ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby takes a huge hit

yikes. I'm not sure why Tubby doesn't just resign now rather than go through a miserable under 500 season. I read the comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal before the Markel announcement. Brutal and massive threats to drop season tickets.

If Uconn can't stop the bleeding, we might have to admit VCU.
UCONN needs to get rid of Ollie...there is way too much talent on that team to be as bad as they were this year. Yeah, there were injuries, but SMU had just as many injuries, kids who quit, and scholarship limitations and other then Ojeleye, UCONN and SMU probably have fairly equal talent. Outside of the year he won the nat'l championship w/ Calhoun's players (notably Kemba Walker who single handedly won that championship), Ollie's teams have been pretty unremarkable and under-performing. I know it would be a tough thing for UCONN to do, bringing in Calhoun's hand-picked replacement who's an all-time great alum of the school/program and then having to admit it really didn't work (which is the only reason I think he is still there...one more season).

Part of me has a great deal of schadenfreude, watching Memphis fail after their fans were arrogant jerks for years feels nice.

Part of me cringes for the league.

Memphis, Uconn, Tulsa, Wichita State, Houston, Cinci, Temple and even SMU. So much basketball potential. Most seem to be spinning their wheels for the time being (us included). I want Memphis fans to be in pain because Tulsa has grown to be better than Memphis, not because Memphis' program caught fire, fell from the sky, landed in the dumpster, set it on fire, and then someone closed the lid and forgot it was there.

agree, difficult and a bit sad for Tubby, but not Memphis fans.

SMU fans are now behaving like Memphis fans, without any reason or tradition to do so.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Of all the options in our conference, Memphis fans don't bother me much. They've pretty much always been an outsider too, have had to earn it. None of this complaining about glory days of the Big East or Big 8.

Plus their band and dance team is just too good.

I thought they were pleasant overall when Memphis was in Tulsa for the first rounds.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Of all the options in our conference, Memphis fans don't bother me much. They've pretty much always been an outsider too, have had to earn it. None of this complaining about glory days of the Big East or Big 8.

Plus their band and dance team is just too good.

I thought they were pleasant overall when Memphis was in Tulsa for the first rounds.

I like them, but they had some real asshat fans when I went to the tournaments there. Even the ushers were kind of homers and rude. They even booed Garrett Mills when he was introduced for the Liberty Bowl.

And their administration and the Commercial Appeal did some wrong things over the years. They tried to block us out of the Liberty Bowl the first year we went. Their old AD had no respect for us, which made the game where we knocked Deangelo Williams out of bounds to win all he sweeter. The Commercial Appeal ran the same article bashing C-USA every year they had the tournament.

It's a fun town and no school has perfect fans. But those experiences are hard to forget. I'm enjoying watching their demise, but I hope it's short.

I remember the disdain over CUSA coming to the BOK and then the arrogance of the Memphis fans who seemed to request we bow down as they walked by. That was why the huge cheer went up when UH upset them.
Memphis regarded CUSA as the Snow White with more than 7 dwarfs (but of course, they were right about that).

Memphis deserves the implosion that is happening right now. I got so sick and tired of them coming over here and giving us history lessons on Memphis basketball as if anyone cared, as if TU had no tradition. Then there was that sleaze Cal and how he and Memphis was able to cheat themselves to a championship appearance. Since he's been gone Memphis has come back down to earth and now the sky is falling and I'm loving it! Where's the Memphis basketball historians now?

and in today's surprise, Tubby gives an interview with the Commercial Appeal and says everything is sunshine and roses and the future is ahead. I admire Tubby but I was shaking my head at this article. At least Wojick knew to say "it is what it is."

Last edited:
and in today's surprise, Tubby gives an interview with the Commercial Appeal and says everything is sunshine and roses and the future is ahead. I admire Tubby but I was shaking my head at this article. At least Wojick new to say "it is what it is."

Maybe he's right. He's won everywhere he's been. What makes you think he can't recruit good kids to Memphis?

After seeing the parting words one of the Lawson kids had for Tubby, it makes me think that despite their talent maybe those boys were toxic.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I don't think this is all because Tubby demoted him. If Tubby had the team moving in the right direction and the Lawson's were confident in most of the players coming in next year, I'm willing to bet the demotion would have been tolerated.

Lawson Sr. went on the radio and said that's exactly why. GP straight up asked him "If Memphis kept you on as an Asst Coach would your boys still be playing there?" his answer was 'yes, of course'

then KJ is quoted on social media saying "F**K TUBBY!"

yeah, that's a toxic situation and Tubby has to clean house...he won't tolerate pimp fathers and kids who lack discipline

he's putting a nice class together too...
tubby%20class_zpsw3ortovo.jpg

Tubby signed Kyvon Davenport yesterday but the AAC offices are closed for Easter so it won't be 'official' until Monday morning.
http://247sports.com/player/kyvon-davenport-46036420

Last edited:
Lawson went on the radio and said that's exactly why. GP asked him "If Memphis kept you on as an Asst Coach would your boys still be playing there?" his answer was 'yes, of course'

then KJ is quoted on social media saying "F**K TUBBY!"

yeah, that's a toxic situation and Tubby has to clean house...he won't tolerate pimp fathers and kids who lack discipline

he's putting a nice class together too...
tubby%20class_zpsw3ortovo.jpg

Tubby signed Kyvon Davenport yesterday but the AAC offices are closed for Easter so it won't be 'official' until Monday morning.
http://247sports.com/player/kyvon-davenport-46036420
What a POS daddy Lawson is. Hope that class can salvage next season. Wanting you to field a decent team over the next few years. So you have 4 open slots left?

What a POS daddy Lawson is. Hope that class can salvage next season. Wanting you to field a decent team over the next few years. So you have 4 open slots left?

correct.

we have an offer out to JuCo All-American Chris Darrington...it's down to TN and Memphis (he visited his 'hometown team' Toledo as well but it's a two team race)

if he says 'no' we will offer Clayton Hughes out of Jackson TN...he visited this weekend, and made it clear that if we offer, he'll take it. (he had to go prep school even though he signed with UCF in 2016)

http://247sports.com/Player/Clayton-Hughes-71802

Tubby took the high road and gave the Lawsons unconditional releases and publicly wished them well after everything came out...instead of talking, Tubby and Joe Esposito went out and recruited their tails off these past two weeks.

Last edited:
It's going to be real interesting in Lawrence. Self doesn't take that type of Shi# off of anyone. My guess is that at least one of those boys never makes it past the year they have to sit, and t if daddy is the same d-bag behavior that it will be a royal Shi# Show and both will be looking for a new school or declaring for the draft.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I wish Tubby great success, except when they play TU!!!

much appreciated...I'm hoping Tulsa gets the next AAC tourney as the BOK center is in easy range of strong hoops fan bases alike Tulsa, WSU, SMU, and Memphis...that alone should insure a successful tourney.

Reactions: TU Sepp and Gold*
As fans go, I've got no complaints with the Memphis people. The football people have always been well behaved when they have visited Skelly. I remember the talk about a few a$$hats at the BOK center, but speaking as someone who has 20 years experience getting a little too drunk at bowl games and tourney dates, they deserve the same forgiveness I do. When you start comparing them to Hawaii or UCF fans pissing on visiting Texas fans or Volunteers shooting guns over people's heads, there really are no complaints. Memphis gets treated like dirt by the rest of Tennessee. They were good at basketball. Other than the logistical miracle of their airport, there really isn't much going on there. I would expect them to tell us about their team when they were good. They shouldn't expect me to cry when they aren't. That said, it looks like Tubby is doing to Memphis what Kragthorpe did to Louisville. Weeding out all non-hackers, non-students, non-rule followers. Good for him. It will turn out better than Coach K, I am sure. And if it doesnt, no biggie. No man walked this Earth with more dignity.

He has to be a better coach than Pastner. Good for him for cleaning house. Those fools won't last through the season at Kansas. I actually like the Memphis fans. I am not bothered by talking :crap: as long as it is creative and in good spirit. If you are throwing piss bags, well that changes things.

He has to be a better coach than Pastner. Good for him for cleaning house. Those fools won't last through the season at Kansas. I actually like the Memphis fans. I am not bothered by talking :crap: as long as it is creative and in good spirit. If you are throwing piss bags, well that changes things.

That one guy wouldn't shut up when we were there. You told him Cal was going to Kentucky and he got butt hurt. He asked why and you made the money sign with your hands. Wish we could find that guy.

Pastner may have learned from the Memphis experience. Coached-up a Georgia Tech team with very marginal talent that many didn't think would win any ACC games. They had some nice wins and made a deep run in the NIT.

We going way back to the Valley days with Memphis, I remember when they entered the Valley and the rivalry was on...

Tubby may have a lot of Memphis fans ( & some on this board) eating their words in a year or 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT