ADVERTISEMENT

TU Admissions Note

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
My daughter is a BK senior and I was able to persuade her to apply to TU (among 10 schools or so). I think she wants to get out of town, but she put her hat into the ring.

Anyway, I found out today that all the BK kids who applied to TU and who were accepted will be getting their letters handed out in a group setting tomorrow at school. I've not heard of that before, and it seems like a smart way to go. Kids don't always know where their fellow students have applied, and they sometimes have trepidation about knowing nobody at their chosen university. So a group event seems like a nice tactic.

I will be very interested to see how it goes. My wife, who also have multiple TU degrees, thinks that Goldie will show up.

My daughter is a BK senior and I was able to persuade her to apply to TU (among 10 schools or so). I think she wants to get out of town, but she put her hat into the ring.

Anyway, I found out today that all the BK kids who applied to TU and who were accepted will be getting their letters handed out in a group setting tomorrow at school. I've not heard of that before, and it seems like a smart way to go. Kids don't always know where their fellow students have applied, and they sometimes have trepidation about knowing nobody at their chosen university. So a group event seems like a nice tactic.

I will be very interested to see how it goes. My wife, who also have multiple TU degrees, thinks that Goldie will show up.
I have to assume that everyone who applied from BK got in then…. Can you imagine being the person who applied and got denied when a bunch of your friends / acquaintances got publicly recognized. Ouch.

They’ve been doing this for at least a couple of years. The admission team visited Owasso High School and personally handed out the packets when my son was a senior.

This also made the local news at the time when they did the same thing at Tulsa Edison.

I have to assume that everyone who applied from BK got in then…. Can you imagine being the person who applied and got denied when a bunch of your friends / acquaintances got publicly recognized. Ouch.
Some who applied were not invited apparently...

Oh and Goldie will indeed be attending.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
My daughter is so difficult! Sent a photo of Goldie but not a word about her letter from TU.

• Sad
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Starting to get a better picture of likely costs of attendance for the five schools she has heard from so far. Here they are from best to worst. I suspect @HuffyCane will be unsurprised.

1. KU
2. TU
3. DePaul
4. OU
5. Loyola of Chicago (by a large gap)

I was frankly shocked by OU. Their "fees" are double tuition! And room and board is no bargain. Finally, merit based aid was a pittance. Crazy that Kansas would be so much better for an OK citizen. She has ruled out DePaul and OU.

TU is finally getting her attention a bit and she is applying for the Presidential scholarship. If she can snag that I think we can keep her. Maybe without it, but need to find about 8k more somewhere to make it work.

Wildcards are U of Chicago (especially) and Wash U. No word yet on either. If she managed to be part of the 6% accepted at U of Chicago it might be hard to say no. Even with no tuition for 4 years at TU.

Feels like the WC knockout stages.

Last edited:
Starting to get a better picture of likely costs of attendance for the five schools she has heard from so far. Here they are from best to worst.

1. KU
2. TU
3. DePaul
4. OU

I was frankly shocked by OU. Their "fees" are double tuition! And room and board is no bargain. Finally, merit based aid was a pittance. Crazy that Kansas would be so much better for an OK citizen. She has ruled out DePaul and OU.

TU is finally getting her attention a bit and she is applying for the Presidential scholarship. If she can snag that I think we can keep her.

Wildcards are U of Chicago (especially) and Wash U. No word yet on either. If she managed to be part of the 6% accepted at U of Chicago it might be hard to say no. Even with no tuition for 4 years at TU.

If she doesn’t get the President’s Scholarship, make sure to have her ask about the TU Commitment scholarship.

It’s not advertised too much but her recruiter should have the info.

Both of my kids wrote a short essay about growing up watching Tulsa Football and got a nice 4-year award for their efforts.

Reactions: TU_BLA and drboobay
If she doesn’t get the President’s Scholarship, make sure to have her ask about the TU Commitment scholarship.

It’s not advertised too much but her recruiter should have the info.

Both of my kids wrote a short essay about growing up watching Tulsa Football and got a nice 4-year award for their efforts.
Thanks for the tip. She is not a sports fan . But if they accept other topics like enjoying snacks and wandering the stadium we are good.

Thanks for the tip. She is not a sports fan . But if they accept other topics like enjoying snacks and wandering the stadium we are good.
We wish her the best. We found the commitment award to be a suitable replacement to the legacy and sibling grants that were discontinued a few years ago.

This is really nice to read about. I’m involved with the College and other academic programs.
Scholarships and other perks can make a difference

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Starting to get a better picture of likely costs of attendance for the five schools she has heard from so far. Here they are from best to worst. I suspect @HuffyCane will be unsurprised.

1. KU
2. TU
3. DePaul
4. OU

TU is finally getting her attention a bit and she is applying for the Presidential scholarship. If she can snag that I think we can keep her. Maybe without it, but need to find about 8k more somewhere to make it work.

Best of luck to your daughter. We hope it is TU because of what it meant to so many of us but regardless of the final decision wish her well in the next phase of her life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT