ADVERTISEMENT

Tubbs

RIP Billy. The return with TCU was fun. He was a character. Who else sets themselves up to be booed by their home town for the rest of their career?

RIP Billy. The return with TCU was fun. He was a character. Who else sets themselves up to be booed by their home town for the rest of their career?
And he loved every minute of it.... Quite the fireball personality coach Tubbs possessed and displayed quite effectively. RIP coach...

Tubbs loved to ire the fans of the opposing team. It just made more fans show up for the game. Whether the fans loved him or booed him, he loved for his teams to play before packed houses!

Reactions: TU 1978
I was there for the “Regardless how bad the officiating is” incident. Easily in the top 10 most precious sports moments in my life.

Reactions: TU Sepp and TU 1978
I was there for the “Regardless how bad the officiating is” incident. Easily in the top 10 most precious sports moments in my life.
I wasn't there for that one...I don't even remember it happening. I was there when Billy Tubbs was forced to return to the Tulsa Convention Center to play TU after vowing never to bring a team back there. It was hilarious when the PA system played the "Welcome Back Kotter" theme song.

We should start a thread on the most outrageous moments you witnessed in person at a sporting event. Mine would have to be Jose Canseco challenging a fan in Boston to a fight in RF. Canseco took his glove and hat off and laid them on the ground and he sort of did the Matrix hand gesture of "bring it". Fan jumps onto the field and before he makes it 3 steps he gets tackled by 2 Boston PD and Canseco just laughs hysterically at the guy.

Somebody did a dance mix of that on YouTube. It is outstanding.

Ok, I’ve got one. It must have been ‘77 or ‘78. I was about 14 or 15 and hanging out with my buddies near the top of the west side of Skelly stadium. We were playing West Texas, not sure how I remember that.

Anyway we watched a guy, he would have been called a hippie back then, climb the fence at the top of the stadium then swing over to a light pole and climb it to the roof of the press box. It looked like he chased a bunch of pigeons off the roof then climbed back down all the way to the street below.

A few minutes later we see the same guy running on to the field. He grabs the football while the teams are in the huddle and almost makes it to the steps at the SE corner where he’s tackled by several of Tulsa’s finest.

You don’t see stuff like that anymore.

I was at Shea Stadium for the return of John Rocker after the SI interview. At that time they served beer in plastic bottles. I guess they thought they would save the vendors from pouring from a can and carrying the empties around. When Rocker came into the game, someone threw one of those bottles at him. It looked to be full too, which could've done some damage.
Rocker was having some control problems. When Robin Ventura swung and missed on a neck high 3-2 pitch, the Mets fan sitting next to me went absolutely crazy.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Ok, I’ve got one. It must have been ‘77 or ‘78. I was about 14 or 15 and hanging out with my buddies near the top of the west side of Skelly stadium. We were playing West Texas, not sure how I remember that.

Anyway we watched a guy, he would have been called a hippie back then, climb the fence at the top of the stadium then swing over to a light pole and climb it to the roof of the press box. It looked like he chased a bunch of pigeons off the roof then climbed back down all the way to the street below.

A few minutes later we see the same guy running on to the field. He grabs the football while the teams are in the huddle and almost makes it to the steps at the SE corner where he’s tackled by several of Tulsa’s finest.

You don’t see stuff like that anymore.
I’m surprised he wasn’t naked except for sandals. Lol

TU played that game Nov 4, 1978 and won 44-23.

So in the last game TCU was in the WAC with us, we played them in the 1/4s of the WAC tournament at the Reynold's Center. My friend and I had all session passes and our tickets were about 6 rows behind what is usually TU's bench. TCU is using that bench and struggling mightily against whoever they were playing. Towards the end of the game, my friend and I start serenading Billy with an improv'd ditty. The TCU players were laughing and we did manage to get Billy to turn around and "ask" us to "shut the f*ck up please".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT