ADVERTISEMENT

TU Volleyball

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Appears that TU has moved on from Ryan Wills as the volleyball head coach. Ryan and his wife. Evyn (nee Bandy) were students of mine in Twin back when Evyn played volleyball for TU. They're good folks but I always questioned whether Ryan was right for the head job as a coach. TU is obviously serious about all of it's programs being quality programs and being postseason participants. Being a good person and graduating kids is no longer the standard for being (and remaining) a coach at TU. And it's not like TU is just moving on after 2-3 years from these coaches. Ryan had been at TU for 9 years and really hasn't sniffed the postseason. I wonder if Ed would come back? What does this mean for Chrissy Strimple in softball because TU softball should be an NCAA participant EVERY YEAR. Would Bargfeldt come back as the head guy with the renewed commitment to programs and facilities and atmosphere that TU has been creating the last 2 years?

He was being paid less than half the average AAC salary.

They will be putting more resources into the program moving forward.

Growth takes growing pains.

Reactions: TU_BLA
He was being paid less than half the average AAC salary.

They will be putting more resources into the program moving forward.

Growth takes growing pains.
This is good. There's a method to the madness that started when Rick came back as the AD. It started with charging the coaches to bring in a good # of walk-on athletes to their squads. This means recruiting kids to come to TU who had high academic qualifications and would get a decent amount of scholarships and financial aid that were not athletically based. It was a way to supplement the overall size of incoming classes and as I understand, this Fall was one of the largest in TU history and next Fall is shaping up to beat that. This is why you're seeing 36 soccer players out there on the men's and women's sides. With the men only having the equivalent of 9.9 scholarships, there's a whole lot that aren't receiving any athletic money whatsoever. You don't really see it in the equivalency sports (football, basketball, volleyball) although I thought I heard Coach Wilson mention something about meeting with the 120 players who are at TU meaning we've got a crap ton of walk-ons or those with extra eligibility. Maybe you get 1-2 in the other equivalencies. So investing in those programs and the facilities they use will help attract some more students to TU overall especially if they dream of at least being part of the team and continuing to play the sport they love.
I do hope softball is next. There's no reason at all why we aren't perennial top 25. And if Brad and Rick are serious, softball is next and they will BEG Bargfeldt to come back with a raise and improved facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT