ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 Recruiting Tulsa gets commit from 6-3 transfer guard

No complaints here. May be our best player.

At least as good of a shooter as Ritchie. Likely an improvement. Wish we'd of kept Ritchie though. Both of them on the court at the same time would have been a major improvement. Rachal, Griffin, Ritchie, Jackson, and a point guard would have been a dynamite small ball lineup.

At least as good of a shooter as Ritchie. Likely an improvement. Wish we'd of kept Ritchie though. Both of them on the court at the same time would have been a major improvement. Rachal, Griffin, Ritchie, Jackson, and a point guard would have been a dynamite small ball lineup.
I liked Ritchie but he never hit his shooting stride

Richie shot 35.5 from deep for us. That’s better than Horne did in the conference championship season. (~34%). The reason Richie didn’t play wasn’t his shooting stride.

Richie shot 35.5 from deep for us. That’s better than Horne did in the conference championship season. (~34%). The reason Richie didn’t play wasn’t his shooting stride.
Agree. Ritchie seemed incinsistant

I noticed that James Woodard, Shaq Harrison, Rashad Ray and Rashad Smith all shot WAY more three-pointers in Haith's first season than they did in the season prior under Manning.

Woodard and Harrison's averages dipped a percent or two (Woodard from 38 to 37 percent), but they shot a ton more. Ray and Smith's percentages went up significantly: Smith 20 to 26, Ray 28 to 35. But the overall team percentage was only 32.1 percent.

The season prior under Manning wasn't much better at 32.7 percent. In Haith's second season, when they made the NCAA tournament, the team 3-point percentage was just 32.6. Last years team that tied for the AAC title was just 32.2 percent.

Frank's best 3-pt shooting teams at TU:

2016-17: 34.3 percent -- Etou and Taplin both over 40%
2017-18: 34.8 percent -- 6 players shot between 35 and 39%
2018-19: 34.0 percent -- 4 players between 34 and 39%

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
I noticed that James Woodard, Shaq Harrison, Rashad Ray and Rashad Smith all shot WAY more three-pointers in Haith's first season than they did in the season prior under Manning.

Woodard and Harrison's averages dipped a percent or two (Woodard from 38 to 37 percent), but they shot a ton more. Ray and Smith's percentages went up significantly: Smith 20 to 26, Ray 28 to 35. But the overall team percentage was only 32.1 percent.

The season prior under Manning wasn't much better at 32.7 percent. In Haith's second season, when they made the NCAA tournament, the team 3-point percentage was just 32.6. Last years team that tied for the AAC title was just 32.2 percent.

Frank's best 3-pt shooting teams at TU:

2016-17: 34.3 percent -- Etou and Taplin both over 40%
2017-18: 34.8 percent -- 6 players shot between 35 and 39%
2018-19: 34.0 percent -- 4 players between 34 and 39%
Overall, the 3PA went DOWN in Haith’s first season. 17.7 under Manning vs 17.2 attempts under Haith.

Haith lost Peete and Lew Evans who both shot a significant amount (though Lew was a poor shooter). And he didn’t play Stevie Reps who had an impressive 2.4 3PA per game in just 7 mpg and he made them at a .36 clip. Instead, Haith played Curtis a lot who couldn’t (didn’t) shoot from distance at nearly the same rate as those 3 guys when they combined. So the extra shots went to the starters.
(Haith’s first year was also a short rotation season because he didn’t play his freshmen, he didn’t play Reps or BigE, and he redshirted Edogi)

Haith basically lost a 4 year senior (Peete) and a high minute utility guy (Evans) and replaced them with absolutely no one in the rotation and then shrunk his rotation down even farther because he didn’t trust Stevie (which was fair) and he wanted to waste a redshirt on TK.

Last edited:
Reactions: URedskin54
Seems like we lost a couple shooters so a different group of players absorbed those outside shots. Lew Evans and Pat Swilling took a combined 223 three's in Manning's last year. The shots had to go somewhere. What's the analysis supposed to tell us?

It doesn’t tell me much other than Haith has had one hell of a bad time recruiting shooters.

What's the analysis supposed to tell us?
It doesn’t tell me much other than Haith has had one hell of a bad time recruiting shooters.
Sorry, wasn't really a complete thought...I posted a more complete analysis in the Three-Point Shooting thread in Hurricane Alley. I had been looking at 3-point percentages at TU under different coaches. It's been since Wojcik's last season that TU has shot a really strong percentage from deep overall.

Reactions: astonmartin708
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT