ADVERTISEMENT

TU vs Boston College and TU vs Duke

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Watching old video. The rosters dwarf what we have now. Ruffin , Maldonado together blocking Duke shots inside and Rod Thompson and Gendron outside. Eric Coley and Shea Seals on the team didn’t hurt either.

Watching old video. The rosters dwarf what we have now. Ruffin , Maldonado together blocking Duke shots inside and Rod Thompson and Gendron outside. Eric Coley and Shea Seals on the team didn’t hurt either.
That was Boston University that we played in the NCAA tournament (5 seed TU vs #12 BU...and if I remember correctly, we beat them by 31 or so).

We did play BC in the Puerto Rico tournament in November 1999 and hammered them pretty good. I think that tournament was the one where we all knew the 1999-2000 team was special and more than just pretty good.

Exactly. Anyone who is putting ANY blame on Konkol for this season needs their head examined. This offseason will allow him to REALLY recruit over the current roster and get us on upward trend.

Exactly. Anyone who is putting ANY blame on Konkol for this season needs their head examined. This offseason will allow him to REALLY recruit over the current roster and get us on upward trend.
Funny...this post came about the same time JR Rollo was on the Blitz proclaiming that the future for TU basketball is looking bright.

What all did he say?
I only caught the end...start of a new semester here and it's crazy so my paying full attention to the interview was in and out. Basically said to the effect you can see the improvement, you can see the recruits he's engaging and getting to commit and he's rebuilding the right way instead of the 1 year immediate fix which may make fans immediately happy but lacks in long term stability.

I only caught the end...start of a new semester here and it's crazy so my paying full attention to the interview was in and out. Basically said to the effect you can see the improvement, you can see the recruits he's engaging and getting to commit and he's rebuilding the right way instead of the 1 year immediate fix which may make fans immediately happy but lacks in long term stability.
So, basically calling out the clowns who blame Konkol for this year. Good stuff.

Reactions: rusty-c and TU 1978
That was Boston University that we played in the NCAA tournament (5 seed TU vs #12 BU...and if I remember correctly, we beat them by 31 or so).

We did play BC in the Puerto Rico tournament in November 1999 and hammered them pretty good. I think that tournament was the one where we all knew the 1999-2000 team was special and more than just pretty good.
Yep, when they beat #20 Tennessee to win that tournament and remain undefeated the excitement went through the roof.

Reactions: drboobay
Yep, when they beat #20 Tennessee to win that tournament and remain undefeated the excitement went through the roof.
I believe that was around Christmas because I was overseas for Y2K and heard about it after the fact.

I was pulling into my driveway as that game ended and ran inside to tell my wife(gf at the time) that TU was going to be really freaking fun that year!
I went to the Final Four in Indianapolis that year and just missed watching Tulsa. I did buy a Tulsa hat—I think they made souvenirs for all the teams in the Elite Eight.

It was a great time but would have been much better if Tulsa were there. After watching the four teams, I think we were at least as good as those four.

This was the TU NIT pre season game with Duke. We had 8 players better than anyone on our roster except a couple. Robinson was already looking at other jobs and Self was encouraging him to leave TU. ;)

I watched the Tulsa Memphis game from 2020 (the 80-40 beatdown!) the other day. We know that even that was a flawed team, but here was the roster:

-Brandon Rachal
-Martins Igbanu
-Jeriah Horne
-Elijah Joiner
-Darien Jackson
-Lawson Korita
-Isaiah Hill
-Reggie Jones

Those first five, in some form or fashion, became really solid contributors and made that team cohesive. A 20-win season, while it isn't what it used to be, is still a sign of a solid squad. That 2020 team finished 21-10.

The degradation in talent, even in three years, is astounding. We'd kill to have any of these guys back. This isn't an indictment of any of the guys on our current roster, either. The pandemic, plus Haith being asleep at the wheel his last two years put us here. Unfortunately we only have a few guys on this year's team who would've seen minutes in 2020, even with a short bench. The talent is coming - we just have to be patient.

I was just looking at the stats of the three seasons leading into Y2K (1997/8, 1988/9, & 1989/2000)...
The overall stats thru 6 positions were amazing....Everyone scored, everyone rebounded,
and everyone defended.....Little wonder we were so hard to beat....

Do we have a chance to get back there? I think we have a chance to reach a high level of
play IF we complete this ('23) recruiting class the way we have started it...We will still need
additional players.....We need to be able to put a team on the floor where all of the players
have the ability to contribute good numbers on their stat lines....Will it happen immediately
next season? I don't think so....It will be significantly improved, and will build from there...
🤞🤞

I was just looking at the stats of the three seasons leading into Y2K (1997/8, 1988/9, & 1989/2000)...
The overall stats thru 6 positions were amazing....Everyone scored, everyone rebounded,
and everyone defended.....Little wonder we were so hard to beat....

Do we have a chance to get back there? I think we have a chance to reach a high level of
play IF we complete this ('23) recruiting class the way we have started it...We will still need
additional players.....We need to be able to put a team on the floor where all of the players
have the ability to contribute good numbers on their stat lines....Will it happen immediately
next season? I don't think so....It will be significantly improved, and will build from there...
🤞🤞
Agree. Next season is the season we REALLY start to build this thing. I look at a BIG improvement next year, and then by year 3..I think we could be rockin and rollin.

This was the TU NIT pre season game with Duke. We had 8 players better than anyone on our roster except a couple. Robinson was already looking at other jobs and Self was encouraging him to leave TU. ;)
We should have won that game...had something like a 10 pt lead at one point. Just didn't finish. But that was also the preseason NIT where Zac Bennett MADE a free throw to beat UCLA, and then we put the beat down on OSU here in the convention center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT