ADVERTISEMENT

Tu Women Wichita State Thread

WSU is having foul trouble. Good.

WSU has some bigs playing at the top of their zone. It is creating some problems for us. I like the way Bittle hustles to get us points, rebounds and steals.

Reactions: TU 1978
Bad 3rd quarter for us. Down 7. Freshmen Perryman missed 4 FTs, we are cold from the three and WSU is scoring inside. Good news is Levings and transfer PG are both playing.

Reactions: TU_BLA
We are within 1 with a little over 5 left in the game.

We have the lead. Poindexter making shots and grabbing rebounds.

65 - 59 with 2:10 left. Poindexter picks up her 4th foul. Mayberry and Young hitting 3s

Announcer says that Wichita State is getting the Top Dog coming to their arena in South Florida. With this win TU is now in first place and has a better overall percentage.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Announcer says that Wichita State is getting the Top Dog coming to their arena in South Florida. With this win TU is now in first place and has a better overall percentage.
USF is good and they are the league favorite but I hope at seasons end TU is the top dog.

Reactions: TU 1978
They are not the team they were last year. very beatable. January 25th. Tulsa vs South Florida
All of their losses are to top 25 teams including a 2 point loss at tOSU. They have 2 wins over top 25 teams including Texas and Arkansas (team that beat us). They will be a good measuring stick.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Three of the four players who had not been suiting up, apparently because of injuries, saw limited action Wednesday. Only Evans was still out.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU 1978
They are not the team they were last year. very beatable. January 25th. Tulsa vs South Florida
So USF's overall win % may not be as high as TU's but make no mistake, USF's non-con schedule was easily the toughest in the conference. USF has played Alabama, TCU, Michigan, Villanova, Texas, NC State, Ohio State , and Arkansas. At least 3 of those teams are currently ranked and I would guess Texas and maybe Arkansas were ranked when they played them. Ohio State is currently ranked #3 in the country and USF lost by 2 in OT to them. They beat Alabama, TCU, Texas, and Arkansas. They have not lost a game to anyone you would have expected them to beat and even in the losses to the ranked teams, they've had a chance to win in the last 2-3 minutes of each of them. USF is very good. That said, TU had USF on the ropes in Tampa last year and just couldn't finish the game out. I think TU is better suited to deal with things this year BUT they need to be better on the defensive glass and we tend to have too many unforced turnovers in stretches of games. Last night, we had some poor stretches in the 2nd quarter and almost the entire 3rd quarter where we struggled to stop Wichita State and couldn't score (bad shooting and turnovers). Of course the 4th quarter may have been our best quarter all season in both aspects and occurred when the team needed it most. We need to get some players back from injury to help with depth because if any of our current starters gets in foul trouble, especially Bittle or Poindexter, we're in a lot of trouble.

So USF's overall win % may not be as high as TU's but make no mistake, USF's non-con schedule was easily the toughest in the conference. USF has played Alabama, TCU, Michigan, Villanova, Texas, NC State, Ohio State , and Arkansas. At least 3 of those teams are currently ranked and I would guess Texas and maybe Arkansas were ranked when they played them. Ohio State is currently ranked #3 in the country and USF lost by 2 in OT to them. They beat Alabama, TCU, Texas, and Arkansas. They have not lost a game to anyone you would have expected them to beat and even in the losses to the ranked teams, they've had a chance to win in the last 2-3 minutes of each of them. USF is very good. That said, TU had USF on the ropes in Tampa last year and just couldn't finish the game out. I think TU is better suited to deal with things this year BUT they need to be better on the defensive glass and we tend to have too many unforced turnovers in stretches of games. Last night, we had some poor stretches in the 2nd quarter and almost the entire 3rd quarter where we struggled to stop Wichita State and couldn't score (bad shooting and turnovers). Of course the 4th quarter may have been our best quarter all season in both aspects and occurred when the team needed it most. We need to get some players back from injury to help with depth because if any of our current starters gets in foul trouble, especially Bittle or Poindexter, we're in a lot of trouble.
In the last couple of games we have played poor in a couple of quarters. We could have beat Arkansas as well as we closed the gap and actually took the lead in them and I only lost by 9. A couple of those wins were on a neutral court. That said when TU played LBS on a neutral court we were ran out of the gym. They played Kansas tough until the middle of the 3rd quarter and it was all over at that point. We had them close last year in Tampa as you stated and even though they do have a tough schedule they haven’t been as dominant as they were last year. This TH team is much improved from last year and has faced a tougher schedule so far. They come to the Reynolds center so they need to be ready and not have those weird streaks. I still say it’s winnable. Will they? I don’t know but I think it is.

Maybe I am looking at it wrong. I’m not the foremost expert in women’s basketball but to me and only me, USF does not look as good as last year and TU looks better than Last year.

In the last couple of games we have played poor in a couple of quarters. We could have beat Arkansas as well as we closed the gap and actually took the lead in them and I only lost by 9. A couple of those wins were on a neutral court. That said when TU played LBS on a neutral court we were ran out of the gym. They played Kansas tough until the middle of the 3rd quarter and it was all over at that point. We had them close last year in Tampa as you stated and even though they do have a tough schedule they haven’t been as dominant as they were last year. This TH team is much improved from last year and has faced a tougher schedule so far. They come to the Reynolds center so they need to be ready and not have those weird streaks. I still say it’s winnable. Will they? I don’t know but I think it is.
I 100% agree we can win the game, but we can't have quarters like we tend to do where we get run out of the gym. USF is too good to let us back in like Kanas was. I think USF is as good or better than Kansas and better coached. Their coach is really good, makes great adjustments on the fly, etc. They've got tough players and they've got some size and depth. Size is what still gives us issues. We are getting bigger and better in the middle but we still need that game changing post presence who can defend the post and rebound. Poindexter is at best a 4 but she likes to play more like a 3. We have extremely active hands on defense but that can also bite you in the a$$ if you've got whistle happy refs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT