ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

Tough. Not running directly on goal. Not a clear goal scoring situation.

It isn’t gamesmanship for Charlotte if the reputation is earned. We’ve got players who have a reputation for being physical and vocal. This isn’t the first referee to try to keep the game under control,
They do a lot of stupid sh*ts to. Playing our goalie or our defenders when us and most of the rest of the teams leave it alone. They are just extending a bunch of bs that goes no where. Just makes the defense do a lot of ticky tack defending when Charlotte knows they aren't going to get a goal out of it.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The pressure is getting Charlotte shots but the more threatening thing is the lack of tracking back and linking play by the midfield. That may be just confusion from playing a man down. Either way, Charlotte is dispossessing at a higher rate and that could lead to build up and a score.

The pressure is getting Charlotte shots but the more threatening thing is the lack of tracking back and linking play by the midfield. That may be just confusion from playing a man down. Either way, Charlotte is dispossessing at a higher rate and that could lead to build up and a score.
They are really pissing me off. That defender getting over Takayoshi after he attempted a shot on goal, and aggressively motioning him to get up. What's good for the goose is good for gander.

Can someone explain why Fazio got a red? It didn't look like his knee even made contact. Even if it did, that is such a tame thing to eject somebody for.

Can someone explain why Fazio got a red? It didn't look like his knee even made contact. Even if it did, that is such a tame thing to eject somebody for.
Reputation foul that was well sold by the Charlotte actress.

Reactions: TU 1978
Reputation foul that was well sold by the Charlotte actress.
It was intentional, and he'd already let the step over, brush by go earlier. Didn't even call a foul on us in that escapade. Control issue by the refs was part of it, the lady's acting ability was part of it.

But that flip of the legs into meinhard was intentional later on. That was dangerous and stopped a goal the only way they could have. That should have drawn a red as well.

There shouldn't be any confusion. I think we traditionally come out in a 4-4-3 high press. After Fazio came off, it became more of a 4-3-2 as a forward came off for Richnow (who's a stud by the way...he played very well under the circumstances). The 3 MFs have the same responsibility to defending as they always do.

To address Fazio's red card. It was more the action than the actual contact or foul. It was stupid but I'm sure the Charlotte bitch was goading him into it. They did it all night long. Sach and Fazio were pretty pissed about it all night and they kept telling the ref and he kept dismissing them. The flop in the box in the 1st half was one example. The little behind the play swipe that ended up with Torrijos getting a card for retaliating with a bump from behind. And it almost seemed like a half-time adjustment from Charlotte where they came out and were just trying to goad someone from TU into a red card as they knew that was their only chance back into the game.

BTW, I hate college VAR only being used for BS like this. If you have it, you have it. The hand ball in the box on WVa in the NCAA tournament last year would have been a clear PK if reviewed. And how many conferences can even do it? Does ORU even broadcast any of their games at home, plus the awful sight lines in some places?

Outside of some of the being able to stay disciplined and in control issues when you know teams are going to try some shady :crap: to see if they can get a man advantage knowing it's the only way they can compete. Tom needs to address this part with the team. Teams know TU is one of the best teams in the country. 1st half last night wasn't even competitive. TU dominated that game vs the team ranked #12. Hell, at even strength TU dominated the team that was ranked #3. Teams are absolutely going to try to come in and get under our skin knowing that is their only chance.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It was Pop right? Our sideline reporter? Usually he has an English guy with him.
No. It was the other guy. I think Poplin takes Sundays after a TU football game off and that is fine. Maybe we need to ask @voiceofcane who does the ESPN+ broadcasts when it's not Poplin or Saunders.

No. It was the other guy. I think Poplin takes Sundays after a TU football game off and that is fine. Maybe we need to ask @voiceofcane who does the ESPN+ broadcasts when it's not Poplin or Saunders.
That's Brandon Hart. The guy who does the women's basketball radio play by play.

That's Brandon Hart. The guy who does the women's basketball radio play by play.
OK. He's fine on the basketball stuff. He doesn't know soccer well enough from a tactical or technical standpoint to provide real insight to what's going on which is why he probably needs a soccer guy for analysis with him.

Rain happened against FIU.

We're thrashing them 9/4 to 1/0 shots/shots on goal.
It had just finished raining in Wisconsin as well I believe and then started up again. We are not an aquatic minded team.

It had just finished raining in Wisconsin as well I believe and then started up again. We are not an aquatic minded team.
That's funny....and it makes you wonder why TU drenched the pitch before the WVa game last November. The ball was leaving rooster tails rolling up the pitch. I always figured TU, with their style would want a firm, fast pitch which would mean less watering before the game kicked off. I want to say the SMU game was similar in terms of how much water went down just before kick.

Just dropped, Top Drawer Soccer Rankings. 4 AAC schools in the top 25. Charlotte at #15, TU #18, Memphis #22, and SMU at #25.

Missouri State remains at #12, Kentucky #4

The fact that Charlotte ad Missouri State pretty much maintained their rankings after getting hammered by us means everyone knows how good we are. Why we haven't moved up more in that poll is a little puzzling..I think the inexplicable poor showings vs Wisconsin, which didn't essentially count, and FIU have people wondering who we really are although you get the sense they suspect they know.

United Coaches Poll hasn't come out for this week yet. That one tends to give more credit to the P5 schools.

Latest RPI shows us at #2 behind Kentucky.

OK. He's fine on the basketball stuff. He doesn't know soccer well enough from a tactical or technical standpoint to provide real insight to what's going on which is why he probably needs a soccer guy for analysis with him.
I don’t care if it’s two rednecks who always dreamed of calling 3A high school football and need a check tape. Two guys in the booth bring a cadence to the broadcast listeners anticipate and is clearly missing in a solo booth.

There’s enough TU soccer alumni in Tulsa they could take turns at it.

There shouldn't be any confusion. I think we traditionally come out in a 4-4-3 high press. After Fazio came off, it became more of a 4-3-2 as a forward came off for Richnow (who's a stud by the way...he played very well under the circumstances). The 3 MFs have the same responsibility to defending as they always do.

To address Fazio's red card. It was more the action than the actual contact or foul. It was stupid but I'm sure the Charlotte bitch was goading him into it. They did it all night long. Sach and Fazio were pretty pissed about it all night and they kept telling the ref and he kept dismissing them. The flop in the box in the 1st half was one example. The little behind the play swipe that ended up with Torrijos getting a card for retaliating with a bump from behind. And it almost seemed like a half-time adjustment from Charlotte where they came out and were just trying to goad someone from TU into a red card as they knew that was their only chance back into the game.

BTW, I hate college VAR only being used for BS like this. If you have it, you have it. The hand ball in the box on WVa in the NCAA tournament last year would have been a clear PK if reviewed. And how many conferences can even do it? Does ORU even broadcast any of their games at home, plus the awful sight lines in some places?

Outside of some of the being able to stay disciplined and in control issues when you know teams are going to try some shady :crap: to see if they can get a man advantage knowing it's the only way they can compete. Tom needs to address this part with the team. Teams know TU is one of the best teams in the country. 1st half last night wasn't even competitive. TU dominated that game vs the team ranked #12. Hell, at even strength TU dominated the team that was ranked #3. Teams are absolutely going to try to come in and get under our skin knowing that is their only chance.
My beef at the time wasn’t the defending, it was the lack of linkage between the defenders and midfielders after we regained possession. Lots of passes to nobody, MF missing from the lanes, communication stuff. Took about 10 minutes but they got it sorted and it was fine.

Reactions: TU_BLA
My beef at the time wasn’t the defending, it was the lack of linkage between the defenders and midfielders after we regained possession. Lots of passes to nobody, MF missing from the lanes, communication stuff. Took about 10 minutes but they got it sorted and it was fine.
Ah, yes, I get what you're saying. You notice that disconnect in lower level teams that don't quite understand maintaining that relationship between lines. MFs join the attack and the defenders just hang back leaving 20-25 yds of space between the lines. This will create more problems for the defense as you can't just let the ball advance unchecked which then creates space in behind when someone steps to the ball. TU usually avoids these pitfalls and a lot of it has to do with Sach' activity and work to get from defending to attacking.

I don’t care if it’s two rednecks who always dreamed of calling 3A high school football and need a check tape. Two guys in the booth bring a cadence to the broadcast listeners anticipate and is clearly missing in a solo booth.

There’s enough TU soccer alumni in Tulsa they could take turns at it.
Shane Schwab is around. I'm sure you could bring him in for a game or two. He could also provide insight from a referee standpoint.

Was occupied for this game. Too bad we couldn't get one goal against UAB. I don't know how good uab is this year. They have played a tough schedule. Tie is better than a loss, but...

Was occupied for this game. Too bad we couldn't get one goal against UAB. I don't know how good uab is this year. They have played a tough schedule. Tie is better than a loss, but...
We always fart or hiccup once around midterms.

I think technically it's a deliberate unsporting foul "with contact", along the same lines as the Zidane head butt.

TU dominated the majority of this game. I'd say 85% of the 2nd half was played in UABs defensive 1/3 and we seemed to play our normal, possessing style and getting Edwards and Cashion deep in the wings. We lacked the precise service into the area. We had 2 fantastic chances off of deep free kicks, one went just over the bar and the 2nd was a really nice save by the UAB keeper. I really need to go read the rules on VAR in the NCAA. Off a corner we had a ball come to one of our MFs just outside the box and he hammered a shot towards goal. It was deflected and ended up going out for a 2nd corner...so I thought. Play was then stopped and the referee came towards the sideline. Apparently he called a handball and a PK (I didn't have the sound on as we were at the Union HS football game). When he returned he placed the ball about 1 yd outside the top of the box. So you can review potential red cards and foul play and you can review PKs but only to whether the infraction occurs in the penalty area but you can't review whether or not a foul or infraction that could result in a PK occurred? You know, like the handball WVa committed in the tournament game last year in OT.

We need to find goals in games like this where you can tell the other team is going to park the bus and try to get a draw. It looked like UAB was celebrating the 0-0 draw and we looked exasperated and frustrated.

You know you are legit when the home team acts like they won a tourney. Like you are their whole season.

We completely dominated this game and had plenty of good chances (we hit the bar twice). It’s hard to fault the boys for the draw, but it was definitely a game we should have won.

Meinhard got subbed for 15 minutes into the game and apparently never came back in. I feel like we would have scored at least a goal had he played the second half.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
3-0 win over FAU tonight who had been atop the AAC standings coming in. That distinction now belongs to TU. Goals from Will Edwards (1st half) and Henry Sach (2nd half) staked TU to a 2-0 lead. MHS added one with 11 seconds left for the final margin. TU dominated this game in the manner we've been accustomed to. Alex Lopez really only had 1 save off a corner. FAU had a couple of other chances get blocked and sent wide or over the net. They didn't have too many chances to be honest. FAU did come out and try to press TU in the 2nd half...didn't work that well and it started leaving them exposed in the back. Their keeper mad several forays 30yds off his line to clear some through balls. They also possessed a little quality to their game and against most teams they'd probably be effective but we all know this TU group is different and one of the best in the NCAA this season.

Cashion was the MVP of the match in my opinion. He dominated the player that was set to guard him. At one point it just felt like he was playing with him. Could have nutmegged him a few times for fun. He also defended extremely well and had many take aways. His only downfall was the yellow but after watching the replay, it was a clean play. Shouldn't have been carded....our other yellow....absolutely. TU just outclassed them in every way. This could have easily been a 5-7 goal game.

Cashion was the MVP of the match in my opinion. He dominated the player that was set to guard him. At one point it just felt like he was playing with him. Could have nutmegged him a few times for fun. He also defended extremely well and had many take aways. His only downfall was the yellow but after watching the replay, it was a clean play. Shouldn't have been carded....our other yellow....absolutely. TU just outclassed them in every way. This could have easily been a 5-7 goal game.
Cashion plays this way every game. He is vastly under rated because he's only 5'5". He's got like a 30" vertical and out leaps players who are 6' for headers in the box. He is technically gifted and turned a few Kentucky players inside out late in the game until one of the UK players decide to just wipe Mitchell out. He had a serious knew injury a couple of years ago and wasn't ready to play until the SMU game last season and from that moment on, TU was a completely different beast. Rooks had been starting at that right fullback spot and he's just not the same player as Mitchell.

On Mitchell's yellow yesterday...it shouldn't been given as a yellow. I agree with the foul being called but it wasn't a yellow IMO. Mitchell played the ball and made a legit attempt at it, it wasn't particularly reckless, and it wasn't cynical or on a break. There was a little contact from Mitchell trying to get to the ball.

TU has basically outclassed just about everyone this year except for FIU and Wisconsin. Not sure how we didn't score 3-4 against UAB. Ironically, a day after TU had that draw with UAB, my son got a recruiting email from UAB inviting him to Birmingham for an ID camp, tour the campus and come to their game against UCF (?) that weekend. The cornerstone of the email was that UAB had just earned their first ever point in AAC play against nationally ranked Tulsa and the trip to campus will give my son an opportunity to see the highest level of college soccer...we went to nearly every TU home game last year and have been a couple of times this year (the only reason we didn't go last night is he had practice). I think he knows what the highest level of college soccer looks like.

Reactions: drboobay
Also on that note, Henry Sach was a monster last night. Not just the goal but his ability to absolutely control the midfield with his possession and distribution. Reminiscent of Michael Bradley at his peak with the USMNT.

Also on that note, Henry Sach was a monster last night. Not just the goal but his ability to absolutely control the midfield with his possession and distribution. Reminiscent of Michael Bradley at his peak with the USMNT.
Which works well until you run into a team with the speed range and physicality to disrupt that single pivot, ie the second or third round of the tourney.

What a great game last night. This team is loaded. As I posted elsewhere they have a legit shot to win the national championship for the first time in our history. More than just a shooters chance with a favorable seeding like previous years. I’ve not watched as closely this year as I have in previous years. But the three games we’ve struggled we’ve struggled against physically larger teams that could disrupt possession in the middle. Sach needs help at times and we will have to find it with tactics and quickness, we’ve struggled in the size and speed category at certain positions.

Should be fine. Looking forward to hearing the whining of UCF at the end of the month.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT