ADVERTISEMENT

TU men's soccer

I thought he was going MLS?
He was invited to their draft ID camp along with Fazio but my guess is he was told he wasn't going to be a top pick so he'd be better off staying in college for the guaranteed playing time against high competition. Alex is a really good player, but he's not quite at the same level that Ryan Pore was when he left TU early, and Ryan struggled to find consistent playing time and minutes in MLS. Just think how crazy insanely talented the players are playing at that level. I mean look at FC Tulsa and how they basically man handled TU in a scrimmage. I understand the goals for each team were different as FC Tulsa is trying to fill out the last 3-4 spots on their roster and prepare to play an actual game that counts in a couple weeks. I mean pro teams have 15 players the caliber of Alex Meinhard from around the world. College teams are lucky to have 2-3 at that level...TU has been extremely fortunate to have that number plus a couple more the last couple years.

He was invited to their draft ID camp along with Fazio but my guess is he was told he wasn't going to be a top pick so he'd be better off staying in college for the guaranteed playing time against high competition. Alex is a really good player, but he's not quite at the same level that Ryan Pore was when he left TU early, and Ryan struggled to find consistent playing time and minutes in MLS. Just think how crazy insanely talented the players are playing at that level. I mean look at FC Tulsa and how they basically man handled TU in a scrimmage. I understand the goals for each team were different as FC Tulsa is trying to fill out the last 3-4 spots on their roster and prepare to play an actual game that counts in a couple weeks. I mean pro teams have 15 players the caliber of Alex Meinhard from around the world. College teams are lucky to have 2-3 at that level...TU has been extremely fortunate to have that number plus a couple more the last couple years.
C’mon dude. He was the 49th selection in the MLS draft …. But he has a foreign passport. Which means he takes up the same foreign player roster allocation as a Messi or Beckham. He’s playing for Europe or a deal later, if anything, but I have no idea about his situation. Agree the difference between college and even USL is a parsec of distance.

Reactions: TU_BLA
C’mon dude. He was the 49th selection in the MLS draft …. But he has a foreign passport. Which means he takes up the same foreign player roster allocation as a Messi or Beckham. He’s playing for Europe or a deal later, if anything, but I have no idea about his situation. Agree the difference between college and even USL is a parsec of distance.
OK, you're right. That's a mid 2nd round slot. But history shows that college players in the MLS super draft aren't experiencing a ton of success in MLS. I mean there are 3 former 1st round MLS picks (including the 2nd overall from a couple years ago) who will be on FC Tulsa's roster (4 total MLS Super Draft picks total). I mean the % of players who make lasting contributions to an MLS side coming out of college is really low actually. Let's be honest, players who come to play in college are not really getting contract offers for professional soccer when they're 17 or 18 which is why they're going to college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT