ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

Didn't Tom spend his freshman year at Wisconsin before transferring to TU?
It's possible. He's originally from Milwaukee. His Wikipedia page only refers to his college career at TU though, 1986-88. His bio on the TU athletics page doesn't mention anything about going to UW either.

It's possible. He's originally from Milwaukee. His Wikipedia page only refers to his college career at TU though, 1986-88. His bio on the TU athletics page doesn't mention anything about going to UW either.
I met him the fall (summer?) his family moved to Tulsa from Wisconsin and he joined my youth "classic league" team. I think Tom was 14 or 15 then. That team made it to the southern region semifinals (in San Antonio maybe)? Great times!

I digress but always feel proud of how Tom has made such a great career in the game and at TU. So forgive any repetitions!

Reactions: HuffyCane
I missed the leak and now I'm pissed off...
Dlsdnid or whatever went to practice and thought it would be cool to post a few comments on the positions we are struggling at, with specifics. Info easily exploited by opponents to force turnovers. And you should be pissed off. Coaches and friendlies comb through these message boards for info just like that. Rivals reporters, not Chris or Larry, look at them too and trade intel to opposing coaches for recruiting scoops. Doing something like that a second time deserves a lifetime ban and loss of ticket privileges. It’s a fan death penalty offense.

Dlsdnid or whatever went to practice and thought it would be cool to post a few comments on the positions we are struggling at, with specifics. Info easily exploited by opponents to force turnovers. And you should be pissed off. Coaches and friendlies comb through these message boards for info just like that. Rivals reporters, not Chris or Larry, look at them too and trade intel to opposing coaches for recruiting scoops. Doing something like that a second time deserves a lifetime ban and loss of ticket privileges. It’s a fan death penalty offense.
Yikes!!! You are certainly not wrong...

Well it seems it was an unintentional thing and it was cleaned up. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Beautiful night for a match. Malik Henry Scott is in the starting lineup and I got stung by a wasp walking in (that sucks).

3-0 at half. MHS had the first goal after a corner and a loose ball in the box. Thomas Wells had the 2nd off of a great play and feed and Taka Wyatt had the 3rd on a great counter play.

Beautiful night for a match. Malik Henry Scott is in the starting lineup and I got stung by a wasp walking in (that sucks).
If you have any steroid prescription pills lying around the house, they help.

4-0 now. MHS with a 2nd on an absolute beauty. The turn he made after receiving the ball froze the defender and he walked in and hammered a shot past the keeper

Yes it was a mistake and I deleted it I do want what’s best for TU and I hope they play great. I go to all the games in football and basketball and have gone to many bowl games. I even went To Tulsas win over Notre Dame a lot of fun Have been going since the 60’s. Seen good and bad Played in the band under Dailey and then Predl Not much bigger then than now

Last edited:
ORU was down to 9 men by about midway through the 1st half (due to 2 red cards). It was never really a contest.

ORU was down to 9 men by about midway through the 1st half (due to 2 red cards). It was never really a contest.
I need to go watch the replay on ESPN+. The 2nd one was avoidable as the kid picked up a 2nd yellow for dissent after already being on a yellow. 20 minutes in...and you've done enough to earn 2 yellows. This is after a straight red 3 minutes into the game for a teammate. There are really only two things you can do to draw a straight red in the 3rd minute. One is taking a player on a breakaway down as the last defender. The 2nd is studs up and extremely reckless.

I need to go watch the replay on ESPN+. The 2nd one was avoidable as the kid picked up a 2nd yellow for dissent after already being on a yellow. 20 minutes in...and you've done enough to earn 2 yellows. This is after a straight red 3 minutes into the game for a teammate. There are really only two things you can do to draw a straight red in the 3rd minute. One is taking a player on a breakaway down as the last defender. The 2nd is studs up and extremely reckless.

Yeah, watching the game live I thought the straight red might have been a little harsh, but after I went back and watched the replay on ESPN+ I think it was the right call. He totally took out Cashion’s ankles with his slide tackle and didn’t get a touch on the ball at all.

studs up and extremely reckless.
Lol my old band had a song called “Sunday League”. Studs up, no retreat, We are the Sunday League!

I think there was a verse in there about crushing a case of beer at halftime to nurse the wounds.

Lol my old band had a song called “Sunday League”. Studs up, no retreat, We are the Sunday League!

I think there was a verse in there about crushing a case of beer at halftime to nurse the wounds.
Did you post at 4:20 on purpose?

Yeah, watching the game live I thought the straight red might have been a little harsh, but after I went back and watched the replay on ESPN+ I think it was the right call. He totally took out Cashion’s ankles with his slide tackle and didn’t get a touch on the ball at all.
My son and I watched the game today. We are both referees. The red was 100% warranted. The tackle wasn't really a slide tackle but a sort of air borne flying side tackle. Mitchell is lucky he wasn't seriously injured.

In watching the game, it appeared ORU's strategy was to try to be extra physical with TU to sort of put them off their game. Epic miscalculation and backfire.

On that note, my son got a recruiting letter from ORU today. He threw it in the trash after reading it 🤣

TU 1 UK 1. We played down a man from 35th minute.

TU 1 UK 1. We played down a man from 35th minute.
Pretty impressive with a man down for 2/3rds of the match. What are they ranked, something like 5th. Much better than the 2-0 loss to Wisconsin.

Yes. We led nearly the whole game. Chippy game. Lots of argy bargy. Especially in the second half and they started running their mouth and playing physical and TU toyed with them with nutmegs, cross over play and back heels. In one notable drive up the sideline in front of the students, three different TU players put on their flashy moves and moved the ball on to the next player. Really entertaining. UK clearly frustrated by it. TU needed a defender to clear a shot off the goal line to keep this from being 2-1 or worse, but the teams were clearly evenly matched with TU clearly having the better talent at several positions. I’m starting to think our goalkeeper could play the 6 anywhere in college soccer if he wasn’t in the Top 10 best GK.

The red card was absolute garbage. The ref was sold on it because of the over blown reaction by the UK player, who ran off the field after the card was shown. The tackle on Mitchell Cashion in the 2nd half was worse both in its recklessness and the level of danger it put the player in.

TU absolutely dominated this game until that point. They looked a lot like the TU team of last year. Good movement, good passing, good overlapping g runs from both Will Edwards and Cashion. Starting MHS with Wells up top put a lot of pressure on UK and then bringing Meinhard and Taka off the bench put even more pressure on UK.

Much more encouraged for the rest of the season now. Was a little in the wondering if they just weren't connecting this year after the loss that wasn't to Wisconsin.

And give me the 5'10" Alex Lopez over the 6'4" tree UK trotted out between the pipes.

They played 15 as a false 9 and brought in 2 strikers with 4 minutes left with a high press. Mac played to win. Not something you would always see with this program 10 years ago.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU 1978
I notice our best player comes off the bench. Is he a little hurt still? What's the reason he does not get the start?

I notice our best player comes off the bench. Is he a little hurt still? What's the reason he does not get the start?
I don't think so. I think it was a strategy and game plan decision from Tom. UK had a CB that looked a lot like a DE. Probably about 6'2" and 250 lbs. Malik Henry Scott is a pro caliber forward. He's quick and exceptional from a technical standpoint. He puts a lot of pressure on defenders who try to go with him 1 v 1. Thomas Wells is super fast and puts a lot of pressure on backlines to be very precise. Meinhard is deceptively quick for a guy his size and his on ball technical skill has backlines giving him a ton of respect. At times they give him too much space, such as the goal he scored last night. They're so worried about him blowing by them they give him a lot of space to keep him in front of them and he hammers a shot from 25 yds that no GK in the world is getting to.

Taka is that pesky flea. He is the Antonia Reed of the soccer team. He's always in your face, he gets under opponents' skin and gets them focused on something that is not beneficial to their teams.

And let's talk about TU's 5'10" GK. Outside of his inability to punt the ball, this kid will make every save a 6'4" GK will make and he gives your team an additional field player to play the ball through. UK knew this and they essentially sat back and let TU pass the ball around in the back and didn't chase when the game was still 11 v 11 and TU was still able to find the spaces both wide and in the middle and created some really nice attack. TU was unlucky not to be up 2-0 when the red card came as MHS hammered that shot from 30 yds just wide and the GK was nowhere near it.

IMO, 11 v 11 TU was the better, more complete team.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
I have a question about the espn+ broadcast. Last year, I believe there was a different set of announcers for the games and we had one guy who was particularly good that doesn’t seem to be back this year.

I have a question about the espn+ broadcast. Last year, I believe there was a different set of announcers for the games and we had one guy who was particularly good that doesn’t seem to be back this year.
So Jeremie Poplin was the guy who was on most of the game calls for TU last year. He did the girls game last Thursday but I think he's trying to not do every game, especially on the weekends because of football (he's the TU sideline reporter), plus he's the program director for Blitz 1170. I think he's trying to take a day off every now and then as he has a 5 year old at home.

So Jeremie Poplin was the guy who was on most of the game calls for TU last year. He did the girls game last Thursday but I think he's trying to not do every game, especially on the weekends because of football (he's the TU sideline reporter), plus he's the program director for Blitz 1170. I think he's trying to take a day off every now and then as he has a 5 year old at home.
Who was the other guy who sounded like a soccer expert?

Who was the other guy who sounded like a soccer expert?
I was at the game so I haven't watched the online feed. I plan on doing so just so I can see why the ref decided on the red for the TU player vs the yellow for the UK player. Without the red, TU probably wins that game without much concern. They played keep away well at even strength and UKs attempts at quick counter attacks were largely ineffective.

I was at the game so I haven't watched the online feed. I plan on doing so just so I can see why the ref decided on the red for the TU player vs the yellow for the UK player. Without the red, TU probably wins that game without much concern. They played keep away well at even strength and UKs attempts at quick counter attacks were largely ineffective.
The other guy I’m referring to was on broadcasts last season for both men’s and women’s teams and was maybe from England?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT