ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa wins Friday

Enjoy Fuentes while you can- he's all but gone at Memphis.
You sure about that? He isn't going to take a P5 job just because it's P5. He has to really find it special. Our boosters and FedEx have already made it clear they will match any offer.

Fuente leaves if it feels right to him and he really likes what the school offers. P.S. South Carolina isn't getting him. He isn't going to risk career suicide at that job and the expectation they will have in just year 1.

You sure about that? He isn't going to take a P5 job just because it's P5. He has to really find it special. Our boosters and FedEx have already made it clear they will match any offer.

Fuente leaves if it feels right to him and he really likes what the school offers. P.S. South Carolina isn't getting him. He isn't going to risk career suicide at that job and the expectation they will have in just year 1.
Wishful thinking Tiger Pride, they all leave for the mountain top. Whether it's Memphis or Tulsa we're at the same level. Fuente is not going to stay at Memphis when thr "iron" is hot just because you are under the illusion of good ole tiger pride. Memphis can't pay 5-6 million a year ... Enjoy your run then go find another good coach who can recruit just like Justin.

I don't think Fuente leaves for South Carolina...but USC is a different story. Maryland is a dead end job as well. Stoops doesn't go anywhere. The biggest domino IF it falls will be Texas...I don't expect Fuente to get mentioned with that job but there will be several other dominoes to fall after that if it does go down and that is where Fuente comes in.

And I have been calling for a Tulsa win in this game since the summer. This is the one surprise I think we have in us this year. Of course that was before our best player got hurt and was out for the season. Weather predicts rain and that might help us as well.

Generally speaking, rain and a wet field favors the best running/mobile QB. I'm not sure that would be us under those conditions.

Well you guys seem sure we will not pay up so you got that going for you. We will see what happens. Mountain top isn't always better for your style of coaching

Well you guys seem sure we will not pay up so you got that going for you. We will see what happens. Mountain top isn't always better for your style of coaching
Memphis can handle a million bump up in salary, but not that 4-6 million per year plateau. Memphis and Tulsa have had similar football history in the past, periods of good successful football...then along comes the drought. It's is all about recruiting players with character and talent. Character lends itself to the players staying in school and out of trouble and the talent to win . Memphis has more talent this year.

Lou Holtz once was invited to Graceland and got to hang with Elvis when NC State played Memphis in the '73 Liberty Bowl. Odd that Elvis wouldn't invite the Memphis head coach instead?

Id like to see Fuente stay @ Memphis.

Memphis has crazy boosters plus if the Big 12 expands Memphis will be its first choice.

Looking forward to Friday.

Lou Holtz once was invited to Graceland and got to hang with Elvis when NC State played Memphis in the '73 Liberty Bowl. Odd that Elvis wouldn't invite the Memphis head coach instead?

Memphis has never played in the Liberty Bowl. Kansas was NC State's opponent in '73. However, I have no knowledge as to Elvis ever inviting the Memphis head coach to Graceland otherwise.

You didnt really need an invite by that time. He was long past fame. You could just call the guardhouse and ask to visit. Which is probably what Holtz did or a local booster set it up. It wouldn't surprise me if Elvis himself made the call. He was a big fan of the Cleveland Browns and even drew up plays for them. He never called the owner and head coach during the game like Nixon did with the Redskins, but he probably thought about. He had season tickets for the old WFL Memphis Southmen.

One of my most treasured possessions is a picture of him, Linda Thompson, and me on the front steps. I was 7 years old. We were driving through and my father called from downtown and asked if it would be OK to take a picture of my mom and me on the steps. My parents didnt even ask if he was there or anything. He came out as we were taking pictures unannounced.

#coolstorybro

Memphis is not going to be the Big XII's first choice...probably 3rd. BYU is everyone's 1st choice but those crazy polygamists want to be the LDS version of Notre Dame. BYU's next choice is probably the PAC-12.

Seriously...I don't think anything is happening for several years unless the networks throw GOBS of $ at a conference to add a team or two.

You didnt really need an invite by that time. He was long past fame. You could just call the guardhouse and ask to visit. Which is probably what Holtz did or a local booster set it up. It wouldn't surprise me if Elvis himself made the call. He was a big fan of the Cleveland Browns and even drew up plays for them. He never called the owner and head coach during the game like Nixon did with the Redskins, but he probably thought about. He had season tickets for the old WFL Memphis Southmen.

One of my most treasured possessions is a picture of him, Linda Thompson, and me on the front steps. I was 7 years old. We were driving through and my father called from downtown and asked if it would be OK to take a picture of my mom and me on the steps. My parents didnt even ask if he was there or anything. He came out as we were taking pictures unannounced.

#coolstorybro

That's awesome! Elvis had become more reclusive in '73, but he definitely wasn't past his prime. He didn't give up on life until '76 and '77, so you got to see him at a good time!! I would give my left arm to have been around and able to shake his hand and say "thanks for giving me happiness through music".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT