ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 News/Notes TU responds after review of bowl game altercation

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
The University of Tulsa and the American Athletic Conference released statements after completing a review of the altercation that took place at the end of Tulsa's Armed Forces bowl game against Mississippi State on Dec. 31.

They are adults not children. Put the names out there. Inquiring minds want to know who isn’t playing next season

They are adults not children. Put the names out there. Inquiring minds want to know who isn’t playing next season
Unless you are a player with potential border line NFL free agent chances. Might be better to keep it under wraps for them. As Chris points out, we will know soon enough, at least among the starters. Also we are jumping to the conclusion it’s game suspensions. Nothing stopping TU from sanctioning with a loss of spring practice.

Unless you are a player with potential border line NFL free agent chances. Might be better to keep it under wraps for them. As Chris points out, we will know soon enough, at least among the starters. Also we are jumping to the conclusion it’s game suspensions. Nothing stopping TU from sanctioning with a loss of spring practice.

The press release specifically references game suspensions.

Game suspension is a part of it. Some might get kicked out of school for this as well.

Waiting to hear what penalties the Mississippi State players are receiving for their role in this.

Crickets.

Waiting to hear what penalties the Mississippi State players are receiving for their role in this.

Crickets.

As my mother, aunt, and grandmother would often point out, Mississippi State isn't our concern. We don't judge ourselves based on what others are doing but on our own values and the expectations we have for our behavior and decision making. That is what personal responsibility and character mean.

We failed. The players failed. There are always consequences, we will deal with ours, and then move forward having learned from the experience and set a standard of what is accepted.

Mississippi St will do what they will do and their fans/students/alums/program will judge their program accordingly.

As my mother, aunt, and grandmother would often point out, Mississippi State isn't our concern. We don't judge ourselves based on what others are doing but on our own values and the expectations we have for our behavior and decision making. That is what personal responsibility and character mean.

We failed. The players failed. There are always consequences, we will deal with ours, and then move forward having learned from the experience and set a standard of what is accepted.

Mississippi St will do what they will do and their fans/students/alums/program will judge their program accordingly.

I thought you were done with all of this as long as the coach is still in place. Kind of like a negative Jimmy Chitwood: “Coach stays, I go”.

I thought you were done with all of this as long as the coach is still in place. Kind of like a negative Jimmy Chitwood: “Coach stays, I go”.
He'll always post silly stuff like this. His game analysis is good, after that it's a crapshoot with him, as far as what point he comes to.

not that it makes what our players did ok, but I have read several impartial reports and responses that thought Miss St instigated the event.

Who said I was done with holding the program accountable? This is the first announcement we have heard about it. Just looking at Dickinson's comments and the lack of Monty input tells me he didn't get a pass. I am waiting to see how this falls out.

You seem in a hurry Blue to try and call me out. I will keep an eye out for the next honest criticism you have of any of our programs.

You as always are welcome to be kumbaya. However you will have no standing with people who are looking to hold the program accountable if your view is whatever happens is fine and negative consequences are suppose to happen.

Who said I was done with holding the program accountable? This is the first announcement we have heard about it. Just looking at Dickinson's comments and the lack of Monty input tells me he didn't get a pass. I am waiting to see how this falls out.

You seem in a hurry Blue to try and call me out. I will keep an eye out for the next honest criticism you have of any of our programs.

You as always are welcome to be kumbaya. However you will have no standing with people who are looking to hold the program accountable if your view is whatever happens is fine and negative consequences are suppose to happen.

I may not always be complimentary, but I won’t be critical here about my school. You’ll have to find other ways to further your agenda. My standing here is just fine.

I may not always be complimentary, but I won’t be critical here about my school. You’ll have to find other ways to further your agenda. My standing here is just fine.

That may be true, but a person who can't admit when his school has done wrong has zero credibility when defending their school.

If 4ever read the local newspaper every now and then, he or she would know that Angie Dickinson is not our AD.

That may be true, but a person who can't admit when his school has done wrong has zero credibility when defending their school.

Well if you ever do decide to leave us and look for a new hobby, I hear that the King of Queens show on the Peacock network is very entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
You need to get over it. TU is not the only school that's ever had these altercations. And wont be the last. Yeah, it was unfortunate, but I bet almost nobody even remembers it, after only one month. If something like this makes you think so lowly of the school and never want to watch another TU sporting event, you may not be that big of a fan to begin with. And I'm sorry,but if another player walked up to me amd punched me, i wouldn't just take it amd walk away, any guy out there is going to stand up for himself. I know sports have gotten soft lately but come on

If 4ever read the local newspaper every now and then, he or she would know that Angie Dickinson is not our AD.

If the local paper put out anything worth reading or timely news they wouldn't be hemorrhaging money and going out of business.

If last names weren't descriptors elementary students would never have anything to joke about.

You need to get over it. TU is not the only school that's ever had these altercations. And wont be the last. Yeah, it was unfortunate, but I bet almost nobody even remembers it, after only one month. If something like this makes you think so lowly of the school and never want to watch another TU sporting event, you may not be that big of a fan to begin with. And I'm sorry,but if another player walked up to me amd punched me, i wouldn't just take it amd walk away, any guy out there is going to stand up for himself. I know sports have gotten soft lately but come on

Well if you ran back, put your helmet on after telling me how much of a big bad ass you were and you were going to beat me, then approached me aggressively I just might stick you in the face and try and rip that helmet off so we are going even.

Silly me though, thinking that a coach who has an obvious discipline problems, a terrible winning record, and who just embarrassed the school on national television should face some consequences. This is a growing issue, not a something that just cropped up.

Well if you ever do decide to leave us and look for a new hobby, I hear that the King of Queens show on the Peacock network is very entertaining.

Leave you?

This school and I are forever tied together Blue, it's not just in my name. My name is on the school and the school is on my name. Forever, that's what an education is, it lasts for all time as long as I do. Forever I will be tied to my alma mater, my literal other mother. If we play this silly game or not. As long as MY university puts its name on things, I will expect it to hold a high standard to carry that name. That was what it expected of me when it accepted me, educated me, then put me out in the world with its brand on how I think.

Leave you?

This school and I are forever tied together Blue, it's not just in my name. My name is on the school and the school is on my name. Forever, that's what an education is, it lasts for all time as long as I do. Forever I will be tied to my alma mater, my literal other mother. If we play this silly game or not. As long as MY university puts its name on things, I will expect it to hold a high standard to carry that name. That was what it expected of me when it accepted me, educated me, then put me out in the world with its brand on how I think.

So are you sticking to this statement or not:

“ I will not buy another piece of gear, I will not buy a ticket, or support a single University of Tulsa thing until he is gone. What a ****ing joke he has turned this into.

I am done.”

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If the local paper put out anything worth reading or timely news they wouldn't be hemorrhaging money and going out of business.

If last names weren't descriptors elementary students would never have anything to joke about.
Yeah, that's the reason. It doesn't have anything to do with that struggling industry of yester year.

Reactions: 4tu2
So are you sticking to this statement or not:

“ I will not buy another piece of gear, I will not buy a ticket, or support a single University of Tulsa thing until he is gone. What a ****ing joke he has turned this into.

I am done.”

Oh I am sorry, here I was thinking you cared about the university. Turns out you are only concerned with the old football team and whether they can keep playing.

So again as I pointed out to you, I am waiting to finish seeing what exactly is done about Monty.

But considering I already stopped two Golden Hurricane Club memberships and still haven't bought any new gear, yeah I am pretty serious about it.

Unfortunately you showed that you're not really a fan of this university, which is kind of sad. But you continue supporting the ol football and we'll see whether it is more important than the values the school claims.

Personally it makes me happy to see so many people saw this for the clear issue it is. Not sure when it became acceptable as a coach for your team to get into a brawl (institutional control and all). Glad that regardless of what some fans think, or what some other school does, some integrity is present in the university still.

Its been rare for me to be in the position of not wanting someone to be a fan of my school anymore. Honestly though Blue the school would be better off if you weren't. It's hard enough to uphold standards and for character to matter with out the "fans" encouraging the opposite.

Which is why my comment about the difference between us and Miss St got so many likes and your own little sanctimonious and dubious call out hasn't got much.

Ease up on TU4ever2..... Monty’s ineptness has driven many of us to say things we do not mean. I for one know that I have.

Oh I have, but I meant this.

Maybe it's just the group on this message board right now, but I can't imagine this having happened under Rader, Burns, Kragthorpe, Graham, or Blankenship and our fan base being ok with this.

We had players talking :crap:, go back, armor up like medieval knights and come back looking to go to war.

Now because the Miss St players punched the aggressive Tulsa players first they are at fault?

Or it's not the coaches fault because they are kids/grown.

Since when? If you tell me you are going to punch me in the face am I suppose to wait doe you to do it?

If the coach isn't responsible for how his team behaves and acts, then what is he responsible for? He can't be a genius getting the best out of his players, but not responsible for the wrong stuff they do to.

This is how :crap: like Baylor creeps up in programs. You think they started off on conspiracy for murder and accessory to felony rape?

Of course not, it started with some issues here and there. Some troubled players who got away with this or that. A few unconnected arrests, a kid who shouldn't have been there, shouldn't have played but did. It's always a slow continuous slide. When was the last time Tulsa got into a fight in football? When was the last time we were the ones instigating it?

This should bother anybody who is paying attention. The biggest chunk of publicity this school has had the last three years is a toss up between all the crap the administration tried to slide by everybody and a football fight that got a week of national coverage.

Oh I am sorry, here I was thinking you cared about the university. Turns out you are only concerned with the old football team and whether they can keep playing.

So again as I pointed out to you, I am waiting to finish seeing what exactly is done about Monty.

But considering I already stopped two Golden Hurricane Club memberships and still haven't bought any new gear, yeah I am pretty serious about it.

Unfortunately you showed that you're not really a fan of this university, which is kind of sad. But you continue supporting the ol football and we'll see whether it is more important than the values the school claims.

Personally it makes me happy to see so many people saw this for the clear issue it is. Not sure when it became acceptable as a coach for your team to get into a brawl (institutional control and all). Glad that regardless of what some fans think, or what some other school does, some integrity is present in the university still.

Its been rare for me to be in the position of not wanting someone to be a fan of my school anymore. Honestly though Blue the school would be better off if you weren't. It's hard enough to uphold standards and for character to matter with out the "fans" encouraging the opposite.

Which is why my comment about the difference between us and Miss St got so many likes and your own little sanctimonious and dubious call out hasn't got much.

I was only hoping for a yes or no answer and not a long winded manifesto. But while we’re at it you must have me confused with someone else.

My family has actively supported the university since the 1940’s, with members either currently serving or previously serving on both athletic and academic boards so I think I’ve got a pretty good idea what’s going on at our school.

Now if you can help me figure out how to cover tuition for two students next year that would be nice.

Nope, you are who I thought you were, worse you're not a symptom, you are part of the problem.

I've noticed you like to ask a lot of questions but have no answers.

When was the last time a TU football team got in a fight?

That you don't see a serious discipline problem with this coaching staff is willful ignorance and you are definitely letting your football view override the schools values and that is a problem.

But come on Blue you can do better than appealing to your family history for a reason to continue to support a coach who has a terrible record, a historic relationship at a program that had legal and NCAA issues, has shown a lack of control at his current position.

Anything reasonable, something besides you have been around for a while, or you know people would be appreciated.

Nope, you are who I thought you were, worse you're not a symptom, you are part of the problem.

I've noticed you like to ask a lot of questions but have no answers.

When was the last time a TU football team got in a fight?

That you don't see a serious discipline problem with this coaching staff is willful ignorance and you are definitely letting your football view override the schools values and that is a problem.

But come on Blue you can do better than appealing to your family history for a reason to continue to support a coach who has a terrible record, a historic relationship at a program that had legal and NCAA issues, has shown a lack of control at his current position.

Anything reasonable, something besides you have been around for a while, or you know people would be appreciated.

Now you’re just making stuff up to further your own agenda.

I don’t believe that I’ve ever posted an opinion of the coach or his staff, either positively or negative. I’ve also not posted my opinion of the brawl, but those who know me know how I feel about both topics.

I only posted two opinions here all season:

1. I felt bad for fans who let their hatred of the coach affect their ability to enjoy the games.

2. Good teams find a way to win.

And please call me Babe. You only have to call me by my last name if you’re trying to sell me something.

My god, you're acting like this is the worst thing to happen in college football history. Ask 100 fans of college football what they thought about the ending of the Tulsa vs Miss st game and I bet you 99 of them wouldn't even remember or realize anything happened. Time to get off your high horse and stop thinking you're better then everyone else because you want to turn your back on a university youll supposedly love 4ever, all because grown mean had a little fight. Who the F cares that much. In my opinion, enjoy cheering on the Sooners or cowboys if you want.

Reactions: quincy101
My god, you're acting like this is the worst thing to happen in college football history. Ask 100 fans of college football what they thought about the ending of the Tulsa vs Miss st game and I bet you 99 of them wouldn't even remember or realize anything happened. Time to get off your high horse and stop thinking you're better then everyone else because you want to turn your back on a university youll supposedly love 4ever, all because grown mean had a little fight. Who the F cares that much. In my opinion, enjoy cheering on the Sooners or cowboys if you want.

To be fair, I think his issue is more with the perceived lack of discipline within the program as evidenced by the penalties and trash talking over the last few years that culminated into a fight at the bowl game.

That's what I'm reading in his posts.

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU_BLA
To be fair, I think his issue is more with the perceived lack of discipline within the program as evidenced by the penalties and trash talking over the last few years that culminated into a fight at the bowl game.

That's what I'm reading in his posts.
When my sons played high school basketball it always bugged me that the refs not once
called a tech on a player for all the trash talking . Can you imagine the pleasantries
exchanged across the offensive and defensive lines ? Instead of all the bravado , good
players let their talents do the talking .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT