ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane game thread

AP’s passing is pretty good tonight. Wish he was this good dribbling and defending. Have we stopped feeding Selebangue?

In a zone now? With a huge, unguarded, uncontested gap at the high post?

Defense cannot stop Tulane. Haith’s zone didn’t stop them last year either.97-63.

Probably don’t want to use this video to teach defense to young players.

Turnovers and Potns off Turnovers is the stat of this game. Tulsa has 17 of them and Tulane has 18 points off those turnovers
Why can't we play good fundamental basketball? Do basic things that give you a chance to compete?

Again we wilt and lose by an embarrassing margin

Turnovers and Potns off Turnovers is the stat of this game. Tulsa has 17 of them and Tulane has 18 points off those turnovers
Glad you pointed that out, we lose by 16 and they have 18 points off turnovers. It may sound strange when we’re losing big but we’re not that far off from being a lot better. Control the turnovers, move the ball better on offense and play a little D and we would look like a different team.

Reactions: loca2874
But the idea is to score more than your opponent and we have no clue how to stop the other team
Yeah I know what the idea of a game is but every team in the conference is better than we are. We have been getting shutdown on offense. So if your looking for a lot of wins then your looking at the wrong team. Baby steps

Yeah I know what the idea of a game is but every team in the conference is better than we are. We have been getting shutdown on offense. So if your looking for a lot of wins then your looking at the wrong team. Baby steps
It’s not that I am expecting a lot of wins but I am at least expecting a division 1 basketball team that doesn’t turnover the basketball numerous times a game and give the opponent numerous points off of turnovers. We can thank Frank for every team in the conference being better than we are. Defense wins games and that is where we are taking baby steps

Reactions: drboobay
It’s not that I am expecting a lot of wins but I am at least expecting a division 1 basketball team that doesn’t turnover the basketball numerous times a game and give the opponent numerous points off of turnovers. We can thank Frank for every team in the conference being better than we are. Defense wins games and that is where we are taking baby steps
Hard to take joy in baby steps and concede we won't win but 5 or 6 games total. Seriously. Hard to take.

But I get it intellectually. Seriously though this season cannot end soon enough for me.

Hard to take joy in baby steps and concede we won't win but 5 or 6 games total. Seriously. Hard to take.

But I get it intellectually. Seriously though this season cannot end soon enough for me.
I think the real season begins when the basketball portal opens for next season

Reactions: drboobay
Why can't we play good fundamental basketball? Do basic things that give you a chance to compete?

Again we wilt and lose by an embarrassing margin
We didn’t recruit players with basic basketball skills. Just terrible recruiting by the previous staff. It looks like Konkol is better ( He found Selebangue) but the Houston Freshmen are coming around so slowly. November signees look good but we only see the highlights. They don’t post videos of ball handling and defense.

Glad you pointed that out, we lose by 16 and they have 18 points off turnovers. It may sound strange when we’re losing big but we’re not that far off from being a lot better. Control the turnovers, move the ball better on offense and play a little D and we would look like a different team.
Throw in dribbling straight, and you've got the kitchen sink.

We didn’t recruit players with basic basketball skills. Just terrible recruiting by the previous staff. It looks like Konkol is better ( He found Selebangue) but the Houston Freshmen are coming around so slowly. November signees look good but we only see the highlights. They don’t post videos of ball handling and defense.
The rest of the team is playing so poorly, it is hard to see any real progress out of the freshman. They don't really have an arena to showcase improvements or lack thereof.

When I saw the roster this fall I knew we were in trouble... bunch of border line D1 players like I was...you can't force taller strength or speed...and nobody coming back had done anything even Griffin who scored 80 percent of his points last year after the game was decided

Reactions: dougheffking
When I saw the roster this fall I knew we were in trouble... bunch of border line D1 players like I was...you can't force taller strength or speed...and nobody coming back had done anything even Griffin who scored 80 percent of his points last year after the game was decided
Amen. Konkol will have a true offseason this year to remake the roster and really upgrade the talent. It will be MUCH more enjoyable going forward starting next season. I know Konkol isn't Sampson, but let's remember that his first season in Houston he was something like 11-20 (close to that).

We didn’t recruit players with basic basketball skills. November signees look good but we only see the highlights. They don’t post videos of ball handling and defense.
Defensive ability can be a tough eval even when you're not just watching highlights. I've seen ~30 full games combined of the 3 recruits from this year and even then I don't have a great feel for how that part of their game will translate at this level. Hall, for example, is now almost exclusively guarding the opposing center, who's often 6-4 with concrete in his shoes. It's not even in the same stratosphere of what he'll be asked to do once he gets here.

Reactions: I.I.
Defensive ability can be a tough eval even when you're not just watching highlights. I've seen ~30 full games combined of the 3 recruits from this year and even then I don't have a great feel for how that part of their game will translate at this level. Hall, for example, is now almost exclusively guarding the opposing center, who's often 6-4 with concrete in his shoes. It's not even in the same stratosphere of what he'll be asked to do once he gets here.
Would love to hear your video evaluation of the recruits. I know it’s sometimes tough when they go against weak or smaller competition. Obviously Rebounding , ball handling, passing and defense are crucial with rim protection thrown in. Scoring is a given need.

Reactions: ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT