ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 Recruiting Tulsa picks up QB commitment, loses DE commit

Lubbock vs. Tulsa... that kid's priorities are messed up.
Seriously, I am no longer understanding of the lure to play at a lower level P5. Sure the kid gets to say he plays against OU and Texas every year but that also means losing to those schools EVERY YEAR. There's no hope of winning a conference championship at places like Tech and Kansas. That divide will only get greater in years to come I suspect. And because every game of every team is on TV somewhere, there's no fear of not getting enough exposure for the NFL (seriously, the NFL will find the players who can play). In the Big XII, OU and Texas are the only 2 teams who have a legit shot at the conference title every year. OSU will have their chances every 2-3 years, and after that no one else has a realistic shot at a conference title with any regularity. WVa w/o Holgersen is pretty much nothing more than Baylor now. Baylor with Briles hasn't been the same (although I think Ruhle had them in position to be great the next 2-3 seasons). KState will be good but they're not consistent enough to be great every year. Tech has been a big ball of meh since Leach has been gone with a couple of good seasons. KU is just all sorts of awful. I'd say the same for any of the local kids wanting to go to Arkansas to play in the SEC. They legit have ZERO chance to win the SEC West as long as Saban is around. Players have a better chance of making a NY6 bowl game with us than they do going to a lower level P5, especially if we can continue to build and maintain (and there's the challenge with a place like this and not paying even AAC market prices for coaches and coordinators.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Seriously, I am no longer understanding of the lure to play at a lower level P5. Sure the kid gets to say he plays against OU and Texas every year but that also means losing to those schools EVERY YEAR. There's no hope of winning a conference championship at places like Tech and Kansas. That divide will only get greater in years to come I suspect. And because every game of every team is on TV somewhere, there's no fear of not getting enough exposure for the NFL (seriously, the NFL will find the players who can play). In the Big XII, OU and Texas are the only 2 teams who have a legit shot at the conference title every year. OSU will have their chances every 2-3 years, and after that no one else has a realistic shot at a conference title with any regularity. WVa w/o Holgersen is pretty much nothing more than Baylor now. Baylor with Briles hasn't been the same (although I think Ruhle had them in position to be great the next 2-3 seasons). KState will be good but they're not consistent enough to be great every year. Tech has been a big ball of meh since Leach has been gone with a couple of good seasons. KU is just all sorts of awful. I'd say the same for any of the local kids wanting to go to Arkansas to play in the SEC. They legit have ZERO chance to win the SEC West as long as Saban is around. Players have a better chance of making a NY6 bowl game with us than they do going to a lower level P5, especially if we can continue to build and maintain (and there's the challenge with a place like this and not paying even AAC market prices for coaches and coordinators.
It's not just the football program that I'm talking about. Lubbock is just a dump compared to Tulsa. I hope he likes duststorms and std's... lol

One good thing about Lubbock was the 59-20 beating we put on them in 83. I think Mike Gunter and Steve Gage are still running free down the sidelines

Reactions: HuffyCane
Haboob is the west Texas name for the dust storms they get. I thought someone was kidding when they told me so I had to look it up. Curious little word
It's even funnier to say with an Indian accent. It originated out of Arabic languages.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I wasn't around in '83 and TBH, may not have even known Tulsa was an actual place (I was 11, in MA). But weren't Gage and Gunter known as the Palomino Express as a play on SMU's Pony Express?
Correct.

I wasn't around in '83 and TBH, may not have even known Tulsa was an actual place (I was 11, in MA). But weren't Gage and Gunter known as the Palomino Express as a play on SMU's Pony Express?
No the Palomino Express was Mike Gunter and Ken Lacy on the 80-82 teams. Both were running backs and had short stints in the NFL. Mike was with the Colts (I think) and Ken was with KC. Mike was on the 83 team and Steve Gage was QB (played DB for the Redskins). Gage took over as QB (option guy mainly) his Freshmen year in 83 after Skip Ast graduated.

Micheal Gunter and Ken Lacy were the Palomino Express.

Quite right. I read it quickly. Gage was part of the Redskins when they won the ‘88 Super Bowl.

Fun fact: He had little or no future in the pros as an undersized option QB. A couple of pro scouts, not the Redskins, I can’t remember which teams, were at a TU game to scout players on the other team. Maybe OU, I don’t remember. Gage threw an interception, ran the defender down from behind and made such a good tackle that the scouts remarked to themselves that he might have a pro future as a safety and emergency QB. One of them told Coach Morton or his staff about that conversation and he was eventually drafted as a DB by the Redskins.

We forget about Steve too often when we talk about great TU QBs. He’s still in Tulsa. I see him at games every once in awhile. Just a regular guy now. And that’s pretty cool.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
A great running QB with deceptive speed. Now, if only he could have thrown it......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT