ADVERTISEMENT

TU baseball broadcast from the 1960s

TU 1978

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2009
Remember that in the late 1960s TU was the College World Series runner up.

My father and I went to a TU-USC game at Oiler park in the early 70s. There were a couple of idiots heckling Trojan right fielder Anthony Davis with racist language until the old man went down and put a stop to it. He never told me what he said to those guys.

After the game we got to meet Anthony, his coach and some of his teammates at their team bus. I’ve still got his autograph around here somewhere.

I remember that series in '74. During the series, the USC team ate meals at LaFortune Hall (budgets were a lot smaller in those days). The USC players all sat with each other, except for Anthony Davis, who sat by himself.

I was up in the rickety old Oiler Park press box during the series and wasn't aware of the heckling. That's unfortunate.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I was up in the rickety old Oiler Park press box during the series and wasn't aware of the heckling. That's unfortunate.

Those guys were what I would have called hippies back then but the former WW2 fighter pilot probably called them draft dodgers. I’m sure he scared the **** out of them.

It was enough to get noticed by the visiting team and get an invite to come meet them.

So much history with many of our programs that extends past what happens on the field. Thanks for sharing these stories.

My father and I went to a TU-USC game at Oiler park in the early 70s. There were a couple of idiots heckling Trojan right fielder Anthony Davis with racist language until the old man went down and put a stop to it. He never told me what he said to those guys.

After the game we got to meet Anthony, his coach and some of his teammates at their team bus. I’ve still got his autograph around here somewhere.
Props to your old man!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT