TU is doing everything they can to get kids to enroll but that is proving to be harder than anticipated with the annual tuition increase.

At the end of the day, I want TU to be as successful as they possibly can, but you can’t squeeze water from a rock. Maybe I’ll win the lottery one of these days and donate millions to the athletic program, but until then, get used to what we’re seeing because it isn’t changing for the foreseeable future.

There are certainly funds on the balance sheet, but there also needs to be an understanding of where and how those funds are committed, what stipulations are placed on them, and whether accessing them is prudent.

I'm certain many factors are involved when a decision to increase a student population is increased, I'm not privy to all of those but feel like I can make a couple of assumptions.
Do we lower the standards for admission so we can increase revenue by increasing the student population? How does such action affect the prestige level of the university due to a lesser qualified student population?

Our tuition is on par with schools maintaining similar standards and stature. If a student wants to come to TU and meets the standards for admission, it seems TU finds a place for them, but it's not for everyone.

Where do we get those additional students, that will help the balance sheet? They aren't likely going to come locally, and to increase the alumni fan base that's what most likely would be needed to raise revenue and the benefits would be years away. There are too many options for local students to complete their educations at little to no cost. The available financial aid needed for most locals to end up at TU is not nearly sufficient.

Sure many others can add to, correct, refute, etc. as these are just my presumptions.

There are certainly funds on the balance sheet, but there also needs to be an understanding of where and how those funds are committed, what stipulations are placed on them, and whether accessing them is prudent.

I'm certain many factors are involved when a decision to increase a student population is increased, I'm not privy to all of those but feel like I can make a couple of assumptions.
Do we lower the standards for admission so we can increase revenue by increasing the student population? How does such action affect the prestige level of the university due to a lesser qualified student population?

Our tuition is on par with schools maintaining similar standards and stature. If a student wants to come to TU and meets the standards for admission, it seems TU finds a place for them, but it's not for everyone.

Where do we get those additional students, that will help the balance sheet? They aren't likely going to come locally, and to increase the alumni fan base that's what most likely would be needed to raise revenue and the benefits would be years away. There are too many options for local students to complete their educations at little to no cost. The available financial aid needed for most locals to end up at TU is not nearly sufficient.

Sure many others can add to, correct, refute, etc. as these are just my presumptions.

Pretty accurate.

The University's strategic plan should be public in the not too distant future. It's excellent and there is a concrete path to getting back to black operationally. The recent deficit has needed to be filled with endowment proceeds.

A balance sheet =/= operational budget.

I don't believe USF and UCF have played yet. The winner will host the AAC championship likely vs. Memphis. The AAC is a lock for a NY Day bowl game with 3 top 25 teams. Only Boise is getting a few votes.

UCF is actually really good. There are a number of P5 programs who are chasing Scott Frost. I expect Florida and Tennessee to both make a run at him with lots of money. There are rumors that Nebraska has already reached out to Frost's agent to not only gauge interest but unofficially offer the job. I am hoping this is not a distraction to UCF as these things do tend to take their toll on teams. Not getting the GaTech game rescheduled and played is one of those things that's going to hurt UCF's chances of breaking the no P5 in the playoff. With that game they might be top 60 schedule wise instead of where they are.

USF is good but it appears that some of AAC teams have started figuring out Strong and his approach on both sides of the ball and by watching tape of Texas and Louisville from past years. Apparently Strong does not adapt or adjust.

Memphis is the odd ball. They've got as much talent on the offensive side of the ball as any team in the nation. Their D is pretty lousy overall.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
I know it is a stretch, but use your head. The publicly released financial summary paints the rosiest picture legally possible. I see the same stuff you do and probably more. People give money to build buildings with their name on them. People do not give money to pay down the interest on bad debt or to save foundering programs. Second, the athletic department is part of the University. Each silo, in theory, is a co-equal part. You cant flash a bunch of cash around one program while people are being laid off. Even if they wanted to spend a bunch, and they don't, they still cant. As for enrollment expanding, you might want to look at the nationwide slide in education enrollment. Between the economy booming and a new generation of parents, many of whom are still in debt from their own loans, you aren't getting many takers for high price tag private schools in the middle of the country.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I know it is a stretch, but use your head. The publicly released financial summary paints the rosiest picture legally possible. I see the same stuff you do and probably more. People give money to build buildings with their name on them. People do not give money to pay down the interest on bad debt or to save foundering programs. Second, the athletic department is part of the University. Each silo, in theory, is a co-equal part. You cant flash a bunch of cash around one program while people are being laid off. Even if they wanted to spend a bunch, and they don't, they still cant. As for enrollment expanding, you might want to look at the nationwide slide in education enrollment. Between the economy booming and a new generation of parents, many of whom are still in debt from their own loans, you aren't getting many takers for high price tag private schools in the middle of the country.

Yep - sounds like you know what you’re talking about.

Y'all should seriously wait to see the new strategic plan before continuing to think you know exactly where we're going.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
It makes several assumptions regarding the availability of certain funding sources that should never be assumed. So the plan is interesting and aspirational, but we shall see if it fulfills the goals as other recent plans were able to do.

The 2015 Oxley plan made similar assumptions about the continued growth of downtown Tulsa while forgetting that much of that growth can be traced back to federal incentives and street development funds that were provided as part of the stimulus. Those funds aren’t coming back.

The plan was tone deaf to some people. The plan talks about white people being a majority minority in 15 years, but the pages that use the word diversity actually talk about more than one funding source and the photo they use next to that discussion is everyone in the first class. Everyone in the picture is white wearing a white coat. They look like a bowl of potato soup.

Everyone was high on Montgomery coming in and then again after the second bowl, but I’ve consistently said let’s wait and see on him. He’s young and unproven on the recruiting trail with some unorthodox views and a somewhat unique offensive strategy. I still have that opinion after a struggling season.

It’s the same with Clancy and the plans. I’m cautiously optimistic but I take the time to discern what is aspirational/fundraising doubletalk and what are legitimate achieveable goals. He doesn’t have a proven track record yet but by nearly all accounts seems to be avoiding division and controversy. That’s a good start, but the teacher certification issue is a big bruise early.

If you've read the plan there's no reason to keep insisting that the University is aiming to restrict enrollment.

If you've read the plan there's no reason to keep insisting that the University is aiming to restrict enrollment.

That’s correct - they’re betting the house on increasing enrollment. Beefing up the admissions department and adding regional recruiters (as far out as Southern California). I really hope it works, but again, we’ll find out soon enough.

"take the time to discern what is aspirational/fundraising doubletalk and what are legitimate achieveable goals." Are the key words in my response.

When you've worked as long as I have in politics, criminal defense, and negotiations, people will put something in front of you and say that is what they are going to do, and maybe even spend some money in an effort to do that as a distraction, but that is often far from what their true long term goals actually are.

This current round would not be the first time TU has told us one thing during fund raising, then slowly and subtly changed the plan over time to what they really meant. Internally, there is a drive to make TU an international/nationally visible university. They are a distinct and vocal minority. When you lead, you sometimes have to give lip service to a constituency. That doesnt mean there isnt going to be a pivot or that money follows promises.

Last edited:
That’s correct - they’re betting the house on increasing enrollment. Beefing up the admissions department and adding regional recruiters (as far out as Southern California). I really hope it works, but again, we’ll find out soon enough.
Did TU do away with the regional admissions reps they had based in key recruiting locations i.e. St. Louis and Dallas? I know the individuals who were those reps and they were actually based and officed in those cities and only occasionally came to Tulsa for quarterly strategic meetings etc.

Did TU do away with the regional admissions reps they had based in key recruiting locations i.e. St. Louis and Dallas? I know the individuals who were those reps and they were actually based and officed in those cities and only occasionally came to Tulsa for quarterly strategic meetings etc.

I’m not 100% sure on that, I’d assume they’re still out there but I can’t say for sure.

As of last month, there was one in the Dallas metroplex. I know of no plans to change that.

I have a high school senior who is being recruited by the University. I am astounded by the amount of mail and email that she receives from the school. I'm kind of biased, but the presentation material that we receive is as good or better than info sent by competing schools.

Admissions and recruiting does seem to be doing a good job.

I have a high school senior who is being recruited by the University. I am astounded by the amount of mail and email that she receives from the school. I'm kind of biased, but the presentation material that we receive is as good or better than info sent by competing schools.

Admissions and recruiting does seem to be doing a good job.

That’s good to hear since TU is putting a lot of resources towards that department. I really do hope it works - I think it would benefit TU greatly to marginally increase enrollment.

Yeah, UCF will leapfrog OSU in the rankings.

I hope whoever goes to the New Years bowl gets matched up with OU/TCU. Would love for the American to beat the snot out of the Big Twelve Minus Two

Yeah, UCF will leapfrog OSU in the rankings.

I hope whoever goes to the New Years bowl gets matched up with OU/TCU. Would love for the American to beat the snot out of the Big Twelve Minus Two
If UCF played OU the game would last 4.5 hours and the O/U would be 80.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT