ADVERTISEMENT

TULSA WORLD

Is Pippi Longstocking still the ‘beat writer’?

Nice front sports page story and photograph in Tulsa paper, Friday.

Reactions: Raisin_Cane
That paper is really struggling. It concerns me because you need a community to like, know what’s goin on, you know? There’s no Bill Connors, it won’t ever be like then again. They try.

Been a subscriber for 30 years. It is concerning how newspapers are struggling everywhere. Not much content in newspapers. It's usually old news. The coverage of the TU football S &C coach was interesting.

Newspapers today provide -

Outdated stories
Plenty of advertising circulars
Material to line the bird cage

Unless you’re doing serious investigative reporting, much of what the newspaper prints lags behind online news by hours or even days.

Newspapers today provide -

Outdated stories
Plenty of advertising circulars
Material to line the bird cage

Unless you’re doing serious investigative reporting, much of what the newspaper prints lags behind online news by hours or even days.
The local stories don't lag behind, they simply aren't written about.

It's too bad there are not financially sound supplementary sources of income for journalists similar to this board, but instead focused on some other aspect of local news other than sports. The state we have reduced the local newspaper towards is almost non existent.

much of what the newspaper prints
comes directly from the Associated Press! Still miss the Tribune which had a much better sports & editorial page. At least the TW did good by moving J. Tramel & J.(really big dude) Klein to elsewhere than the sports page. They do mostly human interest stories & are usually excellent.

No comment on current state of TW sports page.

Reactions: TU 1978
What?? Huh?? Another very good article by Scoop in today's TW about the Okie HoF ceremony in OKC. Great quotes & blurps from giants like Rhome, Largent, Pearson & Twilley. Has Scoop turned the corner on attitude towards TU? Nahhhh!

What?? Huh?? Another very good article by Scoop in today's TW about the Okie HoF ceremony in OKC. Great quotes & blurps from giants like Rhome, Largent, Pearson & Twilley. Has Scoop turned the corner on attitude towards TU? Nahhhh!
Nah, Scoop only pays attention because those guys are legit pro-HOFs. Where's his article about Dexter McCoil and his journey to the NFL and the camp he created back in Louisiana to grind for what you want? Scoop only writes glowingly about the others because he can say he met 4 HOFs, sort of like DW wanting to shake Mike Krzysewski's hand.

Ironically, this morning my wife trashed the TW because they wrote a small blurb about the OGA State Amateur championship which has reached the semifinal rounds. The TW focused on the 2 OSU players who are not from the Tulsa metro and barely mention the kid who is from Tulsa, graduated from Union, yada yada yada. She couldn't understand why the TW wouldn't focus on the local kid and hadn't quite understood the TW only cares about OU, OSU, and occasionally the Thunder. (She has a tie to the local kid as his dad is her supervisor). Just perfectly illustrates how focused on things not local the TW is and why it is dying.

I had been reading the TW since the early 60's. I quit the paper about 2 years ago, because it wasn't worth 2 cents let alone $1 for the daily and $2.50 for the Sunday. Outside of Eric Bailey the TW sports writers would be hard pressed to get jobs writing for a local middle school gazette!

Reactions: TU_BLA
Is there a white collar job in Tulsa where you work even harder for less money with less reason to believe your job will exist in a year?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Why would Public School Teachers wonder if their job will exist next year? Seems like one of the more stable jobs considering the steady demand and tenure perks.

Why would Public School Teachers wonder if their job will exist next year? Seems like one of the more stable jobs considering the steady demand and tenure perks.
Automation.. There is no need for an 1800's style classroom anymore. Technology can provide unlimited instruction and opportunity.

With the evaluations as they are now, there is no such thing as tenure these days. Also most teachers will work more hours in a week than a sports writer.

My brother hardly ever gets a day off once August rolls around until April. Also, Barry Lewis is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge. And he can write.

As for technology teaching the kids, I can assure you that technology doesn't keep kids in line. Or keep them off of their cell phones. Or motivate them to do anything. Or provide guidance.

I would challenge anyone who hasn' been in a classroom lately to take over a class for a week. Or even for a day. It was funny talking with John Phillips the first week he returned to the classroom a few years ago. He was a little shell shocked. He did a good job coaching there, though.

Teachers need to use technology wherever it is appropriate. But still, there is no substitute for a teacher.

As the second longest tenured teacher at my TPS high school, I vote for teaching still being a white collar job. Whatever it is, I still enjoy it.

However, my work for ITS is more fun.

With the evaluations as they are now, there is no such thing as tenure these days. Also most teachers will work more hours in a week than a sports writer.

Not disputing the hours comment. Channel 6 just did a story on the teacher shortage the state is facing this year. Good teachers should have zero concerns about job stability.

Don't particularly give a spit or a buck about what Peterson is tired of hearing about.

Not disputing the hours comment. Channel 6 just did a story on the teacher shortage the state is facing this year. Good teachers should have zero concerns about job stability.
There are plenty of bad administrators, so there can be plenty of concerns with stability.

Maybe he meant stability in the second and third jobs they have to have to pay the rent? Lose those and they’re sleeping in their classrooms...

Reactions: rusty-c
I may be late to the discussion but this is the most ignorant comment I have ever reason this board. And tenure perks? What perks would those be?

Reactions: old.guy
I may be late to the discussion but this is the most ignorant comment I have ever reason this board. And tenure perks? What perks would those be?

We have a shortage of teachers in Oklahoma. This isn't an industry which is effected by the economy. The demand will always be present. Why wouldn't their jobs not only exist next year but be one of the most stable of any profession?

Tenure typically provides perks such as class room assignments, etc.... Can't speak for every district but a teacher whose been with a district for 20 years has several advantages over one whose been there for 2 years when it comes to class preferences.

I liked Emig's writeup on Skipper.

"If Skipper builds on it, Philip Montgomery won’t even have to bother with an official “So-and-so is our starter” announcement. It will be that obvious. It’s already obvious, honestly."

No? The only people who have talked about a position change for the guy that’s been a
quarterback his whole life are the people on this board.
If Chad could throw it at all, at least good enough for the CFL, his determination to stay
at the QB position would make a lot more sense....Because of his lack of competence
in throwing the ball we can't afford to play him there....It would make little or no sense
to do so, except in very special running situations.....

As a receiver, he is athletic enough, fast enough, and big enough to possibly excel...If
he has any wishes to continue football after college, or to more fully participate in our
games, it seems logical for him to give it a try....

I guess that's why we talk about it.....

Last edited:
Drew Pearson suceeded Joe Theisman as qb for their high school in New Jersey, and had a pretty good career as a wr in college and the pros.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
If Monty were to trot out President for the first drive of the season, I would have to give him props for one thing... he would have cajones the size of the Empire State building. I mean... that would be the most brave (but stupid) thing I could think of a coach ever doing.

Reactions: HuffyCane
We have a shortage of teachers in Oklahoma. This isn't an industry which is effected by the economy. The demand will always be present. Why wouldn't their jobs not only exist next year but be one of the most stable of any profession?

Tenure typically provides perks such as class room assignments, etc.... Can't speak for every district but a teacher whose been with a district for 20 years has several advantages over one whose been there for 2 years when it comes to class preferences.

Many teachers are on repeating "1 year" or temporary teacher contracts. Meaning they technically need to be rehired every year. While most are, they have little or no "tenure" protection. I'm sure experience has its perks in classroom and influence, but not as the title "tenure" often implies. Heck, even if they have a job there is a question of if their salary will actually be funded.

So yes, we do have a shortage of teachers in Oklahoma. Precisely because it is NOT a stable industry. Not only is it impacted by the economy (tax revenue), but also the State & Federal governments. Sadly, this means school districts see teachers not retained, hiring freezes, reduction of benefits, reduction to part time status, and tons of other things that discourage people. My wife was a teacher in another state because she liked the field and appreciated that it wouldn't make her rich, but would be a stable job with solid benefits and a wage that would at least keep up with inflation. Sadly, that deal wasn't really on the table in Oklahoma so she moved to a different field.

Oklahoma teacher layoffs, emergency certifications create paradox
Months after cutting more than 200 teacher positions due to state budget reductions, Oklahoma City Public Schools requested nearly as many emergency teacher certificates to fill vacancies across the district.

Schools in Tulsa, Midwest City and Norman have also cut teacher positions while seeking noncertified teachers to fill vacancies the following school year.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage...cle_e34edde7-d210-5ac0-b0d6-96167648d2ba.html

Tulsa's Lee Elementary School: Making the Most of Less
http://www.tulsakids.com/December-2012/Tulsas-Lee-Elementary-School-Making-the-Most-of-Less/

Layoffs Underway At Tulsa Public Schools
http://www.newson6.com/story/31618332/layoffs-underway-at-tulsa-public-schools

As a receiver, he is athletic enough, fast enough, and big enough to possibly excel...If
he has any wishes to continue football after college, or to more fully participate in our
games, it seems logical for him to give it a try....

I guess that's why we talk about it.....
“More fully participate in our games”... he’s competing for the starting quarterback job. I think he’s okay with where he’s at.

More fully participate in our games”... he’s competing for the starting quarterback job. I think
he’s okay with where he’s at.
"On the other hand" as Tavia would have said in "Fiddler"", you and I both know where that
is going to end up......With him on the bench.....He throws knucklers, sliders, downers, and
just plain wild ones.....Sadly, he isn't playing baseball......He may have a wonderful skill set,
(at another position), but you (and others) seem to have a bias against him ever finding out!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT