ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Football Article Written By Barry Friedman

TUMU

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Last weekend, I read the article in the current edition of The Tulsa Voice. Barry's not a proponent for the future of Tulsa football.
The title of the article is, Ego and Denial on 11th Street. A couple of anonymous, Tulsa professors were very critical of the football program in the article.

Last edited:
Last weekend, I read the article in the current edition of The Tulsa Voice. Barry's not a proponent for the future of Tulsa football.
The title of the article is, Ego and Denial on 11th Street. A couple of anonymous, Tulsa professors were very critical of the football program in the article.
Focuses on all the negatives, not even bringing in all the positives to weigh the equation. And those professors would probably be grumbling about athletics even if it were a financial positive on the net at TU.

Reactions: eastcane
Barry seems to go to a lot of Tulsa basketball though, and without football, there would be no Memphis, SMU, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple and so on trekking through 11th Street for men's hoops every season. Barry attacked the sport itself in that piece, comparing football to boxing as sports that are in stages of declining relevance because of their savagery.

Last edited:
I’ve been telling you guys about how much athletics (specifically football) is hated by a large number of faculty... it’s mind-boggling, but then again, the faculty at TU (for the most part) are incredibly entitled and nearly impossible to please.

Reactions: bigstar18
I just found the article and read it... wow. Talk about bending information to fit a narrative. But you also have to look at the publication - not exactly a well respected news source, but rather a medium used to stir the pot on any issue that can even be remotely controversial. Regardless, it’s still disappointing to see our home town hating on us so much. You can also bet that some professors, angry about one thing or another, reached out and initiated this hatchet job by this douche Barry.

Barry seems to go to a lot of Tulsa basketball though, and without football, there would be no Memphis, SMU, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple and so on trekking through 11th Street for men's hoops every season. Barry attacked the sport itself in that piece, comparing football to boxing as sports that are in stages of declining relevance because of their savagery.

That’s why every bar shows every UFC fight and theatres were showing the Canelo fight...

It’s not savagery causing football to decline...

This Friedman puke is an alleged comedian(@ his lefty cocktail parties he's a riot: "hey Barry, give us 5 minutes on Trump, har,har,har!) & author(his Mama bought several copies of his books). Not surprised about his hatchet job on TU football & it wasn't a bit funny!

This guy is taking an extremely narrow view of what he thinks Tulsa is (while Tulsa is some of the things he says, there is much more to the city than that). I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that an angry professor went to him and put this into motion. You can tell by the comments under the fb post about the article that there are indeed a couple of professors that are patting themselves on the back for this little :crap:-stain on paper.

There have always been loser professors at every university. Most aren't losers, but this guy clearly is. There are always people against athletics in academia. Especially football. They don't have a clue. Best not to pay any attention to them.

There have always been loser professors at every university. Most aren't losers, but this guy clearly is. There are always people against athletics in academia. Especially football. They don't have a clue. Best not to pay any attention to them.

It would be nice to do, but these people are the ones educating our kids.

There’s no telling what other kinds of leftist crap they are pawning off as educational enlightenment.

Reactions: HuffyCane and GOB10
This is why I am done with Gragg as an AD the man's job is public relations and he has no skill it at it. None.

Also what kind of drive by journalism is going on at the Tulsa World? The piece has nothing in it but Largents history, his comments, vague references to financial troubles, name dropping Sittler, and a reference to the Voice story.

Is this what passes as journalism there? I knew it was bad but wth?

Anyone who uses Sittler as a University of Tulsa reference is clueless to start with about the school. I miss Trammel

When it rains, it pours. I’ll never understand the appeal of trashing TU (and no matter how they disguise it, it’s trashing TU in one way or another) by the local media. It seems that There are some people in Tulsa that hate TU more than any rival we could ever have.

This is why I am done with Gragg as an AD the man's job is public relations and he has no skill it at it. None.

Also what kind of drive by journalism is going on at the Tulsa World? The piece has nothing in it but Largents history, his comments, vague references to financial troubles, name dropping Sittler, and a reference to the Voice story.

Anyone who uses Sittler as a University of Tulsa reference is clueless to start with about the school. I miss Trammel

I know we had a little spat the other day, but you are 100% correct on this. [cheers]

That’s why every bar shows every UFC fight and theatres were showing the Canelo fight...

It’s not savagery causing football to decline...
TV ratings for UFC have literally never been lower, for whatever reason.

Certainly the NFL ratings from this year make clear that a big part of the problem is that many games are just boring. The changes to protect players has had the additional effect of jacking up offense which has probably been a big part of the increase in NFL ratings in a lot of time slots. And the games that have low ratings are boring. Entertainment needs to be entertaining. Give TU credit for making real efforts this year on that front.

Reactions: TU4ever2 and GOB10

The Tulsa World is a shell of what it used to be . The Sunday is half filler .

Reactions: TU_BLA
I don't read it. But my news feed brings me all kinds of TU and AAC stuff, which is how I found it.

This basically amounted to a transcribed bar conversation or a sports talk show, where one of the participants has some experience. It's not even a story it just wanders around a subject going hmm....

I hate that attitude.

First it's not true.

Second it pits two groups who are on the same side.

We were built first for the people who had no school.

Then in Tulsa we thrived because local benefactors wanted to ensure local kids and local talent could stay home and get a great education.

It still does that.

The community built the school and the school built the community.

The OurCity campaign shouldn't even have to happen, we shouldn't have to claim what's ours already.

The University of Tulsa takes local kids and gives them a chance to shine at the highest levels of academics and athletics and to do it with their hometown across their chest.

But the attitude quoted or vice versa has the two groups who should be most in step tripping over each other.

The University is part of the city and the city is part of the University. You can not make one better with out making the other better also. You can not make one less with out also making the other less.

City of Tulsa had done little for TU
TU has done a ton for the City

I hate that attitude.

First it's not true.

Second it pits two groups who are on the same side.

We were built first for the people who had no school.

Then in Tulsa we thrived because local benefactors wanted to ensure local kids and local talent could stay home and get a great education.

It still does that.

The community built the school and the school built the community.

The OurCity campaign shouldn't even have to happen, we shouldn't have to claim what's ours already.

The University of Tulsa takes local kids and gives them a chance to shine at the highest levels of academics and athletics and to do it with their hometown across their chest.

But the attitude quoted or vice versa has the two groups who should be most in step tripping over each other.

The University is part of the city and the city is part of the University. You can not make one better with out making the other better also. You can not make one less with out also making the other less.

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT