ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa population growth

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Nobody's talking about this, but there are some interesting population trends coming from the American Community Survey, which estimates population outside of the census years.

Tulsa County and Tulsa MSA have continued to see growth through 2021. City of Tulsa, however, seems to have lost a bit of population as of July 2021 (and I think in 2020 as well). I know we did lose WPX during that period which would negatively impact population (and we are looking at a lagging indicator), but this does suggest a bit of concern, but IMO not alarm. Thoughts?

Too much suburban relocation? Too many newcomers choosing Bixby and BA? In the long run this trend would erode the tax base but is this a trend or a blip? What would turn it around?

On the other hand clear growth ongoing for okc through mid 2021..

OKC's city limits extend far out past what most cities do and certainly farther out than Tulsa. Thus their population growth is akin to suburban growth. In other words their new growth would be the equivalent of an Owasso or Bixby growth in the Tulsa area. The Tulsa metro area sustained excellent growth last year which is really the key to the local economy. The city of Tulsa has an excellent tax base of fine to extremely nice neighborhoods that will/should sustain the city for decades. Most large American cities are landlocked by their surrounding suburbs and can only grow with increase density. That was common place during the last decade across the US, however it appears that trend maybe slowing down.

OKC's city limits extend far out past what most cities do and certainly farther out than Tulsa. Thus their population growth is akin to suburban growth. In other words their new growth would be the equivalent of an Owasso or Bixby growth in the Tulsa area. The Tulsa metro area sustained excellent growth last year which is really the key to the local economy. The city of Tulsa has an excellent tax base of fine to extremely nice neighborhoods that will/should sustain the city for decades. Most large American cities are landlocked by their surrounding suburbs and can only grow with increase density. That was common place during the last decade across the US, however it appears that trend maybe slowing down.
I realize that the area of okc is enormous. And I am not alarmed.

Worth monitoring though considering the county versus city economic trends.

I realize that the area of okc is enormous. And I am not alarmed.

Worth monitoring though considering the county versus city economic trends.
If Carson's vision of Tulsa gets any traction, I suspect there will be increased demand for the higher end Tulsa neighborhoods. Actually might be a good time to invest in property in Brookside or Utica Square area or wherever the young and hip kids like to live these days if you have some extra $$ burning a hole in your pocket. High risk, high reward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT