ADVERTISEMENT

TU Coaching Candidates

In this day and age we need a candidate that will attract quality players in the portal to fill some major gaps.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
why? he had a good record for lots of years
I think I read he was ready for a change. He is very intense, had been there a long time first as DC then HC, oversaw the move from the WAC, to CUSA, to MWC, to BE (did they ever play a game there?) and then B12.

In no particular order: GJ Kinne, Brennan Marion, Tino Sunseri, Bobby Hauck, Matt Entz, Warren Ruggiero

Reactions: TU 1978
I'm looking at the first cross-sport coach. Konkol! I'm playing y'all!!

If you're going to take a Texas assistant, hard pass on Patterson and consider Brennan Marion instead.
Taking a position coach who has never been even a coordinator at the D1 level is a risky venture. Ask yourself this….would Marion be a legitimate candidate for a HC job like TU if he hadn’t played here? I say no.

I like Kinne if we’re going with an alum

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Taking a position coach who has never been even a coordinator at the D1 level is a risky venture. Ask yourself this….would Marion be a legitimate candidate for a HC job like TU if he hadn’t played here? I say no.

Marion has plenty of experience and success that I would take over the present coach.

Grab him as Kinne's OC.

Marion has plenty of experience and success that I would take over the present coach.

Grab him as Kinne's OC.
OC for Kinne would be a nice spot for Marion. He needs D1 coordinator experience imo. There are very few people I wouldn’t take over Monty. We know what he is.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM

That's the one thing that will knock down Marion this go around but IMHO, I think he's going to knock it out of the park as a head coach in both the program management area (including recruiting) and game management aspects.

Grab him as Kinne's OC.
He'd probably have to take a pay cut, but the experience would lead to greater things.(financially and otherwise)

He might even take over for Kinne, if Kinne got scooped up in 3-5 years, by P5. Could see him being named as associate hc,(2nd or 3rd season) for prestige, and recognition as to what might happen in a few years.

Would so love for Marion to succeed here as OC and/or HC. Would put it in Monty's face, what a mistake he made.(and what an idiot he was about oc)

Last edited:
You literally just described Monty when we hired him. And Wojick. And Burns. And Michael Jordan's roommate.
I also described Bill Self … I could also say the last time we hired an “experienced “ guy , we ended up with Haith. One of our bigger problems then the hiring is the refusing to fire them when it’s clear they won’t get the job done

Reactions: t-townpod
Watch out for age discrimination here.

Seems to be the main type of bias that is still OK in the workplace.

I also described Bill Self … I could also say the last time we hired an “experienced “ guy , we ended up with Haith. One of our bigger problems then the hiring is the refusing to fire them when it’s clear they won’t get the job done
We have no successful model - we've had nothing but bad hires since Kragthorpe in 2007. I'd guess if you looked big picture beyond TU, the success rate for older guys is not less than for young and hungry guys. I just wouldn't get hung up on a "type". We've managed to pick bad coaches of all types.

Reactions: TULSARISING
We have no successful model - we've had nothing but bad hires since Kragthorpe in 2007. I'd guess if you looked big picture beyond TU, the success rate for older guys is not less than for young and hungry guys. I just wouldn't get hung up on a "type". We've managed to pick bad coaches of all types.
Uh, Graham was pretty damn successful here

Watch out for age discrimination here.

Seems to be the main type of bias that is still OK in the workplace.
I think the issue is those experienced coaches that want to come to TU are the ones whose experience is not so good. The ones who have good experience have no desire to come here. The younger ones who have yet to cut their teeth are the decent ones who will come here for the chance. There aren't too many good coaches who got a raw deal, and are willing to come here for the opportunity.

Here's what we should do - have the committee pick 5 finalists. Then think about it really hard and pick the person they want to hire. Just that simple. Throw that person's name in the garbage and pick one of the other 4 out of a hat.

Geez, Graham in 2007. Got the year right but name switched. Just wait, it'll happen to you too...
😂 Bro, I'm already there. My wife constantly gets on me about remembering the most minute of details from a sporting event 25 years ago but I can't remember what she asked me to pick up on the way home from work on any given day.

With Haith we hired a guy with a Sh!t ton of baggage to go along with his experience. He was reformed however, and certainly learned his lessons at his previous stops. Obviously he didn't perform any of his covert operations here and we got to see his real coaching prowess for seven very long years. The writing was on the wall when Gragg brought that dumpster fire to campus.

Reactions: TULSARISING
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT