ADVERTISEMENT

TU in 1972

TU 1978

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2009
Name three things no longer present. Note - this picture is from 1972.

118866484_10158677045334146_2203339678895939779_o.jpg

The road (1), that red and white tower (2), and that building (can't remember the name) that looks like a bell tower (3) to the right of McFarlin. That is the bell that got moved to Bayless Plaza, isn't it...or am I remembering it wrong.

Reactions: TU 1978
The road (1), that red and white tower (2), and that building (can't remember the name) that looks like a bell tower (3) to the right of McFarlin. That is the bell that got moved to Bayless Plaza, isn't it...or am I remembering it wrong.

The road around the “U” is long gone. The red and white tower was the broadcast tower for KWGS. The bell tower sat on the original Kendall Hall which was a red brick building that didn’t match the later architecture of the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: old.guy
First of all, this pic is awesome. Thank you for posting it.

I agree about the Cougar. By “sweet” I meant “ugly”. Lol

I feel like the U going down from the library is on a much greater slope these days as well. There's a deck out in front of the library now.

Apparently the 'U' changed in 1976 with the addition of the big underground annex. The World did a nice article on it when they were debunking or verifying Tulsa myths in 2017

Apparently the 'U' changed in 1976 with the addition of the big underground annex. The World did a nice article on it when they were debunking or verifying Tulsa myths in 2017

Before I click on this, I'm not going to see Geraldo Rivera down there looking for the contents of Al Capone's vault, am I?

:ohno:

Reactions: HuffyCane

Is it also true that the University can’t construct anything between the portraits of John and Lottie Jane Mabee so that the can still “see” each other from their respective dorms?

Reactions: astonmartin708
Is it also true that the University can’t construct anything between the portraits of John and Lottie Jane Mabee so that the can still “see” each other from their respective dorms?
Folklore. There is no such restriction. At one point Stead had plans to build there as part of the pivot to the new U. I don’t even think the portraits are in the doorways anymore.

Folklore. There is no such restriction. At one point Stead had plans to build there as part of the pivot to the new U. I don’t even think the portraits are in the doorways anymore.
John was as of 2009 I believe. I never went in the front entrance of Lottie. lol.

• Haha

Lottie’s was there as recently as 2019. I would be very surprised if either has been removed.

Lottie’s was there as recently as 2019. I would be very surprised if either has been removed.
I’m pretty sure the one in the John is still there, but not in the entryway anymore facing out to the U. Haven’t been inside in about five years.

The white building (?) at the end of the drive... Is that part of the entrance to the old student union??

The white building (?) at the end of the drive... Is that part of the entrance to the old student union??

The building to the north of the library was Westby Center, the old student union - which wasn’t that old then. I was surprised when it was cast aside and removed.

The building to the north of the library was Westby Center, the old student union - which wasn’t that old then. I was surprised when it was cast aside and removed.
Asbestos. Couldn’t be remediated, as I recall. They tore it down my sophomore year. I still have a piece of the debris.

Westby, I think suffered some severe storm damage that compromised the integrity of the building along with the asbestos. It was a no win situation for the university. In the long run taking the insurance $$$$ and building the new ACAC was a better deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT