ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa struggling to find consistency on both sides of the ball - story linked

There needs to be an open competition for qb in 18. If we think the 2 qbs from this year will lead us to wins, we are kidding ourselves. We need a thrower and he needs to play in 18. Forget this run pass option thing.

CP was a 4 star recruit with p5 offers. Are the recruiting services that wrong, or is he not being coached correctly.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Luke Skipper has the skills to be a special QB. He is improving and will only continue to do so. In order for him to look like a superstar we need better receivers and/or coaching for that position. My evidence of that this year is the lack of being able to get open when Luke extends plays with his feet. He does a good of that but our receivers don't know how to create space and work to get open. I've witnessed it many times.

Luke Skipper has the skills to be a special QB. He is improving and will only continue to do so. In order for him to look like a superstar we need better receivers and/or coaching for that position. My evidence of that this year is the lack of being able to get open when Luke extends plays with his feet. He does a good of that but our receivers don't know how to create space and work to get open. I've witnessed it many times.
Good receivers come back to the ball when the play is extended. Should be elementary because it is elementary.

I think the offense has potential. The defense on the other hand needs a complete overhaul starting with the coaches first! After the way OU lite up the Aggies, osu might have another opening for a defensive coordinator at seasons end. Maybe we could shuffle Young back to them!

Reactions: TUGrad06
At least football is over and we have basketball now.

I think he was more of a 4* recruit as an athlete.

He wanted to play QB.
Correct. He was recruited by most scholars as an athlete, including Baylor. On the basis of those P5 offers, he was rated a 4star. I am not aware of any school that recruited him as a QB other than Tulsa. It's not difficult to connect the dots that promises were made that he would be given every chance to play QB if he chose Tulsa over other options. I would expect we are going down the path of Florida, Auburn, and Florida State in the early 00's where promises are made to athletes trying to hit the jackpot at the QB position and what ends up is a rotating QB situation between the low rated passing athlete who is constantly shuffled in and out with two or three other QBs that otherwise wouldn't get offers to go to that school, but no other legit QBs are attracted to the school because of the athlete is "the guy" at that program for the next 2 to 5 years. In turn, this hurts the ability of the school to recruit a credible wide receiving corps. Makes you wonder if Ruder asked for similar assurances and he went elsewhere when the staff refused to give it because of the commitment to President.

Florida still hasnt recovered from Tebow at both the QB and WR positions. And now they are flirting with Franks and a cast of pretty good high school QBs with good football brains.

Auburn finally got Stidham, but their backup kicker is their leading receiver.

Florida State is an endless loop of this situation, whether the athletes are Rix, Xavier Lee, Manuel, Franklin, or Francois. When they've signed a legit QB, they are unstoppable. (Weinke, Winston).

So don't expect any change at the QB situation for the next three years. The only question will be whether either QB develops into a better version of what we have already seen. The bigger long term upside appears to be with Skipper, but i don't think he will ever develop the arm strength to hit those long shots. The best you are going to see from him is early throws in the 20 to 30 yard range. Whether that is enough to make the down safety stay honest is the million dollar question. The offense can work without the deep throw if he can improve his RPO execution. That just means snaps in practice that he didnt get until the wheels fell off at Tulane.

President has shown no progress that I can discern some coming onto campus. What you see is what you get. An incomplete product with tantalizing possibilities.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
11 weeks into the season and still trying to find consistency....dam....will we be saying the same 11 weeks into basketball...dam...

Nuke something...please...dam........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT