ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter

I'd love for you to spend six months in China. I don't think you would be comparing our government to china then.
Frankly I hope that I will never have to visit there. Worry that business might require it sometimes.

Frankly I hope that I will never have to visit there. Worry that business might require it sometimes.
I wouldn't mind visiting there, as long as it was just a visit. Would like to go there & Japan. Am attracted to their shrines and older places that haven't changed much. Not terribly interested in their cities though.

I wouldn't mind visiting there, as long as it was just a visit. Would like to go there & Japan. Am attracted to their shrines and older places that haven't changed much. Not terribly interested in their cities though.
Monty Python basically sums up my attitude towards China....

"Well on second thought let's not go to ____ China____. 'Tis a silly place."

I went to Japan a few times on business almost 30 years ago. Maybe some things have changed but I doubt it. They are the most respectful people on earth. Taxi drivers get out of their car and open the door for you and place a clean doily where you can rest your head.

Traffic even back then was horrible, especially in Toyoko. Most people had TV’s in their cars as they waited in traffic. I even witnessed a women driver cutting her hair in traffic.

The shrines were unbelievable too. Before I went the 1st time I was taught their customs and how to not insult or embarrass them unintentionally. I had to give some presentations to DuPont’s Japanese and other pacific rim HR people and I still remember that I was to speak slowly, maintain eye contact, address each Japanese using the suffix “san” after their name and seek out responses and dialog. Not bad things to remember anywhere in the world , except the “LEC San.”

I was even able to work out an exchange program to bring some of their IT people working for HR to DuPont in Delaware. I was never disappointed in their abilities or work efforts.

Another highlight of my first trip was myself and my three business partners working on a difficult crossword puzzle in the limo to DC for the flight. We finally completed it before we reached Narita airport, as the Japanese stewardesses on the flight helped us answer 3 difficult questions concerning Japanese culture.

It was also my first taste of sushi on the flight and was followed up by the best sushi I’ve ever had at a welcoming part there. It’s now a favorite food of mine.

Since this post is long and probably boring to most, I have to end with a story about one of our meals there. Traveling with us was a female (I can still say that, can’t I?). We all ordered a dish with Kobe beef and huge prawns, all cooked table side.

They first prepared the fresh large prawns and they placed them on the grill, covered with a metal covering. As they took the cover off once, one of the prawns jumped about 2 inches. Marian was taken aback and stated, “if they bring a cow out next, I’m going home.” After returning stateside, whenever we had a dinner with her, that story was always told.

Thanks for indulging me.

The surveillance would be too much for me.

Reactions: noble cane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT