ADVERTISEMENT

TU to Host 6A1 Semifinals

Babe the Blue Ox

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2001
Saturday 11/17

Union-Jenks 1 pm
Broken Arrow - Owasso 7 pm

BA seems to be the team to beat this year.

OSSAA should just move the semis and the championship to Tulsa every year. The west teams are not even really competitive with the east teams.

And the best 2 in 6A2 are also clearly east side teams (Bixby and BTW).

Saturday 11/17

Union-Jenks 1 pm
Broken Arrow - Owasso 7 pm

BA seems to be the team to beat this year.
BA has a really good balanced team. They don’t have a real weakness in any phase.

Jenks has bounced back. Union is pretty good and has some D1 talent.

Owasso has dropped a little from last year but when you lose the caliber of players you did after last season that is to be expected.

Owasso has dropped a little from last year but when you lose the caliber of players you did after last season that is to be expected.

Having 17 Senior starters last season has left the cupboards pretty bare this year. There is some potential in the underclasses, but the stars may not align again anytime soon.

David Alexander is building something special in BA. As long as BA stays together as one high school they are going to be good for as long Alexander is there.

Reactions: TU Sepp
David Alexander is building something special in BA. As long as BA stays together as one high school they are going to be good for as long Alexander is there.

He is benefitting from several previous coaches breaking up the political control and the klicks that fromed in the youth leagues.

Broken Arrow has always had the talent and even some very good coaches. Now we get to see that talent actually play for the coaches. It makes a huge difference.

If TU doesn't steal him hopefully BA keeps him and Tulsa can open a new local pipe line.

Shhhh, that would imply that we have a coach and in partucular an AD who are not maximizing available resources at TU.
What kids from these schools should we have gotten but missed out on? Because we’ve gotten just about everything we could have from Union the last three years. Every Owasso & Broken Arrow kid has gone high D1 and I don’t think we really could have competed with any of those realistically. Last time I checked, Monty has real good relations with the three Big Four schools that aren’t coached by Blankenship.

What kids from these schools should we have gotten but missed out on? Because we’ve gotten just about everything we could have from Union the last three years. Every Owasso & Broken Arrow kid has gone high D1 and I don’t think we really could have competed with any of those realistically. Last time I checked, Monty has real good relations with the three Big Four schools that aren’t coached by Blankenship.

The problem is you don't succeed if you don't try. Beyond that the fact that Gragg isn't promoting that those are our alums coaching says a lot to me.

That's a huge local deal to be able to say and another way to connect into the greater community.

Graggs #1 job is public relations.

Graggs #2 job is raising money, which funny enough is directly related to his #1 job.

Graggs #3 job is quality control in what kind of athletic product we put out. Scheduling, coaching, facilities, etc.

He is failing in all three.

They have an OT that’s better than anyone TU has ever had...and he’a a junior.
BA's got a ton of kids we should be looking at closely. Cortes, Raym, Marcheseli and his brother. Raym was committed to OU but then withdrew that. He's got offers from pretty much everywhere. Marcheseli is KState commit (or maybe TCU, I know they had purple in their colors).

BA has no significant weakness.
Jenks and Union are really good but not great like most years.
Owasso is pretty good but has only played two complete games the whole year.Granted, injuries to their starting RB and DE have not helped.
They've had three freshman play. On, Karney at WR, has started all but the first couple games. He's a stud WR. Overstreet at RB got some carries Friday as I guess Nava was hurt. Great build and a very solid RB. It surprise me he was pulled up vs Chase as I think Chase is better but, he doesn't have the build right now that Overstreet has.
Skalnick got some naps at the end of the PC game as a freshman QB.
Owasso has a lot of talent coming up through the ranks, current 8-10th graders, so they should continue to get better.

At the end of the day, I would be shocked if BA doesn't win it all this year.
It would take a really off night for them and a near perfect night for their opponent for them to get beat.

Owasso is pretty good but has only played two complete games the whole year.Granted, injuries to their starting RB and DE have not helped.
They've had three freshman play. On, Karney at WR, has started all but the first couple games. He's a stud WR. Overstreet at RB got some carries Friday as I guess Nava was hurt. Great build and a very solid RB. It surprise me he was pulled up vs Chase as I think Chase is better but, he doesn't have the build right now that Overstreet has.
Owasso has a lot of talent coming up through the ranks, current 8-10th graders, so they should continue to get better.

It would take a really off night for them and a near perfect night for their opponent for them to get beat.
I would agree. The interesting thing about the way the schedules in 6A1 work is Union always plays BA the 1st or 2nd week. Jenks usually plays BA the 1st week of district play so both played BA really early in the season and before there was any real improvement. Remember, Union last 2 of their 1st 3 this year (BA and Jenks) and then went on their annual roll. I expect the semifinal game with Jenks will be one of the classics we've all come to expect from a Jenks/Union game.

While BA has proven to be the strongest team in state all year, I expect the championship game to be a battle.

And I fully expect that Bixby/BTW to be the finals in 6A2.

I agree on Karney. He looks like he is going to be a good one, much better than Lucas who started the season. That just goes to prove that just because your brother is in the NFL it doesn't mean you can catch the ball too.

I agree on Karney. He looks like he is going to be a good one, much better than Lucas who started the season. That just goes to prove that just because your brother is in the NFL it doesn't mean you can catch the ball too.

He is in my sons grade and trains all the time.
He is going to be a stud by his JR year when he adds some muscle.
He’s got the footwork, hands, speed, and work ethic to be crazy good.

Jenks/BA finals
The ending of the Jenks/Union semi was everything everyone expects from those 2 every single time they play. My God elation to heartbreak (for a Union parent) in mere moments. Seriously, reminded me of the 1st time they played in Skelly with 40k watching. Union scores with 16 seconds left (pass from Gooch to Janet) and then 1st play from scrimmage, Jenks QB hits KeJuan Jones on a drag route and he goes 80 yards to the house with 8 seconds left.

Reactions: TU4ever2
It certainly wasn’t for those who coached there before him.

That's because BA let the board of education dictate football choices. Several of those coaches fought to change the system including Lancaster who flat out told the board if he got beat by Jenks or Union with a former BA player he would quit. Something along the lines of I'm tired of seeing you get beat by kids who should be playing for you.

It was all politics and who do you know because that's how coaches kept their job. The culture change took forever, 20+ years, but expect dominance to continue.

It's no mystery why BA struggled in other sports and dominated in wrestling. You weigh 155 you wrestle the other guy that weighs 155 winner takes the team spot. Wrestling always put it's best kids forward the other sports leave room for the politics. There are still some lingering aromas around the programs but for the most part that is gone now.

The ending of the Jenks/Union semi was everything everyone expects from those 2 every single time they play. My God elation to heartbreak (for a Union parent) in mere moments. Seriously, reminded me of the 1st time they played in Skelly with 40k watching. Union scores with 16 seconds left (pass from Gooch to Janet) and then 1st play from scrimmage, Jenks QB hits KeJuan Jones on a drag route and he goes 80 yards to the house with 8 seconds left.

Damn that was a great game Gooch finding the open receiver, then that pass Jones! His route was clean and then the burst. Jenks Union has had some good ones

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT