ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Smith update

I only caught the 4th quarter and I didn't see any plays where he looked like a flat out rookie getting beat by a vet. There were several plays that Cooper Rush was getting pressured but it always seemed away from Tyler and Tyler was manhandling the DE on his side. I think he's going to be just fine.

That would probably be best for his overall development curve.
I don't know about that. He looked really good last week in both run blocking and pass protection. And the Cowboys are adamant he is their future LT in waiting. No reason to not have him play and develop at that position now with Tyron Smith gone for the season and Dak out 4-6 weeks and the likelihood of the Cowboys making the playoffs being extremely small.

Reactions: TU 1978
Can't believe I'm the first one posting this. Clearly the rest of you need more boring jobs.

Cowboy Rookie Who Stood Out
The No. 24 overall pick was serviceable in his first start replacing Tyron Smith. Remember, he took no snaps at left tackle in the preseason and had just a handful of days at work there in practice before facing the Buccaneers. And he spent most of the game playing with an almost equally inexperienced left guard in Matt Farniok. He had a false start penalty and some other missteps, but for a first start with such little time on task at that spot, he was good enough. The question is how much longer will he stay there. With Connor McGovern suffering a high ankle sprain, the Cowboys might move him to left guard once veteran tackle Jason Peters gets up to speed. -

• Haha
Reactions: Henry Kendall
So since I hate any team with the name Cowboys, I don't know their roster. Is Matt Farniok related to Will Farniok?

Reactions: loca2874
I watched most of the game - fantasy.

Tyler looked like a Vet. Actually... I think the praise was not as much as he should have received. He was nearly flawless. Only real spark in the entire Cowboys inept offense.

Tyler had another good game yesterday, holding his own against Trey Hendrickson who is a very good player.

The Cowboys even ran a few plays to the left against the Bengals. Last week all running plays were to the right.

And a great day for Cowboys fans! A win over the might Bengals with Cooper Rush (who TU destroyed in the Miami Beach Bowl). And the Masters and Commanders with full epaulets and bow tied shoes lose to lowly Detroit . Now, for the Eagles to go down!

And a great day for Cowboys fans! A win over the might Bengals with Cooper Rush (who TU destroyed in the Miami Beach Bowl). And the Masters and Commanders with full epaulets and bow tied shoes lose to lowly Detroit . Now, for the Eagles to go down!
Bruh....I have the feeling the Eagles are going to be the dominant team in the NFC East this season. So many weapons and Jalen Hurts looks extremely capable of being the man. It's not like Minnesota is a bad team and they're usually solid on defense even if they are using a TU turncoat a lot at DB.

Tyler had another good game yesterday, holding his own against Trey Hendrickson who is a very good player.

The Cowboys even ran a few plays to the left against the Bengals. Last week all running plays were to the right.
The irony is that our local station carried the Texans instead of the Cowboys, much to the annoyance of the few remaining Dallas fans. I got to witness Lovie’s Lackluster Offense. The Texans need a QB. Lovie might want to take a look at Davis Brin.

The irony is that our local station carried the Texans instead of the Cowboys, much to the annoyance of the few remaining Dallas fans. I got to witness Lovie’s Lackluster Offense. The Texans need a QB. Lovie might want to take a look at Davis Brin.
They will do something stupid like trade for Geno Smith and give him $120 million.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Tyler Smith was the highest graded rookie tackle for week 2 (by PFF). He's been good this year. But now there is film on him so let's see if DEs and coordinators start trying to exploit things they pick up from the film.

We need Brin to hang around for another year of eligibility

We need Brin to hang around for another year of eligibility
If I was advising him I would tell him to declare after this year. Stokes, Santana, Epps, Anderson, Prince should all be leaving after this year. I don’t think he will have the production that he does now. Also I wouldn’t have him transfer (look at Player with Baylor). IMO this is his year to shine and the next two weeks are critical for him and this team.

Donald is giving Tyler some trouble right now. A couple holding penalties in Tyler and he just beat him for a sack.

Donald is giving Tyler some trouble right now. A couple holding penalties in Tyler and he just beat him for a sack.
If you put a rookie with 4 games experience against the best DT in football, a surefire HOFer in the peak of his prime, and you don't give the rook help on every single play, well that sounds like a coaching issues, not a player issue.

Tyler's probably saying give me 6 or 7 years and I might be ready for him. He'll be 38 and I'll be 28.

He did very well considering he was menaced all game by a guy that figures to be one of the greats at his position. That being said, he certainly received some schooling from Donald. He'll learn from the experience and that will be the greatest benefit.

Reactions: TulsaAM
He did very well considering he was menaced all game by a guy that figures to be one of the greats at his position. That being said, he certainly received some schooling from Donald. He'll learn from the experience and that will be the greatest benefit.
No doubt. And Donald seemed to pull out all the stops today too. I have to go back and look but I think Tyler had a key block on Pollard's long TD run. TBH, I don't care about the results of the game because I loathe the Cowboys and don't care much for the Rams. My only rooting interest in this game is hoping Tyler played well and that Cooper Kupp got me enough fantasy points to help me win this week. By all accounts, both happened.

Reactions: maverickfp
No doubt. And Donald seemed to pull out all the stops today too. I have to go back and look but I think Tyler had a key block on Pollard's long TD run. TBH, I don't care about the results of the game because I loathe the Cowboys and don't care much for the Rams. My only rooting interest in this game is hoping Tyler played well and that Cooper Kupp got me enough fantasy points to help me win this week. By all accounts, both happened.
I would say you would consider it a very successful outcome if those were the things you were looking for.

I would say you would consider it a very successful outcome if those were the things you were looking for.
Sure. Even better was the Patriots shutting out the #1 offense in the NFL yesterday (up until yesterday) and knowing they have a back-up QB who can manage a game (Bailey Zappe).

I remember another rookie in 1994 for Cowboys wearing #73, playing right tackle against Reggie White on Thanksgiving and getting tossed around like a rag doll on a few plays. Larry Allen turned out ok.

Also, anyone remember Bob Lilly not getting double teamed? Tyler Smith, even though he had a few rough plays against the great Aaron Donald, overall played well on most plays.

And like the 1994 game, Dallas won. Overall, Smith has been terrific this year.

I remember another rookie in 1994 for Cowboys wearing #73, playing right tackle against Reggie White on Thanksgiving and getting tossed around like a rag doll on a few plays. Larry Allen turned out ok.

Also, anyone remember Bob Lilly not getting double teamed? Tyler Smith, even though he had a few rough plays against the great Aaron Donald, overall played well on most plays.

And like the 1994 game, Dallas won. Overall, Smith has been terrific this year.
Spot on, and as Tyler continues the maturation process as he earns his education from the lessons of facing vets like Donald (well, there really aren't any other guys like Donald in the league) he's going to set his limit as to how high he wants to go. Young man certainly appears to be way ahead of projections in his rookie year.

Tyler got schooled by Aaron and what a great opportunity for a rookie. Tyler learned from that game and got a lesson from the best ever. The team won the game and Tyler won because he got a lesson to help him become an Aaron. Tyler has nothing to be embarrassed about iron sharpens iron and he got sharper that day. The future is so bright for Tyler and I can’t wait to watch it unfold for him.

Reactions: TU 1978 and rusty-c
Tyles seemed to be pretty good last night vs the Eagles despite Rush not playing a great game. I can only remember one play where Tyler got beat by an outside speed rush but Rush rolled away and was able to get rid of the ball.

Tyles seemed to be pretty good last night vs the Eagles despite Rush not playing a great game. I can only remember one play where Tyler got beat by an outside speed rush but Rush rolled away and was able to get rid of the ball.
Rush looked like the QB that we abused in the bowl game...

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT