ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa talent of yesteryear and now

Tu Geo

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2003
When I see ex Tulsa players Shaq, De Quan and Jordan playing every night in the NBA along with guys from Houston, SMU, Cincy, UCONN and Wichita State playing at the next level it reminds me how good of players you have to have to compete in the AAC. As always in this part of the woods the focus is always on the B-12 players but I dare say that the guard performance of that league at the next level probably doesn't meet the disproportionate media attention.

Haith and other Tulsa coaches of yesteryear challenge is huge to recruit the kind of player for us to be successful. To say Tulsa hasn't had talent is just wrong.

The AAC is an elite players league and winning the conference is a huge accomplishment.

Let's hope the guys he has brought in this year have the talent we need to be successful.

My other hope is that at the local and state level the media appreciates the level of play in our league.

Maybe it's not quite on the level of the B-12 but it's damn close.

GO TU!!!!

Last edited:
Sure but it is clearly not good enough when you miss the ncaa tourney 5 years straight. That of the coaching is inept. Or both.

I think there are certainly coaches out there who could have had some of our teams from the last 6 years legitimate threats in the tournament.

I think there are certainly coaches out there who could have had some of our teams from the last 6 years legitimate threats in the tournament.
Which says more about the state of the program than the coach or the players.

Where the TU transfers ended up is a pretty morbid reflection on the program’s talent level.

Perhaps the incoming crop is better. Chapman? We’ll see...

Not currently optimistic, but hopeful...because I love TU.

Reactions: drboobay
The AAC has certainly had it's share of good players.....The B-12 probably has more depth
to its talent pool, especially the top four or five teams....Some of those teams can go 7 or
8 deep without a significant drop-off......

Self and Kansas has dominated the B-12 (last season being the exception) with a combination
of good coaching and excellent personnel....They always seemed to have two of the three top
Bigs in the Conf., plus good PGs....

The fact that Baylor won it all this past season was no accident....They were very dominating,
using a strong, very quick defense, and showing an extraordinary willingness to share the
ball.....

It would really surprise me, and many on this board, if the portal doesn't widen the gap even
more between the so called "sixth major" conferences and the big 5 schools.....

You wonder if the whole "portal" situation was more a matter of pressure put on the NCAA by
the Big 5 conferences, than being a thoughtful solution to anything.....It will surely be tweaked
in the years ahead, especially if there are as many young men that chose the portal as there
seems to be, ending up with no place to play.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT