ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

I think the issue is those experienced coaches that want to come to TU are the ones whose experience is not so good. The ones who have good experience have no desire to come here. The younger ones who have yet to cut their teeth are the decent ones who will come here for the chance. There aren't too many good coaches who got a raw deal, and are willing to come here for the opportunity.

waiting for the big anouncement.
It all ends tonight for Phillip if Tulsa is not too cash strapped and fire him tomorrow at the latest and put a $2 Million dollar annual salary amount offer on the line. If they don’t they really are strapped for cash no matter how many improvements they make to the game day experience fans will not continue to support decades of losing in the future as in the past.

It all ends tonight for Phillip if Tulsa is not too cash strapped and fire him tomorrow at the latest and put a $2 Million dollar annual salary amount offer on the line. If they don’t they really are strapped for cash no matter how many improvements they make to the game day experience fans will not continue to support decades of losing in the future as in the past.
Suspect you will be waiting till monday

I forgot , how many days did they wait after Haiths last game until they made the decision

I can't believe I have to do this.....

Huffy is far more often wrong then right and while they may or may not have insights into the academic side (I'm not going to say inside info since they are almost always vague and mostly reflect academic management group think as chito pointed out) they have certainly not been accurate at predictions in athletics.

I will say Huffy seems to have good knowledge of events after they happen and the dynamics, but when it comes to being in the "know" about what is going to happen the record is very sparse.

Still waiting on some big announcements that were promised a couple years ago, the whole nonsense with Janet and the in faction fighting, Haith, etc.

I can affirm that both current and former recent players are concerned that Monty may be fired, what that actually means IDK. But two current players and three who have played there in the last two or three think it a very real possibility.
I think there are people that were thought of as "good sources" because they understood the university game and could predict outcomes based on knowing how it's played. Problem is there's a new game at TU now and guesses based on old game rules are not very valuable. What exactly the new game is, we're still seeing, but I think some prior "good sources" would be like asking a guy from 1950 how to run a book store today or asking a guy from 1970 to predict which NBA teams are good today.

Huffy for a while was like TASS or Pravda but I think those were more the Janet days..

Last edited:
Reactions: ctt8410
I think there are people that were thought of as "good sources" because they understood the university game and could predict outcomes based on knowing how it's played. Problem is there's a new game at TU now and guesses based on old game rules are not very valuable. What exactly the new game is, we're still seeing, but I think some prior "good sources" would be like asking a guy from 1950 how to run a book store today or asking a guy from 1970 to predict which NBA teams are good today.

Huffy for a while was like TASS or Pravda but I think those were more the Janet days..
I am somewhat confident that Huffy has contacts in the new regime. I believe he was being diplomatic while the administration was working behind the scenes. His comments were always telling both sides of the decision process.

You may be better off trusting Huffy over 4Ever.

Channel 2’s list:

Joe Gillespie
Matt Wells
Justin Fuente
Seth Littrell
Barry Lunney
GJ Kinne
Todd Graham
Brennan Marion

I hope they’re joking about Graham.

No insider info here, but I ran into GJ at Chipotle when he was on Chad Morris's staff at SMU a few years ago. GJ told me his wife is a Tulsa native and was a cheerleader at TU and would love for them to come back to Tulsa. Maybe it's the right time...

You may be better off trusting Huffy over 4Ever.

Sure, I mean clearly...........

Only one of us claims to have inside knowledge.

Either way Blue I am happy to say we are both completely on the same side now. Instead of 75% of the time.

My nieces and nephews will get new TU gear for xmas just like they use too. I get to restart my niece's and my golden hurricane club/championship fund and I get new season tickets for me and a plus 1, I can buy my brother's family pack season tickets, and now I can start my niece with her first set of season tickets.

You have no idea how happy I am to be able to support more than just our women's basketball program again. Change is good!

Sure, I mean clearly...........

Only one of us claims to have inside knowledge.

Either way Blue I am happy to say we are both completely on the same side now. Instead of 75% of the time.

My nieces and nephews will get new TU gear for xmas just like they use too. I get to restart my niece's and my golden hurricane club/championship fund and I get new season tickets for me and a plus 1, I can buy my brother's family pack season tickets, and now I can start my niece with her first set of season tickets.

You have no idea how happy I am to be able to support more than just our women's basketball program again. Change is good!
That bat signal got to you quick. It must be a clear night.

Kinne, Marion, Odom, Fuente, Wells, Garrick McGee. Separate article on the Athletic also mentions KC Keeler and Van Malone.
Van Malone is an interesting name I haven't thought of in awhile. Garrick McGee I put up there with Graham & Morris & the like. Not a good idea.

That bat signal got to you quick. It must be a clear night.

Lol something like that, there was no reason to beat the dead horse any more. When current and former players began to feel like he was in trouble I knew it was probably time to start watching.

The only thing I have ever experienced like this is when Cleveland lost the Browns and I quit watching nfl football.

Van Malone is an interesting name I haven't thought of in awhile. Garrick McGee I put up there with Graham & Morris & the like. Not a good idea.
I had what I felt like was good information that Garrick McGee would be named our HC in 2011 replacing TG. Interviews occurred, etc…and we ended up hiring Bill Blankenship. 🤷‍♂️

I had what I felt like was good information that Garrick McGee would be named our HC in 2011 replacing TG. Interviews occurred, etc…and we ended up hiring Bill Blankenship. 🤷‍♂️
I had a chuckle with you. I felt he was bad then, and don't have any reason to feel any different now.

If I remember correctly, wasn't that the same thing pooper scooper thought at the time?

I had a chuckle with you. I felt he was bad then, and don't have any reason to feel any different now.

If I remember correctly, wasn't that the same thing pooper scooper thought at the time?
Yup. One of the TW journalist who covered TU at the time believed it was a done deal. Assumed they had decent sources. No clue what happened

Yup. One of the TW journalist who covered TU at the time believed it was a done deal. Assumed they had decent sources. No clue what happened
I think there was something from his playing days at ASU or OU that caused pause.

@Chris Harmon Arkansas fan here! Was just wondering, how realistic a candidate is Barry Odom for you guys? A lot of us here at Arkansas actually want him gone (every defensive stat regressed this season). Thanks!

@Chris Harmon Arkansas fan here! Was just wondering, how realistic a candidate is Barry Odom for you guys? A lot of us here at Arkansas actually want him gone (every defensive stat regressed this season). Thanks!
It's early, but my sources in the University and the program have not specifically mentioned Odom. There is a thread in Hurricane Alley (our subscriber forum) called "Candidates", where I'm posting the info I'm getting.

Reactions: RileyWPS
I'm thinking we aren't going to rescue you on this one. Don't think he's a candidate except in the minds of a few media folk.

You guys fooled us once with Keith Burns cannot let it happen again. We tried our best to get you to take Dr Gragg as your AD and you wouldn’t do it but that would have been payback enough for the KB fiasco 😆

Kinne, Marion, Odom, Fuente, Wells, Garrick McGee. Separate article on the Athletic also mentions KC Keeler and Van Malone.
My inside sources, by which I mean the voices I hear in my head, are telling me to think about someone who is willing and able to support Carson's vision of football as a Tulsa community event. Energetic, personable, willing and able to engage positively with the fan base and community. Charming and charismatic. If that person is a TU guy then even better.

TU had people in the past who made stupid decisions. Carson won't make a stupid decision. I highly doubt he'll be taking damaged goods off someone else's hands. Sorry.

• Sad
McGee was 5-19 at UAB, his only 2 seasons as a FBS head coach. I think some of these “insiders reports” are actually just coaches or their agents putting their name out there, but doesn’t indicate TU has any serious interest in them. I would put McGee, Patterson & Graham ( & several others) in this category.

How about Micky Joseph, the Nebraska interim coach. I believe he is originally from Louisiana?
Bro, this is an excellent thought and an outside the box candidate. My understanding is fans in Nebraska really liked him, the players responded well to him. I work with a Nebraska alum and she liked Joseph and thought he should be given a fair shot but knew that the admin at NU would go for a splash hire.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT