ADVERTISEMENT

TU Search: Where things stand -- Possible leader emerges

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Several candidates have spoken to Tulsa officials about its football coaching vacancy, and while a few names fell out of the picture Wednesday (including Wells), others became more prominent (including Phil Montgomery). Here's an update on where things stand…

MORE INFO:
premium.gif
Where things stand in TU coaching search
https://tulsa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1714390
This post was edited on 12/11 8:13 AM by Chris Harmon

This pattern is mirroring the basketball search very closely. Lots of frontrunner names and reports of this guy and that guy interviewing, Big Al and Pat Jones spewing out names that never even were legit candidates as though they were geriatrics begin spoon fed by a nurse and then BAM, out of left field comes a name NO ONE would have ever guessed. Not sure what to make of the chatter this time and how to take any of the info, even coming from here.

Frost, Montgomery would be legit great hires IMO. Think Gragg still has a little surprise up his sleeve at this point.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
This pattern is mirroring the basketball search very closely. Lots of frontrunner names and reports of this guy and that guy interviewing, Big Al and Pat Jones spewing out names that never even were legit candidates as though they were geriatrics begin spoon fed by a nurse and then BAM, out of left field comes a name NO ONE would have ever guessed. Not sure what to make of the chatter this time and how to take any of the info, even coming from here.

Frost, Montgomery would be legit great hires IMO. Think Gragg still has a little surprise up his sleeve at this point.
I can only speak for myself, but I've been very careful on how I've reported things throughout the week in our articles and in Hurricane Alley. I have confirmation of six of the guys that actually interviewed, and the only time I used the word "frontrunner" was late last night in reference to Montgomery.

There have been some prominent names and top candidates at different times in the search due to the timing of when certain guys interviewed, but I try to stay away from pointing to a leader or frontrunner until it appears legit.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:

Just wanted to add, BLA, that I agree with you about Gragg having surprises. Even though I've been able to get a lot of good info on most candidates, Gragg has been able to keep things completely quiet on a few of them...and I still think there are 3 or 4 guys that were involved that haven't been discovered. And until Montgomery accepts Tulsa's offer, anything could happen. One of these other guys, like Frost, could be right back in it.

It's always a fluid situation, which makes these things an absolute pain to cover.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT