ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

Man, I would’ve never come up with that name. For some reason, I kept thinking Craig as a first name. As in Craig Nettles, who was an a- hole.
Well, I can’t blame you. The list of flashes in the pan is pretty long.

I'd say Burns, DeRuyter, and Odom would be an equitable comparison.
They reported that Odom turned down the TU job because TU would not
make the financial commitment to be a serious program and he wasn't talking
about coaches salaries . TU just wants to constantly talk about how they have the
smallest student enrollment and the minimal administrative support , I don't believe
adding fireworks at the stadium is going to take TU football to the promise land .

about coaches salaries . TU just wants to constantly talk about how they have the
smallest student enrollment and the minimal administrative support , I don't believe
adding fireworks at the stadium is going to take TU football to the promise land .
Makes sense. It seems like most coaches nowadays want that financial commitment to improve facilities to give them every advantage. If this is true, there is no way TU football lasts in the FBS.

That’s the story from the Odom camp… not necessarily the truth.

That’s the story from the Odom camp… not necessarily the truth.
Yeah, I'm highly skeptical of that explanation. Maybe Odom realizes that he, Odom, is not the kind of coach who can be successful if he has less than all the bells, whistles and amenities, so he insisted on it. Others said he's not Mr. Engaging Personality. In which case, it's a good outcome both ways since that's not the kind of coach we need.

Honesty is such a lonely word.

Makes sense. It seems like most coaches nowadays want that financial commitment to improve facilities to give them every advantage. If this is true, there is no way TU football lasts in the FBS.
There really is no way we last at any level if this is true.. once the media money disappears it will become very difficult to justify a football program..

Reactions: goldenhurricane1992
To be fair, Odom is not the type of candidate I would throw money at. If he has overestimated his value then so be it
Unless he's talking bout money for his coordinators, I wouldn't throw money at him either.

Unless he's talking bout money for his coordinators, I wouldn't throw money at him either.
Feels to me like this is just more confirmation that he isn't the guy. This was his story for why it didn't work out at Misery, too. Doesn't seem like the scrappy, make it work kind of coach we need.

Feels to me like this is just more confirmation that he isn't the guy. This was his story for why it didn't work out at Misery, too. Doesn't seem like the scrappy, make it work kind of coach we need.
He's probably not. If his dishonest excuse is that, then he probably would have used that same excuse as to why he got fired in a few years.

Was told it was a done deal at 3:07 pm yesterday (posted here at 3:10 pm). Then there was a hiccup. Wilson was a little mad he wasn’t the first choice. I guess they sorted things out.

I mean really? The guy is almost 25 games below .500 as a head coach
I don't understand the coaching talent pool we focused on. Seems like we were fixated on a coordinator at a big school who had flamed out as a HC somewhere else. What, I wonder, attracts you to that profile? At least Wilson has experience at schools not in a P5 conference, so that's better than Odom.

Indiana is a BAD BAD football program in a tough conference. I'm not letting that sway my judgment.
That is true. However, Wilson has the worst winning percentage there of Indiana’s last 4 coaches. Still a solid and SAFE hire imo.

As retreads go losing at Indiana is not the biggest ding.
That is the best reaction to I hire that I've ever seen. I can almost see the look on your face. It's that look you get when you take a slug of milk only to realize it's a week past the best by date.

Reactions: drboobay
In the age of the portal and offense I think it's a great hire. If he can hire a good DC then I think he will win here. That is a HUGE hire for us.
You sound like my wife trying to get the kids to eat broccoli. Maybe you can make little choo choo noises as you try to sell us on him. It's an ok hire. Not inspirational or visionary but probably better than what we had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT