ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Media release...

Tulsa Announces 2020 Football Schedule

Skelly Field at H.A. Chapman Stadium celebrates its 90th Season

TULSA, Okla. –– A total of seven Bowl teams from the 2019 season highlight Tulsa’s 2020 football schedule, it was announced today.

Bowl teams on the Tulsa home schedule include American Athletic Conference opponents Cincinnati, SMU and Tulane, while road games with 2019 Bowl participants come against non-conference foes Oklahoma State and Arkansas State and league teams UCF and Navy.

Tulsa opens the season and its 90th year at Skelly Field at H.A. Chapman Stadium as its home field when Mid-American Conference opponent Toledo visits the Golden Hurricane on Sept. 5. The two teams will meet for the first time since a high-scoring affair in 2017 as the Rockets captured a 54-51 win on a last-second field goal.

H.A. Chapman Stadium opened as Skelly Field on October 3, 1930.

The Hurricane will travel the Cimarron Turnpike a week later to face the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Sept. 12. Tulsa and OSU will be facing each other for the second consecutive season, as the Cowboys visited Chapman Stadium in 2019.

Tulsa returns home on Sept. 19 against Northwestern State, while a week later the Hurricane will close out the non-league schedule with a trip to Jonesboro, Arkansas, to face the Arkansas State Red Wolves on Sept. 26.

“Our preseason schedule is still very difficult with quality teams,” said Tulsa Head Coach Philip Montgomery. “I love that we’re able to open up at home on a Saturday in front of our fans with a really quality opponent like Toledo. They have been very successful in recent years.”

“Oklahoma State will have an outstanding football team with virtually everybody coming back for them for the first of our two non-league road games. Arkansas State has been near or at the top of their league for the last 5-6 years,” added Montgomery.

The American Athletic Conference schedule, which has the Hurricane traveling east for three road games –– two in Florida and one in Maryland, kicks off for Tulsa on the first weekend of October.

Tulsa travels to Orlando, Fla., to open The American season against the UCF Knights. Tulsa holds an 8-3 series advantage against the Knights after winning last year’s contest 34-31 at Chapman Stadium. UCF compiled an overall 10-3 mark in 2019 after going the previous two regular seasons with no losses.

After an open date (Oct. 10), Tulsa will host Cincinnati for Homecoming on Oct. 17. It’s the first meeting against the Bearcats in Tulsa since 2016. Last year, the #21-ranked Bearcats, who finished the campaign with an 11-3 record, claimed a 24-13 victory at Nippert Stadium.

Tulsa returns to the state of Florida the next Saturday to square-off against the USF Bulls at Tampa’s Raymond James Stadium on October 23, the first of two straight Friday night games for the Hurricane. Tulsa and USF last met in Tampa in 2017.

The Hurricane closes out the month of October with a visit from the ECU Pirates for another Friday night game, Oct. 30, as Tulsa will be looking for its third straight win in the series. Tulsa closed out the 2019 season with a 49-24 road win over the Pirates.

The Midshipmen of Navy, who finished last season with an overall 11-2 record and 20-17 win over Kansas State in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, is on the schedule next as Tulsa travels to Annapolis, Maryland, on Nov. 7.

Two straight home games against SMU (Nov. 14) and Tulane (Nov. 21) close out Tulsa’s 2020 home schedule. SMU finished 2019 with a 10-3 record, while the Green Wave completed the year with a 7-6 mark and a 30-13 win over Southern Miss in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl.

The Hurricane will close out the regular season with a trip to Texas to face the Houston Cougars on Nov. 28.

“We have both Florida teams on the road. Cincinnati has been outstanding the last two years and Navy, with the turn-around they had last year, has nearly always been at the top of the West Division,” said Montgomery. “East Carolina has a lot of talent returning. SMU had a great season last year and Tulane, also a bowl team last season, continues to reload. Then, we end the regular season with an always tough Houston team on the road Thanksgiving weekend. Obviously, it’s going to be a very competitive conference schedule.”

Tulsa football season ticket renewals are ongoing. Season tickets for new purchasers will go on sale beginning March 2.

2020 Tulsa Football Schedule

SEPTEMBER

5 TOLEDO (6-6, 3-5 MAC)

12 at Oklahoma State (8-5, 5-4 Big 12)

19 NORTHWESTERN STATE (3-9, 3-6 Southland)

26 at Arkansas State (8-5, 5-3 Sun Belt)

OCTOBER

3 at UCF* (10-3, 6-2 AAC)

17 CINCINNATI* (11-3, 7-1 AAC) HOMECOMING

23 (Fri.) at USF* (4-8, 2-6 AAC) an ESPN Network’

30 (Fri.) EAST CAROLINA* (4-8, 1-7 AAC) ‘an ESPN Network’

NOVEMBER

7 at Navy* (11-2, 7-1 AAC)

14 SMU* (10-3, 6-2 AAC)

21 TULANE* (7-6, 3-5 AAC)

28 at Houston* (4-8, 2-6 AAC)

Bold CAPS indicate Home Games
*indicates American Athletic Conference Games

ERFQYGLWsAE9shd

We could be bowl eligible before the end of October.

3-1 Aug/September
2-2 October (we could pull another out, never know what UCF will be)
2-2 November (that's conservative, could be 3-1)

No Memphis?

We miss Temple and Memphis this year.

Not bad. If we could of moved the Cincy game to our open week it would have been nice for the road trip short week. That friday ECU home game is probably going to be empty.

It's a record that should give us 7 or 8 wins, but with Monty managing the game situations we might get 4.

ERFQYGLWsAE9shd

3-1 Aug/September

"Thats some damn good crack...".. Whitney Houston

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ERFQYGLWsAE9shd

3-1 Aug/September
Knowing Monty we’ll probably lose to arkansas state. Yes, we might have gotten a favorable schedule but I know Montgomery will be able to coach this roster to a 4-8 season.

Outside of a new years bowl, what is the best bowl our conference can go to.
College Football Playoff, Capital One Orange Bowl, or the GoodYear Cotton Bowl are guaranteed to the conference champion if they are the highest ranked team in the G5.

There is no pecking order beyond that. Selections are made by the bowls in consultation with the schools and the conference based on geography, matchup compatibility and other factors. The best next year is either the Military Bowl against the ACC or the Birmingham against the SEC. I would say Military for its $2 million payday. We would keep roughly half.

Here’s the list:

American Athletic Conference Bowl Lineup (2020-25)
Annual Appearances

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following
Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

College Football Playoff, Capital One Orange Bowl, or the GoodYear Cotton Bowl are guaranteed to the conference champion if they are the highest ranked team in the G5.

There is no pecking order beyond that. Selections are made by the bowls in consultation with the schools and the conference based on geography, matchup compatibility and other factors. The best next year is either the Military Bowl against the ACC or the Birmingham against the SEC. I would say Military for its $2 million payday. We would keep roughly half.

Here’s the list:

American Athletic Conference Bowl Lineup (2020-25)
Annual Appearances

Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following
Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

We also have the back up for the Liberty and Independence bowl. In 2022 I believe the Independence is assigned to the AAC.

We also have the back up for the Liberty and Independence bowl. In 2022 I believe the Independence is assigned to the AAC.
2022 Independence Bowl will be AAC vs host Army. The deal with the Liberty Bowl was not renewed beyond 2019 to the best of my recollection. A brief scan of AAC media materials doesn’t show any mention of the deal beyond 2019. So I think that’s over.

2022 Independence Bowl will be AAC vs host Army. The deal with the Liberty Bowl was not renewed beyond 2019 to the best of my recollection. A brief scan of AAC media materials doesn’t show any mention of the deal beyond 2019. So I think that’s over.

It was brought up on the conference board. We have a back up to the Liberty and are the back up for the Independence for every year but 2022. CUSA is the Indy's other back up on years they aren't primary.

That’s news to the Conference media archives, the bowl’s own webpage and wiki

I wish TU had someone who could create a clever announcement like Air Force did. Great promotional material.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
TU does have someone capable of doing that. Actually, the football side of things has their own digital media person and he's very capable of doing things like that.
Exactly this. Took the poo-bahs ten years and we didn’t get it until it didn’t matter but we aren’t radio silence on Twitter anymore.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
In fact, our schedule announcement video on Instagram was really good. One of the best schedule announcements I’ve seen.
That's a Sam creation. He's really good at what he does. I keep thinking there is something even more with takes from pop culture, like the Avengers, that could really get some notice. And he always does some great stuff for recruiting visits on the football side.

That’s a great video! Never saw it before now.

Not that it’s a problem, but where should we be looking for these things? Twitter? Instagram? YouTube? Podcasts? Is it just me, or does it seem like a fragmented approach?

Reactions: HuffyCane
That's a Sam creation. He's really good at what he does. I keep thinking there is something even more with takes from pop culture, like the Avengers, that could really get some notice. And he always does some great stuff for recruiting visits on the football side.
Sam’s a very nice guy to work with. He’s a very good media mind.

I was looking for something else but happened across this and knew an official source had said that we still had the back up. Here is the quote and article. It is odd it's been so meh as far as announcement.

Quote:The AAC also will remain a secondary tie-in with the Liberty Bowl if the SEC or Big 12 doesn't fill its slot.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...325245001/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT