ADVERTISEMENT

TU Women’s Golf Wins 2022 Barbara Nicklaus Championship

I’d love to see the women’s team play like they did when the Nancy Lopez-led teams won championships under Dale McNamara.
I was able to play a few holes with McNamara in Sands Springs (goat hill course) while in college.

I also watched Lopez, Baker, Rosenthal and other former TU players at an LPGA event at the DuPont Country Club in the late 80’s. I even got Nancy’s signature on my wife’s hat. I gave it to her dad, who, like me, was a big fan of hers.

The women really gave Tulsa University some great publicity in those days and were fun to watch. I still remember the huge crowds following Lopez the days I attended. What a great woman and ambassador for TU.

I’d love to see the women’s team play like they did when the Nancy Lopez-led teams won championships under Dale McNamara.
I was able to play a few holes with McNamara in Sands Springs (goat hill course) while in college.

I also watched Lopez, Baker, Rosenthal and other former TU players at an LPGA event at the DuPont Country Club in the late 80’s. I even got Nancy’s signature on my wife’s hat. I gave it to her dad, who, like me, was a big fan of hers.

The women really gave Tulsa University some great publicity in those days and were fun to watch. I still remember the huge crowds following Lopez the days I attended. What a great woman and ambassador for TU.
If you haven’t seen it about a month or so ago the Golf Channel did a special on Title XIX and women’s golf. Coach Dale, Melissa McNamara (now HC at Auburn), Nancy and Tulsa were featured.

TU wins by 7 strokes over Maryland. TCU, Ohio St (hosts), ND, Colorado, Furman and others among teams competing. Congratulations Lady Hurricane!
Pretty solid field. I know the women won a couple tournaments out there and looks like the new (last 3 years) coach has really re-stocked the program which had been down since Melissa McNamara up and left for Arizona State. Melissa was the HC when I was the RD of Twin and a few of her athletes, including Stacy P, lived there so Melissa and I had several conversations (she hooked me up with some PING gear too). I was disappointed when she left because I felt she could have continued to take the program to the highest levels like her mom.

Glad to see they are back to being a solid program with the potential for NCAA bids and perhaps more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT