ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane Game moved

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Now on Thursday, Nov. 19th, 6:30pm kick. ESPN.

ESPN talking heads like our team right now. They gush about our defense and they really like Zaven Collins. Gillespie and Co. should strike while the iron is hot on defensive recruits.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

ESPN talking heads like our team right now. They gush about our defense and they really like Zaven Collins. Gillespie and Co. should strike while the iron is hot on defensive recruits.
We should strike while the iron is hot on Gillespie... I bet we lose him after this season.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000

They need more than talent, they need stars ...

We should strike while the iron is hot on Gillespie... I bet we lose him after this season.
We might lose the entire staff, not just Gillespie. I am assuming that Montgomery will take the first offer out of here. He might even lobby for an offer.

Reactions: loca2874
We might lose the entire staff, not just Gillespie. I am assuming that Montgomery will take the first offer out of here. He might even lobby for an offer.
Yes, our team is good this year but it’s in spite of Montgomery. Gillespie is the full reason our team is good, so honestly if Montgomery were to leave it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Gillespie to be hired as the head coach. We could then keep Coach Fletcher and put him at DC. We’d maintain our core defense and then could hire an OC more competent than Montgomery. The worst possible thing we could do is give Montgomery another long extension. He has a proven history of being unable to recruit QB’s and receivers. This season is a fluke where he is getting bailed out by a former P5 QB and a top 15 defense.

Yes, our team is good this year but it’s in spite of Montgomery. Gillespie is the full reason our team is good, so honestly if Montgomery were to leave it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Gillespie to be hired as the head coach. We could then keep Coach Fletcher and put him at DC. We’d maintain our core defense and then could hire an OC more competent than Montgomery. The worst possible thing we could do is give Montgomery another long extension. He has a proven history of being unable to recruit QB’s and receivers. This season is a fluke where he is getting bailed out by a former P5 QB and a top 15 defense.
We can only hope.

I don’t think he’ll get one but Gillespie will be poached.

I remember reading on here one time that Monty may win himself out of a job. I hope that’s the case. That the kids win but that a change is still made. HuffyCane seems to have great insight into the pulse of the program. Huffy, I would be interested in what you think may happen. I honestly believe that the new AD told Monty that he had to offer Owen O. I think he told him that Jerry O is too important to this town and this school and this team to not offer his son who has more than earned that offer. No way does the controlling Monty do it on his own as Jerry O may have seen him for the crappy High School Coach that he really is. Gragg let Monty do as he wanted no matter how it reflected on the program. Made him believe he was untouchable. Those days are over .....

Thanks for the kind words. My ear on the pulse of the program comes and goes and it depends largely on the issue of the day. I don’t have a lot of insight into the actual lockerroom and I don’t have a lot of exposure to the day to day stuff as far as the actual team. Because I frankly don’t care. I tend to focus on issues that are global in nature and can have an effect on the football team five, ten or twenty years from now. So I focus on Collins Hall and Case Center issues, not Skelly Field. I read a lot of books about the offense and defense being run by the school at the time because it gives you a heightened enjoyment and understanding on game day, but mostly I’m interested in how coaching choices affect the school’s long term success and you can’t evaluate a program (or help safeguard it) unless you fully grasp the opportunities and threats an offense or defensive systems poses for how you run your program. I started doing that under Rader and later Stubbs. Now there’s a lot of free stuff on the internet.

So I don’t know anything about Owen. I do know that coaches have recruiting targets and they are typically prioritized or pooled. When I saw that Owen was offered, my first thoughts were on what I had posted a few days before. And that’s that is the academies offer a lot of guys who can’t actually go because they can’t pass the physicals or make the math grades or other issues. My second thought was “who did we lose out on that Owen moved up the list to get the offer?” And finally did he play himself into the offer? He’s having a great season. Maybe he just earned it and didn’t need a new AD to get it. We will probably never know. It’s pure speculation but I would imagine not offering caused some friction on 11th. I’ll let Jerry speak for himself if he wants to, but if I’m working for a losing program and I see a coach not offering a talented local player with the closest ties to the program possible, then I wonder if I’m working with guys willing to do everything to improve the product on and off the field. Those types of decisions affect the performance of everyone in the organization and I suppose it’s plausible, but I think unlikely, that RD stepped in and said make the offer. I certainly hope we don’t have administrators making player decisions.

It’s a new era and I’d rather focus on the future. I’m sure RD feels the same way. But priorities change when leadership changes. And I would agree with you that it is likely that the tolerance for a Vanderbilt-esque 4-6 season, always covering the spread, and graduating as many as you can is over.

RD played football here. He will expect to win.

Like him or not, Monty has done a nice job on offense these last two games. Where these plays were against OSU I have no idea. Still get the head scratchers of run run pass, but at least hes mixed it up some. Still want someone else who will give play calling duties to an actual oc, but am happy the offense has been improved somewhat

I’m just not a fan playing Tulane 5 days after we play the Smoo. Just seems too short of a time.
We aren’t getting any breaks from the conference and TV that’s for sure. Somebody somewhere said we are the only school since we entered the AAC that hadn’t had back to back conference games at home until this year. No idea if that’s true because I haven’t looked yet, but if so that’s just as crappy as having to play both Florida schools on the road in the same year. In our case, the Tulane game really isn’t much different than this game coming up. USF ended at 11:30pm. The flight landed at around 5am. So up all night after the guys had just finished playing a game. Sunday is toast except for maybe a brief team meeting. That gives you four days to get ready, plus a Friday morning walk through. It’s basically the same with Tulane. And I think the coaches will tell you they’d rather deal with the short week at home and have 9 days to prep Houston on the road, then the same arrangement with any other conference for. I’m just glad its not SMU on the short week. We play them, then a short week hosting a struggling Tulane. It could be worse.

Last edited:
Where these plays were against OSU I have no idea.
We are finding out that OSU's defense is really really good. We'll see how good come Saturday when they line up against Texas. OSU's secondary is pretty strong and we know Ehlinger has happy feet and will run before he's had 3 seconds to evaluate what's going on down field. I think Texas will be lucky to score 20 pts in this. I also think Texas doesn't have a chance in hell to contain Wallace and Hubbard. My prediction: OSU 34 TX 17

Thanks for the kind words. My ear on the pulse of the program comes and goes and it depends largely on the issue of the day. I don’t have a lot of insight into the actual lockerroom and I don’t have a lot of exposure to the day to day stuff as far as the actual team. Because I frankly don’t care. I tend to focus on issues that are global in nature and can have an effect on the football team five, ten or twenty years from now. So I focus on Collins Hall and Case Center issues, not Skelly Field. I read a lot of books about the offense and defense being run by the school at the time because it gives you a heightened enjoyment and understanding on game day, but mostly I’m interested in how coaching choices affect the school’s long term success and you can’t evaluate a program (or help safeguard it) unless you fully grasp the opportunities and threats an offense or defensive systems poses for how you run your program. I started doing that under Rader and later Stubbs. Now there’s a lot of free stuff on the internet.

So I don’t know anything about Owen. I do know that coaches have recruiting targets and they are typically prioritized or pooled. When I saw that Owen was offered, my first thoughts were on what I had posted a few days before. And that’s that is the academies offer a lot of guys who can’t actually go because they can’t pass the physicals or make the math grades or other issues. My second thought was “who did we lose out on that Owen moved up the list to get the offer?” And finally did he play himself into the offer? He’s having a great season. Maybe he just earned it and didn’t need a new AD to get it. We will probably never know. It’s pure speculation but I would imagine not offering caused some friction on 11th. I’ll let Jerry speak for himself if he wants to, but if I’m working for a losing program and I see a coach not offering a talented local player with the closest ties to the program possible, then I wonder if I’m working with guys willing to do everything to improve the product on and off the field. Those types of decisions affect the performance of everyone in the organization and I suppose it’s plausible, but I think unlikely, that RD stepped in and said make the offer. I certainly hope we don’t have administrators making player decisions.

It’s a new era and I’d rather focus on the future. I’m sure RD feels the same way. But priorities change when leadership changes. And I would agree with you that it is likely that the tolerance for a Vanderbilt-esque 4-6 season, always covering the spread, and graduating as many as you can is over.

RD played football here. He will expect to win.
who is ur candidate if monty and gillispie is gone next year

Graham's going to cost 1-1.2 Million in buyout if we want to get him back... and his current salary is 800K next season but it's also loaded with a ton of incentives, many of which aren't too hard to get for a coach like him (and Hawaii having a bowl in their own backyard)

We are finding out that OSU's defense is really really good. We'll see how good come Saturday when they line up against Texas. OSU's secondary is pretty strong and we know Ehlinger has happy feet and will run before he's had 3 seconds to evaluate what's going on down field. I think Texas will be lucky to score 20 pts in this. I also think Texas doesn't have a chance in hell to contain Wallace and Hubbard. My prediction: OSU 34 TX 17
I still dont think their defense is all that great honestly. They havent really faced a big offensive team yet. And I dont think Texas is any different. Iowa st is alright I guess. But even if they are good, it wasnt that their defense shut down our big plays, it was that we didnt run any plays to get the offense in a groove. It's like it for every big non conference game it seems. We play super vanilla like we are saving things for conference

Reactions: HuffyCane
Too early to speculate. We will have a new President and AD by then. I don’t think Graham is a good match now. Different Prez. Different AD. Different era. He can’t go home again. No matter how much family he has in town.

Reactions: Sbellini
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT