ADVERTISEMENT

TU should do what Wichita State did. ...

Tulsa76

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 9, 2007
Drop football altogether and concentrate on Bastketball or drop football down to FCS level... Or buildup the basketball program to become the Kansas of the AAC with a perineal losing football team that no one expects much from! TU can’t afford both!

If TU does this they will not be in the AAC guaranteed! Your suggestion will have TU playing in the Southland, MVC or Horizon Conference. WSU only got into the AAC because of recent success (final four) and to be the Navy fill in for BBall.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Stupid to suggest Tulsa drop down or opt out of football. We are in a good football league. Instead of dropping, just need to get better.

We aren't far off from being good. Monty's only problem is he hasn't gotten a couple better QB prospects and has not found the stretch receivers. Which is weird since he specialized in QBs. Need an OC too.

Monty is a terrible xoech and football mind. He must be fired or we might as well drop football

My son took a recruiting trip to WSU for baseball. Top notch facilities. Would love to see that program return to TU. I believe that in 5 yrs we would be competing for a shot at the CWS. Too much good talent in the area.

But since we are talking football, WSU has no plans on the horizon to play football. Their stadium needs too much renovation to even be up to old Skelly Stadium standards and the cost of the program itself is too prohibiting. I got this from multiple sources at WSU.

Unless the Koch’s or some aerospace interest wants to bankroll a football team, it’s just not gonna happen.

Reactions: jesterondirt
As much as some would like to see football go away (or drop to D2 or D3), it wouldn’t make any sense at this point. Tv renegotiations are about to begin and almost everyone involved with the situation thinks all the schools in the conference will see a pretty major bump in media revenue once it’s all said and done. Everything I’ve read/seen indicates somewhere in the ballpark of $8-12 million per year per school. Even at the low end, this would be a 300% revenue increase and up to a 500% increase.

So... we’ve been keeping our head above water on a shoestring budget. The increase in revenue could mean some big changes for how things work in the athletic department. I’m excited to see what that means for us and our conference.

Reactions: Tulsa76
UAB had the same thought until they realized the CUSA would drop them and they'd have to join the Sunbelt or SoCon or something. It's really quite crazy how competitive they've been after a self-imposed death penalty. They may win the conference this year.

As much as some would like to see football go away (or drop to D2 or D3), it wouldn’t make any sense at this point. Tv renegotiations are about to begin and almost everyone involved with the situation thinks all the schools in the conference will see a pretty major bump in media revenue once it’s all said and done. Everything I’ve read/seen indicates somewhere in the ballpark of $8-12 million per year per school. Even at the low end, this would be a 300% revenue increase and up to a 500% increase.

So... we’ve been keeping our head above water on a shoestring budget. The increase in revenue could mean some big changes for how things work in the athletic department. I’m excited to see what that means for us and our conference.
TV negotiations have already begun and the people who run the numbers know that TU cannot afford football but it really really really can’t afford to drop it and achieve the student recruitment and retention goals they would like to have, particularly amongst the super smart local kids being offered big money and opportunities to go to OU and elsewhere. Combine that with losing the revenue to pay for 85 women’s scholarships (at least) and TU football will continue to wimp and weeze under the tutelage of Coach Gandalf.

TV negotiations have already begun and the people who run the numbers know that TU cannot afford football but it really really really can’t afford to drop it and achieve the student recruitment and retention goals they would like to have, particularly amongst the super smart local kids being offered big money and opportunities to go to OU and elsewhere. Combine that with losing the revenue to pay for 85 women’s scholarships (at least) and TU football will continue to wimp and weeze under the tutelage of Coach Gandalf.

The University itself is at a crossroads, it's not just the football program.

The University itself is at a crossroads, it's not just the football program.
Who is responsible for this alleged problem? I’m tired of this trotted out as an excuse when it isn’t one.

UAB had the same thought until they realized the CUSA would drop them and they'd have to join the Sunbelt or SoCon or something. It's really quite crazy how competitive they've been after a self-imposed death penalty. They may win the conference this year.

It wasn’t UABs decision.... the Alabama board of regents cut their funding to pay for programs in Tuscaloosa.

I wish we could be like Texas,

I believe at one time, they were paying three 'ex' head coaches.

Nice to be a state school with deep pockets.

It wasn’t UABs decision.... the Alabama board of regents cut their funding to pay for programs in Tuscaloosa.

Maybe so, but it was the president of the university who made the announcement and took the fall. He was not the most popular man on campus in the immediate aftermath.

There was a little more to the UAB issue than just a competitiveness/funding issue. Bear Bryant's son is (or at least was) the chairman of the board of regents for the UA system. Insiders say that Bryant called for dropping football at UAB because having to fund that program was diverting funds away from the UA-Tuscaloosa program.

After a reversal and some pledges from some former UAB players, UAB is 7-1 this season and ranked in the top 25.

There was a little more to the UAB issue than just a competitiveness/funding issue. Bear Bryant's son is (or at least was) the chairman of the board of regents for the UA system. Insiders say that Bryant called for dropping football at UAB because having to fund that program was diverting funds away from the UA-Tuscaloosa program.

After a reversal and some pledges from some former UAB players, UAB is 7-1 this season and ranked in the top 25.

UAB has enough votes to be about #35 in both polls. That's a good accomplishment for them.

Good recruiting will work wonders for a program like TU’s. Big question is who is going to get that done?????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT