ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Football Summer Position Analysis: Safeties

At safety for Tulsa, the injury bug wiped out the seasons of Jordan Mitchell and Manny Bunch, which significantly hampered the pass defense in 2017.

https://tulsa.rivals.com/news/tulsa-football-summer-position-analysis-safeties

Thanks Larry for another great article. I had forgotten about all the injuries with our defense until your articles. We should be much better this year, especially in the secondary and LB.

I’m still concerned about the DL but not as much as I was. Hopefully our youngsters that got lots of playing time due to injury, along with the jucos and the return of our injured, should give us a much better overall defense.

If we can get much improved QB play, we could surprise. By keeping the offense on the field longer, our defense should give up less points and turn those close loss s into wins.

I’ve got to go put my helmet and pads on so I’ll be ready for the 1st game.

Thanks, Bill. I really think last year was an aberration. I would be shocked up TU doesn't get at least 6 wins. QB play will be better. Defense isn't likely to have a those injuries.

Hey Larry, I don't remember seeing it in the CB article anywhere, but did coach mention Ben Sutton from Blinn CC at all? Seems like he would be in the mix as well, but I don't know if he made it to campus.

Hey Larry, I don't remember seeing it in the CB article anywhere, but did coach mention Ben Sutton from Blinn CC at all? Seems like he would be in the mix as well, but I don't know if he made it to campus.
He didn’t have the academics to transfer in right away. He needs another year of juco. I don’t know what’s in the water down there but two other highly rated players from Blinn didn’t end up at D1 schools when all was said and done either.

Thanks Larry for another great article. I had forgotten about all the injuries with our defense until your articles. We should be much better this year, especially in the secondary and LB.

I’m still concerned about the DL but not as much as I was. Hopefully our youngsters that got lots of playing time due to injury, along with the jucos and the return of our injured, should give us a much better overall defense.

If we can get much improved QB play, we could surprise. By keeping the offense on the field longer, our defense should give up less points and turn those close loss s into wins.

I’ve got to go put my helmet and pads on so I’ll be ready for the 1st game.
The irony is that if the D improves, the offense might get LESS time on the field - while the 1 play 75 yard TD drive isn’t optimal, it does help the O get more work...

With as bad as we were on both sides last year, the O put pressure on the D and the D put pressure on the O and neither could handle it. You hope that it might be a 1+1=4 thing, if they both improve moderately it helps everyone and has bigger results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT