ADVERTISEMENT

Tu Fans

TulsaFanFromStigler

I.T.S. Junior
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2019
Tu Fans Are Allowed Smaller Capacity Im Guessing only season tickets holders and family members and students

I’m hearing the current plan from the admin is at best no fans and at worst no football. Athletics on the other hand has presented several different proposals, with and without fans. They continue to exchange information and are playing wait and see. I doubt we have fans. Probably 50-50 we don’t play. If we don’t play, I have serious doubts about the future of the program.

An act of the Oklahoma legislature granting immunity from tort claims to persons or entities hosting athletic competitions with paid attendance in excess of 2,500 would be helpful. But don’t hold your breath.

I’m hearing the current plan from the admin is at best no fans and at worst no football. Athletics on the other hand has presented several different proposals, with and without fans. They continue to exchange information and are playing wait and see. I doubt we have fans. Probably 50-50 we don’t play. If we don’t play, I have serious doubts about the future of the program.

An act of the Oklahoma legislature granting immunity from tort claims to persons or entities hosting athletic competitions with paid attendance in excess of 2,500 would be helpful. But don’t hold your breath.
That would be a really sad state of affairs if we didn't even take advantage of the increased tv revenue to see what that did for the football program and athletics in general. That is suppose to start this season correct? I would think the administration would want to see what that revenue does for the program during the first few years, before taking the huge step of eliminating football.

If football gets eliminated over covid19, it would seem the administration is using that as an excuse to do what some of them wanted to do all along.

Reactions: HuffyCane
That would be a really sad state of affairs if we didn't even take advantage of the increased tv revenue to see what that did for the football program and athletics in general. That is suppose to start this season correct? I would think the administration would want to see what that revenue does for the program during the first few years, before taking the huge step of eliminating football.

If football gets eliminated over covid19, it would seem the administration is using that as an excuse to do what some of them wanted to do all along.
Pretty much

If football did get eliminated, the remaining sports would eventually find themselves with a convenient cross town conference rivalry with ORU. How exciting.

If football did get eliminated, the remaining sports would eventually find themselves with a convenient cross town conference rivalry with ORU. How exciting.
I don’t think you’ll need to worry about the other sports, including basketball, if football goes.

I don’t think you’ll need to worry about the other sports, including basketball, if football goes.
Are you saying they will thrive? Minus the conference, basketball will suffer. That would be the excuse the conference wants, to kick us out, if we dropped football.

The other sports aren’t viable long term without football, including basketball. TU takes a loss on all of it. The loss is even greater without the football money, over time. At least that’s the way it’s been explained to me in years previous by those with access to the fundraising and expense books.

And that’s the conundrum. TU can’t take the hit to gross revenue and lost development opportunities by dropping sports and can’t continue to write deficit erasing checks. The only way out is lowering expenses and the lowered expectations that goes with it, until one of our egghead millennials hits the jackpot with a start up and decides to become a football fan. Or pull a Stead and borrow to cover the gap after the Case seed money. Until then, lowered expectations and inability to fund raise feeds the perception the entire program is not worth it. Which leads to ideas of dropping football until you see what football pays for (pretty much the majority of everything else with main campus making up those gaps).

Last edited:
There was mention of legislation from the Oklahoma legislature to absolve liability. At this point, the legislature is not in session. It would take a call for a Special Session. I doubt there will be a special session for Football. I think there may be a need for a special session due to the Open Meeting Law. Currently State and Municipal meeting are being held virtually or by hybrid manner. Those platforms are only because of a March 2020 act which permits virtual meetings. That act requires 30 day actions of the Governor. It expires on November 15th. I do not know what we (City Board I am on) will do after November 15.

A special session would need to be called soon to help football liability. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would probably have more pull to get such a special session than TU.

Last edited:
There was mention of legislation from the Oklahoma legislature to absolve liability. At this point, the legislature is not in session. It would take a call for a Special Session. I doubt there will be a special session for Football. I think there may be a need for a special session due to the Opening Meeting Law. Currently State and Municipal meeting are being held virtually or by hybrid manner. Those platforms are only because of a March 2020 act which permits virtual meetings. That act requires 30 day actions of the Governor. It expires on November 15th. I do not know what we (City Board I am on) will do after November 15.

A special session would need to be called soon to help football liability. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would probably have more pull to get such a special session than TU.
OU and OSU have sovereign immunity protections, arguably, that TU does not enjoy.

Dang, that would be horrible. I'm concerned.

The Oklahoma Legislature did pass the following (excerpt of Act) in May 2020:

"Oklahoma Provides Tort Immunity for Exposure, or Potential Exposure, by “Any Person Conducting Business” that Follows Guidance Issued By At Least Two Health Authorities. In Oklahoma, Senate Bill 1946 was passed and signed into law on May 21, 2020, providing any person conducting business immunity against a claim for injury from exposure or even potential exposure to the coronavirus “if the act or omission alleged to violate a duty of care of the person or agent was in compliance or consistent with federal or state regulations, a Presidential or Gubernatorial Executive Order, or guidance applicable at the time of the alleged exposure.” Businesses reopening in Oklahoma can attempt to reduce their liability by following the government guidance announced at the time of the alleged exposure found within at least two of the following sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Oklahoma Safety and Health Administration, the Oklahoma State Department of Health, the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, state or federal regulations, or a presidential or gubernatorial executive order."

I have been reading different stories about OU and OSU football. OU 20,000 and everyone wears a mask. OSU the numbers in the stadium will fluctuate. OSU does not talk about masks, but they did sell all of the suites for the 2020 season.

I also do not agree that OU and OSU sports would have sovereign immunity. Usually sovereign immunity is for purely governmental functions. Sovereign immunity does not apply to proprietary actions. Proprietary actions are those that could also be performed by a non-governmental entity. Because of private schools like TU, ORU, Notre Dame, Duquesne University etc. college sports is proprietary and not governmental.

Also, Oklahoma has a Tort Claim Act to sue for governmental negligence claims. It does not offer much in the way of compensation. For an entire stadium made sick by the virus the total of claims allowed for one situation would be $1 million.

I also do not agree that OU and OSU sports would have sovereign immunity. Usually sovereign immunity is for purely governmental functions. Sovereign immunity does not apply to proprietary actions. Proprietary actions are those that could also be performed by a non-governmental entity. Because of private schools like TU, ORU, Notre Dame, Duquesne University etc. college sports is proprietary and not governmental.

Also, Oklahoma has a Tort Claim Act to sue for governmental negligence claims. It does not offer much in the way of compensation. For an entire stadium made sick by the virus the total of claims allowed for one situation would be $1 million.
Notice I said “arguably“.

From what I understand, the TU band will be limited to percussion and flag corps at home games this season. No wind instruments will be present. Fortunately, their music scholarships will be honored.

Still no word on capacity for fans. Anyone have inside info on this?

For comparison purposes, the local high school is capping sales at 30% of capacity with no general admission sales at all. Band will be seniors only with bell covers required for wind instruments.

OSU is planning on allowing a limited % of fans. I would assume the same for OU.

If you space out the fans & require masks I think it makes sense to allow a 25% full outdoor stadium.

I would sell season tickets only & require fans to sign a release of liability to the schools. If you attend a game, you should bear the responsibility for the Covid risk.

OSU is planning on allowing a limited % of fans. I would assume the same for OU.

If you space out the fans & require masks I think it makes sense to allow a 25% full outdoor stadium.

I would sell season tickets only & require fans to sign a release of liability to the schools. If you attend a game, you should bear the responsibility for the Covid risk.

We essentially invented social distancing with our fan base for years.

Shouldn't be a problem. Most people will stay home anyway. Liability is silly lawyer talk. Never will happen.

GO TU!!!!

I never tagged you as a conspiracy theory guy but the longer time passes, I see you are slowly coming over to the dark side

I never tagged you as a conspiracy theory guy but the longer time passes, I see you are slowly coming over to the dark side
That has nothing to do with conspiracy. HuffyCane has knowledge and insight into the inner workings of the sports program. And that was his educated guess.

Conspiracies are built on complete leaps of faith, built on top of other wild leaps of faith. They have just enough knowledge to sound like they might know what they are talking about, when they generally don't. They come from sources with little to no inside knowledge or real understanding of how things actually work. And those sources are often technologically ignorant and mentally unfit to handle life as a whole. HuffyCane doesn't fit into any of these categories. Or are you trying to imply otherwise?

That has nothing to do with conspiracy. HuffyCane has knowledge and insight into the inner workings of the sports program. And that was his educated guess.

Conspiracies are built on complete leaps of faith, built on top of other wild leaps of faith. They have just enough knowledge to sound like they might know what they are talking about, when they generally don't. They come from sources with little to no inside knowledge or real understanding of how things actually work. And those sources are often technologically ignorant and mentally unfit to handle life as a whole. HuffyCane doesn't fit into any of these categories. Or are you trying to imply otherwise?
Your words your thoughts not mine! In your stream of logic, you are relying almost exclusively on what’s in the mainstream to help shape your opinion. I personally don’t prescribe to that but I also won’t condemn you for not thinking that way. Nobody knows it all but one thing I learned long ago is to question everything.

Your words your thoughts not mine! In your stream of logic, you are relying almost exclusively on what’s in the mainstream to help shape your opinion. I personally don’t prescribe to that but I also won’t condemn you for not thinking that way. Nobody knows it all but one thing I learned long ago is to question everything.
I am really critical of non main stream sources because there is good reason to be. The facts aren't always prevalent. I still listen, but with heavier skepticism.

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT