ADVERTISEMENT

TU Announces Furloughs

Sad. I’ll give you a silver lining. This should end much of the debate. My favorite philosophy professor is still writing chitty things about the plan, even after students had left. Some folks just don’t get it.

I really believe the university will be fine. There’s an opportunity for people to get realistic. And that includes the people pushing for the changes. But seriously, Howland whining was really the last straw for me. There are bigger things going on in the world right now. If you are unable to understand or adjust to that, I’m extremely concerned about your ability to teach the next generation of TU students.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Last week, students received a refund check for 7/17th of this semester’s room and board.

That amount was based on the weeks remaining in the semester after they formally closed the halls and houses on March 20. It was not made retroactive to when they closed the campus on March 11.

Last week, students received a refund check for 7/17th of this semester’s room and board.

That amount was based on the weeks remaining in the semester after they formally closed the halls and houses on March 20. It was not made retroactive to when they closed the campus on March 11.
They didn't really close campus on the 11th. That upcoming week was Spring break so students were out of class then at that point anyway.

They didn't really close campus on the 11th. That upcoming week was Spring break so students were out of class then at that point anyway.

They weren’t quite out of class yet.

Students were told on Tuesday evening 3/10 that all classes were transitioning to online effective Wednesday 3/11. They were strongly encouraged to go home and remain off campus until April 5. Later, this was extended this to the rest of the semester.

On Thursday afternoon 3/19 they were told that they had until 5 pm on Friday the 20th to return and get their stuff or they would have to wait until May 11 at the earliest to return.

I’m surprised he totally left. Then again, I’m not. This is a hard job. We need to bring in someone with energy and the people to engage people. (Not saying that wasn’t Clancy.). I don’t hate Levit like some others do, but think this will be a monumental task and maybe we need someone different.

Maybe Levit does the dirty work that has to be done and they bring in someone to be the good person later.

Either way, I think this is going to be the end of a lot of silliness. It will also be sad for some people who have invested time and money and more in the university.

I’m surprised he totally left. Then again, I’m not. This is a hard job. We need to bring in someone with energy and the people to engage people. (Not saying that wasn’t Clancy.). I don’t hate Levit like some others do, but think this will be a monumental task and maybe we need someone different.

Maybe Levit does the dirty work that has to be done and they bring in someone to be the good person later.

Either way, I think this is going to be the end of a lot of silliness. It will also be sad for some people who have invested time and money and more in the university.
It certainly eliminates any doubt about whether he was fired. I agree that any glimmer of hope that TU could continue being a decent quality university as opposed to a vo-tech are gone. I suppose it is silliness for those of us who left TU 30 years ago to still care so much about the little educational jewel that TU used to be, and to see it degraded so thoroughly. It's hard to see a place I love and got so much from being positioned like a third-rate regional state school. It would be easier if the current plan was necessary but there's no doubt it's agenda driven rather than financially driven. Oh well, I have found that the last few months have made it easier to give up on some of these nostalgic things.

The current situation might be good for TU in the short-run as people who otherwise would get jobs end up in school instead until the job market recovers. They're also the most likely to drop out (a challenge for any vo-tech) but that's a problem for another day.

The things Levit has to do are hard and anyone doing them will be unpopular but she seems to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort gratuitously pissing people off. I'm not sure if she just likes it or doesn't have the interpersonal/psychological ability to operate any other way but I don't think it's helpful.

Is Geoffrey Orsak available? After all, you said something about pissing people off, or maybe he could just piss on ‘em.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT