ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa 1970s promotional video

Bikini car wash - ooh la la

And bonus points to anyone who remembers the location of the 20th Century Electric Company.
Between 41st and 51st just west of Mingo IIRC!

In 78 there may have been a fight at that location, some people may have slipped out before the police arrived, those people may have chosen not to return for a year or so, but that was a long time ago ; )

I think that was Sherman Johnson on the carry for TU.
Correct. Likely the 1978 Kansas State game, which we won 24-14. We went 9-2. Wow the talent on that team. Sherman, both BB and Coach Rader, Paul Johns, Rickey Watts I could go on and on. Great team. One of the first TU teams I vividly remember.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Sadly, many of these places are long gone. The Williams Center Forum and ice skating, and even Utica National Bank (absorbed into F&M bank) who put together the video are long gone.

Correct. Likely the 1978 Kansas State game, which we won 24-14. We went 9-2. Wow the talent on that team. Sherman, both BB and Coach Rader, Paul Johns, Rickey Watts I could go on and on. Great team. One of the first TU teams I vividly remember.
Doug Panfil, Mike Gladson, Lovie Smith, Don Blackmon, Jerry Taylor, Bob Laird, Denver Johnson, Derrell Blackwood, the Purifoy brothers, Robert Tennon, Kyle Phillips, Reno Hutchins, etc... I don’t think Paul Johns came until the spring of 79 from Juco.

A trivia question: who was the OC from that team that is back on the current staff (has been since the last part of the Graham era) and is director of scouting?

Reactions: HuffyCane
Thanks for posting this video. Awesome memories. Agreed...very snazzy football uniforms.

Doug Panfil, Mike Gladson, Lovie Smith, Don Blackmon, Jerry Taylor, Bob Laird, Denver Johnson, Derrell Blackwood, the Purifoy brothers, Robert Tennon, Kyle Phillips, Reno Hutchins, etc... I don’t think Paul Johns came until the spring of 79 from Juco.

A trivia question: who was the OC from that team that is back on the current staff (has been since the last part of the Graham era) and is director of scouting?
Well, Coach Ososkie is the director of scouting but I didn’t realize he was on the staff back then. A lot of our guys get a chance at the pros they wouldn’t have gotten without him and his network.

Tom Ososkie.

Wasn't this done to try and keep the oil companies from moving to Houston? I sure do miss Crystal's Pizza, at least I can fly to Dencer for Casa Bonita :)

Some things I miss more than others. Those would include Shotgun Sam’s, Bell’s, 20th Century, Roughnecks soccer. I don’t miss the horsemeat enchiladas at Casa Bonita.

Reactions: HuffyCane
TU Pom-Pom (as the Tribune picker called him), good ol' Jerry Weber on the sideline in the background.

E7246E32-D959-4A0B-A3EA-AF1583B90268_zpspgij7sah.jpeg
closer examination of the video reveals Huffy was part of the cheerleading uniforms.

Last edited:
On 46th west of Mingo Road?
That is correct! They had the classic disco dance floor with multiple colored squares that lit up independently and the spinning disco ball. We loved rock n roll and hated disco, but the girls were there, so we’d be there!

Reactions: Tu Geo
Thanks for posting TU78! For a person who just turned 60, that is a flood of old memories. I forgot about the ice skating rink, surrounded by multi level shopping and restaurants in the Williams Center Forum. We had out of state relatives who always wanted to ice skate and have a lunch there on their visits to Tulsa. Crystals, Zingo, Roughnecks, late 70s TU, raft races, etc., so many great memories! I even saw people I knew, including family members.

The City of Tulsa was booming back then. I would assume this video was part of Tulsa’s efforts to get people to move here from the rust belt. With the oil boom, we had more jobs than people and were recruiting engineers, finance and marketing people to fill our jobs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT