ADVERTISEMENT

UC Davis Game Thread

THIS. IS. NOT. ACCEPTABLE!!!

i am totally disgusted. We will be fortunate to win a game this year.
I may not even bother to watch another one. Seriously considering cancelling plans for my 50th homecoming!!
We have had too many years of this crap!!!
I am sorry you have gotten to this point, I really am.

I think this is our first loss to an FCS school

honestly not even mad. this is what has happened every year under Monty, we just managed to squeak things out at the end a few times a year.

Reactions: TulsaAM
But we had Brin and our offense will be so wide open. He's such a good guy, it's just those darn bad breaks in close games.

My absolute favorite though was the one where we would be better after losing a top 16 pick to the NFL.

So can we fire this worthless coach yet or do we have to sit through another year of bull:crap:?

Reminds me of the Notre Dame game where ND only had to kick a FG to win and made a dumb pass call. Monty did the exact thing tonight.

I don’t think the defense is “gone”. After UCD scored a TD on their first possession they didn’t see the end zone again and that’s with 3 or 4 starters out. The game was lost on offensive mistakes and penalties. The block in the back by Santana surely cost us a TD and it was not only behind the play but unintentional. The two interceptions didn’t hep either, one cost us another score and the second gave them a short field they converted into 3 points. All that could have been overcome though if not for the fumble by stokes. He holds on and at worst it’s a 20-19 win.

This game was lost by the administration who has never held this coach responsible.

This is not a new story, this is the same Monty who has been on repeat since Bill's recruits left.

He can't manage a game and is too busy trying to be an offensive coordinator to be a head coach.

There is no way that this clown ever called plays for Art Briles. I doubt if Art ever let him hold the playbook...

By the way.. Briles is available..

• Wow
Reactions: TU 1978 and TulsaAM
There is no way that this clown ever called plays for Art Briles. I doubt if Art ever let him hold the playbook...

By the way.. Briles is available..

Not just a no, but a **** no.

Graham would be cheap to get from Hawaii though

Reactions: TU 1978
17 points at home vs an FCS team.
Well, here I am. Been reading these threads for years, enjoying the many thoughts and comments posted. Thought I would never sign up so that I could also participate. But after tonight, well here I am. My initial thought after attending the game: many schools would fire him tonight. I don't wanna hear about players out, or that I should be loyal and blindly support the program. I have been attending faithfully since 1970. I sat through the last Rader years. I sat through Burns. Never been a fair weather fan. Go to the bowl games. Travel to Norman, Stillwater, Fayetteville, Austin. True Blue through thick and thin. But I am honestly considering intentionally avoiding another game this year in protest. I could never have kept a job this long with such incompetent performance. He shouldn't either. And oh the poor timing, with all that is occurring in college football. Get rid of him. Now. We've been patient. We are weary. Ugh

Not just a no, but a **** no.

Graham would be cheap to get from Hawaii though
Our coach was neck deep in that scandal too... no way that was going on without his knowledge.. thats why he is still here... because that stuff is like the dog crap you thought you cleaned off your boots.. you could wash them 100 times and still smell it every time you are in the car..

Reactions: TulsaAM
Thinking about wearing a mask to all the rest of the games so no one recognizes me!

can we trade davis for their QB?
Their QB was only 28 out of 35 pass attempts
people on this board clamoring for Davis Brin last season, just
shows how much you know about football. He started out throwing behind receivers and then
threw short with people wide open. His mistakes cost TU this game no matter how
you spin it.

Anyone else notice that the student's "UC Sucks!" Chant just seemed to motivate them?

Reactions: TU Pilot
Our coach was neck deep in that scandal too... no way that was going on without his knowledge.. thats why he is still here... because that stuff is like the dog crap you thought you cleaned off your boots.. you could wash them 100 times and still smell it every time you are in the car..

Do you see me advocating for keeping this coach?

I was against the Blankenship firing.

Do you see me advocating for keeping this coach?

I was against the Blankenship firing.
I wasnt against Bills firing.. but i was against this guy.. i watched Briles' career and never saw this guy getting credit for playcalling.. if he were the genius he was sold as then he wouldnt have been available..

Someone will hire Briles.. he will win.. and his redemption story will be an espn documentary..

at least this starts putting a nail in monties coffin right off the bat.
According to Kelly Hines, 6 are missing the entire game and 3 are not playing. The first half. 4 were disciplined in a different way for a total of 13 players disciplined.
Our defense looks fine and will improve. It is clear we are missing the defensive player of the year and our starting CBs that transferred at the last moment.

I still think our biggest problem, beside Monty play calling, is the WRs just aren’t great. They’re not bad, but we don’t have a true stand out. If we had a Keyaris Garret it would make a big difference for the entire WR Corp.

Our 4-deep RB group is fantastic, as is our offensive line.
They are throwing to running back coming out, swing routes and throwing deep go routes down the sideline and down the middle. Running game did fine , so it’s Montgomery’s fault that Brin is throwing behind receivers , then throws short to wide open receivers . What are your offensive calls when your annointed Davis Brin throws late into the end zone ?

I’ve been a fan of Tulsa since the late 90s. When I was a kid my dad used to take me to the Tulsa games even though he was an OU fan because it was cheaper. Since then I’ve been to as many games as I can every year. After this, I can’t.
I’m sick and tired of watching the inept offenses this joke of a coach throws out there every game. If they don’t do anything quickly we will lag further and further behind programs we used to be successful against.

On a lighter note, I don't hate quite as much the dude in the red shirt & cap since he now has an assistant holding a countdown clock that starts counting down from the minutes ESPN will take for their damn commercials. Now we know how long we have to go to the crapper, get another beer, feed the dog or puke 'cause our team is playing like she-ite.

Without big money you cannot win and there is no big money for this program. Once in a while you catch lightning in a bottle (Collins last year, the Hurry Up No Huddle, etc.)... but it is obvious the program is dying.

Sad...

Without big money you cannot win and there is no big money for this program. Once in a while you catch lightning in a bottle (Collins last year, the Hurry Up No Huddle, etc.)... but it is obvious the program is dying.

Sad...

I stopped giving. TU Law went total Lib, and TU Athletics is a joke. I want Tulsa to find itself again but in these times, it's not going to happen. The train has left, and TU isn't on it. Sad.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM and TU 1978
I was impressed by our kicking game and the rush defense. Only gave up 13 for 122 yards. No, wait. that was penalty yards against us. Actual yards given up: 46 rushes for 88. Unfortunately, opponents will throw it...a lot. Very disappointed in our pass defense, despite the defections to Mizz. Tyon Davis must be reading his press clippings and forgot how to play the game.

The rest of it.....TO's, penalties, dropped passes, etc. just looks painfully familiar.

Seems like maybe Smith wasn’t the issue on offense.
I think his limitations were part of the problem. Brin had more plays to use from the play book and Monty's play calling last night, surprisingly, was not one of the things I had an issue with . Even the one where everyone got upset about Stokes fumbling. The play was designed to get a first down and was a relatively safe play call. In that situation, it was the right play call (3rd and 4 or so). Yes, we had dominated the LOS running the football but in that situation, the run was predictable and I believe UCD had the inside over loaded. Our WRs do a relatively poor job securing the football after they catch it. The incidence of fumbling is way too high in that position group. And I understand why Monty is going after it there. Kicking a FG on 4th down with 3 minutes left leaves too much to chance on the defensive side. UCD showed they could get into FG range and kick all night. What they hadn't shown beyond the first 5 minutes of the game was an ability to put the ball into the end zone.

The deficiency is Monty's ability to develop a QB who can read a defense presnap and adjust. This stupid "check with me" system takes the decision making out of the QBs hands and forces them to throw to a certain receiver despite any last minute defensive shifts that occur. If I'm a defensive coordinator, my players shift after the "check with me" moment. TBH, the 3rd down call was the perfect time for Brin to use the RPO and keep the ball himself. UCD was way overcommitted to the RBs all night and would have been in that situation. The effectiveness of this offense is predicated on the QB keeping the ball occasionally BY DESIGN. Dane did this to perfection his last year.

If I had to pick one sequence of events that stood out last night, it was #90 jumping offsides for 5 yards then lollygagging over to the sideline and getting another 5 yards for being too slow.

Stuff like that loses games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT