ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane +5

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Honestly, a couple more points than I expected. Tulane isn't a bad matchup for us. They're not a great 3-point shooting team (7th in conference play) and they're almost exclusively man-to-man.

They won 9 in a row after an opening loss to Wake, but half of those were SWAC or MEAC games. The win over Miss St looks less impressive after they lost to McNeese, USC Upstate, and Arkansas State. Their best win is clearly the win at Memphis, thanks largely to their 12 steals and rebounding 45% of their misses (18 offensive rebounds).

That said, they're a better team than ECU and I did think TU looked a little worn out on Saturday. Need to just survive this one and build the conference lead as much as possible before the brutal back half of the schedule hits.

Originally posted by ctt8410:
Honestly, a couple more points than I expected. Tulane isn't a bad matchup for us. They're not a great 3-point shooting team (7th in conference play) and they're almost exclusively man-to-man.

They won 9 in a row after an opening loss to Wake, but half of those were SWAC or MEAC games. The win over Miss St looks less impressive after they lost to McNeese, USC Upstate, and Arkansas State. Their best win is clearly the win at Memphis, thanks largely to their 12 steals and rebounding 45% of their misses (18 offensive rebounds).

That said, they're a better team than ECU and I did think TU looked a little worn out on Saturday. Need to just survive this one and build the conference lead as much as possible before the brutal back half of the schedule hits.
Tulsa will have some advantages inside in this one. Smith will be the best interior player on the floor. I agree with you though, it's survive and move on tomorrow night. We have to win to keep this thing going. If we can get this one, we can catch our breath and take care of USF Saturday.

Originally posted by youngblood223:

If we can get this one, we can catch our breath and take care of USF Saturday.
Yep, after tonight USF in the only game in a 9-day span.

As an addendum, while they're not a great shooting team overall, both Dabney and Hook have the ability to repeat Whisnant's performance from Saturday.

As an addendum, while they're not a great shooting team overall, both Dabney and Hook have the ability to repeat Whisnant's performance from Saturday.
It seems there have been a lot of players we have played against that have really shot above average against us. Not sure if it's defense, motivation or both.

However, we do play Saturday vs. USF, next Thursday at Houston, and then back here vs. SMU on the 7th. So we play 3 games in a week.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:

It seems there have been a lot of players we have played against that have really shot above average against us. Not sure if it's defense, motivation or both.
People keep saying that. But in conference, we are third in both FG% defense and 3pt% defense.

And bc stats are fun, we are WAY out in 1st on turnover margin (+5.14) and third in FT% at 70.4%.

This post was edited on 1/27 1:32 PM by TUBballJunkie

Sagarin has Tulsa favored by 4.3.

GO TU!!!

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

I'm feeling pretty decent about this game on paper.

But that's why we play 'em.
I felt really good about the ECU game too and proceeded to have anxiety and BP issues the entire afternoon :)

See, that one felt weird. 11am games are just weird, especially when you have to travel.

ECU is the 3pt snipers too, which can certainly be our nemesis.

I just noticed Tulane's PPG is skewed by 3OT vs Houston.

Without that game they average 61.1 pts/game in conference.

I know Tulane is better than ECU, but I have more confidence pre game Tulane than pre game ECU. I think we were reminded at ECU that we can't afford to play a half without defensive intensity, like we did in the first half at ECU. I think/hope we did learn that.

Now that we are playing for something, I'm nervous for every game!

Under wojo I had the luxury of not caring most of the time. :p

Dabney and Hook can nail the three. And hit 80% from the line. These two are to Tulane as Harrison and Woodard are to Tulsa.

Right or wrong the team will be more focused as there is more respect for Tulane than last Saturday's opponent. IMO

This post was edited on 1/27 3:36 PM by TU Hurricane Warning

Originally posted by JesseTU:
Now that we are playing for something, I'm nervous for every game!

Under wojo I had the luxury of not caring most of the time. :p
I was thinking the same thing....

Its like the old days.... I actually care again because each game means something.

@Tulane (tonight) is the hardest of the easy games left on the schedule....

The remaining games with UConn, Temple, Memphis, Cincinnati, SMU are the "hard" games. There are six of these left.

If we could hold serve on the "easy" and split the six hard, ( with at least a split of SMU) we should be close to the #1 seed.

Good luck tonight guys!!

This post was edited on 1/27 4:39 PM by Tulsa_

It's going take lots of active rebounding and quick hands on defense. We cant count on our outside shooting a lick. Need some easy buckets tonight.

Tulane will be licking their chops and are probably still pissed about losing to Memphis over the weekend.

This is toughest road test since Temple. And Juice really just got hot from outside in that game. Would love to see that again, otherwise it'll be tough :-/
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
See, that one felt weird. 11am games are just weird, especially when you have to travel.

ECU is the 3pt snipers too, which can certainly be our nemesis.
Survived on the road against a home team that made 12 three's not bad Junkie.

On to New Orleans and hopefully another road win at Tulane.

GO TU!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT